Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark Knopfler 1958 Les Paul  (Read 67957 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Mark Knopfler 1958 Les Paul
« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2020, 08:56:28 AM »
Ooh, sneaky!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

hunter

« Reply #211 on: July 27, 2020, 09:48:11 AM »
Indeed.

OfflinePeter1981

• Camerado
« Reply #213 on: March 12, 2023, 12:57:09 AM »
man, those prices are seriously getting way out of hand

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #214 on: March 12, 2023, 10:33:08 AM »
man, those prices are seriously getting way out of hand

Also interesting for me... How this kind of wood is acceptable in a custom shop handmade 1 out of 50 limited edition signed uber ultra mega rare guitars? It's all stripey and looks like has a snag in it. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA+ wood indeed.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #215 on: March 12, 2023, 01:47:28 PM »
I don't see it as a music instrument to be played anymore but an object for collection.

The only interest is its $ value and to expose it on the wall.

I mean is it possible to buy from Gibson Custom Shop a new LP with the exact same spec minus the artificial ageing ?
And how much would it cost then?

I'd wish to be able to buy one of these 50, that would mean that I have become way healthier financially than I currently am  ;D
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #216 on: March 12, 2023, 02:49:47 PM »
I have one of the MK signature Strats. In my head the Strat is a different "thing" to the Les Paul, because although they were based on his 60's Strat Mark used them a lot live and when recording, and so I feel I am playing the same guitar as he does and not a "copy".
I know he's been using the signature Les Paul for some songs on his more recent tours, but he was still using the "real" '58, and due to the nature of the Gibsons (faded sunburst finish and pattern and depth of flame on the top) I feel that the Les Pauls are more of a "close copy" which he has been using on a few songs for contractural reasons with Gibson. On that basis (and also the cost of course), I wasn't interested in getting one of the signature Les Pauls, particularly when I could get this for £2100.00

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dtvaviationimages/52414708791/in/album-72157627669196085/
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 02:57:02 PM by 3Strats »
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #217 on: March 12, 2023, 09:44:16 PM »
I have one of the MK signature Strats. In my head the Strat is a different "thing" to the Les Paul, because although they were based on his 60's Strat Mark used them a lot live and when recording, and so I feel I am playing the same guitar as he does and not a "copy".
I know he's been using the signature Les Paul for some songs on his more recent tours, but he was still using the "real" '58, and due to the nature of the Gibsons (faded sunburst finish and pattern and depth of flame on the top) I feel that the Les Pauls are more of a "close copy" which he has been using on a few songs for contractural reasons with Gibson. On that basis (and also the cost of course), I wasn't interested in getting one of the signature Les Pauls, particularly when I could get this for £2100.00

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dtvaviationimages/52414708791/in/album-72157627669196085/

I thought he had only the sig LP on tour in 2019, no more the original 58 which stood in the studio... did I miss something ?  :think

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
« Reply #218 on: March 13, 2023, 12:57:46 AM »
I almost got one when they came out from Peach Guitars but it was gone before I was able to answer that email! I think it was VOS and not aged and "reasonably priced" for a custom shop limited edition guitar.

I know you can have one that is not signature edition (Strat, Martin or Gibson) at any time and perhaps cheaper but those Strats were not really that much more expensive when new, if at all. I only passed because at that time I didn't like the colour all that much. Shame on me. And you can still have Clapton's Martin acoustic, and it's also more or less the same price as their non-signature guitar. How hard can it be to come to an agreement to keep making some kind of signature MK guitar, be it Strat, Martin or Gibson? Make a very limited collector's edition for all I care as well, nothing wrong with that, but why not something aspiring musicians can actually afford as well? If you're not going to make a MK signature guitar, who's are you going to make then? 50 cent's and van Buuren's? Come on?!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #219 on: March 13, 2023, 09:03:47 AM »
I almost got one when they came out from Peach Guitars but it was gone before I was able to answer that email! I think it was VOS and not aged and "reasonably priced" for a custom shop limited edition guitar.

I know you can have one that is not signature edition (Strat, Martin or Gibson) at any time and perhaps cheaper but those Strats were not really that much more expensive when new, if at all. I only passed because at that time I didn't like the colour all that much. Shame on me. And you can still have Clapton's Martin acoustic, and it's also more or less the same price as their non-signature guitar. How hard can it be to come to an agreement to keep making some kind of signature MK guitar, be it Strat, Martin or Gibson? Make a very limited collector's edition for all I care as well, nothing wrong with that, but why not something aspiring musicians can actually afford as well? If you're not going to make a MK signature guitar, who's are you going to make then? 50 cent's and van Buuren's? Come on?!

Yes, I hope MK has a very solid reason to not continue with signature guitars. Should they have poor sales, I'd get it, but they're selling like crazy! No matter what the original asking price is, it will sell. And if it's almost affordable, like MK Strat was when it was available, it sells like nothing else. Even to this day.

Not sure about aspiring musicians though. I remember literally "smelling catalogues" with MK Sig Strat, digital catalogues that is. I could never ever afford such a guitar when I was a beginner or even an intermediate player, and now when I stopped being a beginner and get-a-life fan, I just don't need it anymore.

But should they reissue MK Sig, or better yet, made a more affordable version of it (say, Mexican-made), it would be awesome. After all, I think the appeal of signature instruments should be directed at aspiring musicians, young musicians, and not professionals who have their "signature" guitars anyway.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #220 on: March 13, 2023, 10:12:27 AM »
When they came out MK said he would like to see a Mexican version, shame they never did it. OR even a Squier version.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #221 on: March 13, 2023, 11:00:04 AM »
When they came out MK said he would like to see a Mexican version, shame they never did it. OR even a Squier version.

That would be fabulous. They even made a Mexican-made version of my main axe — a mini Strat with a 23" scale length, but it's so rare and expensive now that it makes no sense trying to hunt for it. Or it was Japanese-made, I'm not sure. But either way, affordable guitars are the best thing on the planet... So much joy without breaking the bank. It's easy to have a great guitar when you ask $1500−∞ for it. Try to do it for 800, 500, or even 200 bucks, and now we're talking!

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
« Reply #222 on: March 13, 2023, 11:09:58 AM »

I thought he had only the sig LP on tour in 2019, no more the original 58 which stood in the studio... did I miss something ?  :think

From my photos you can make out that he is using different Les Pauls, including the '58. It's hard to tell because his hand often casts a shadow over the spot on the '58 where the wooden plug was inserted when it was restored, but it looked like he was using a signature model whenever he had a capo on the guitar, and on Why Aye Man he was using one with the neck pickup turned round a-la Peter Green (although I haven't got a photo of that). I asked Guy if he'd had the Peter Green mod done but got no reply. You can see the neck pickup IS reversed in this video, and he is using the middle position (both pickups).  Another giveaway is that the guitars have different straps. It's unlikely that Glenn would be changing straps between songs so that's another indicator that they are on different guitars.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 11:30:39 AM by 3Strats »
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

seats 21 & 22

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #223 on: March 13, 2023, 06:05:48 PM »

From my photos you can make out that he is using different Les Pauls, including the '58. It's hard to tell because his hand often casts a shadow over the spot on the '58 where the wooden plug was inserted when it was restored, but it looked like he was using a signature model whenever he had a capo on the guitar, and on Why Aye Man he was using one with the neck pickup turned round a-la Peter Green (although I haven't got a photo of that). I asked Guy if he'd had the Peter Green mod done but got no reply. You can see the neck pickup IS reversed in this video, and he is using the middle position (both pickups).  Another giveaway is that the guitars have different straps. It's unlikely that Glenn would be changing straps between songs so that's another indicator that they are on different guitars.

ok thanks
of course there were different LP on that tour, but that doesn't mean the 58 was there
I thought that in 2019 he didn't bring "vintage" guitars no more (no more National, no more jurassic strat , etc...)

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
« Reply #224 on: March 13, 2023, 08:07:25 PM »

ok thanks
of course there were different LP on that tour, but that doesn't mean the 58 was there
I thought that in 2019 he didn't bring "vintage" guitars no more (no more National, no more jurassic strat , etc...)

I'm satisfied that ( at Newcastle at least) he was playing the '58 on four songs. Once upon a time in the West, Your Latest Trick, Silvertown Blues & Speeedway At Nazareth. He changed to one of the Signature models for MFN & Going Home, and used a different signature model (with a capo) on Why Aye Man. The signature models look a bit more red around the pickup selector switch.

It's not the best shot, but this is the '58. Looking back at my Tracker tour photos it had the same strap on.
https://dtvaviationimages.co.uk/mark-knopfler-tour-photos/down-the-road-wherever-tour-2019/mk_0065lq/

seats 21 & 22

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 41 queries.