Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK and Tommy Emmanuel  (Read 44548 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: MK and Tommy Emmanuel
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2018, 01:45:06 PM »
I actually like the tune itself very much and Mark's tipsy singing doesn't bother me at all. My problem with it is that it sounds like a poorly recorded pub performance. I didn't expect anything fancy with long solos or anything like that, just a nice and warm song performed by two legendary musicians and a little band - and a metronome lol can anybody else hear the little, let's say, mistakes that I hear?

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but couldn't what some perceive as "poorly recorded", "little mistakes" or "first take" be done intentionally by the BG perfectionist to correspond with the one they sing about and that needs more than just beauty sleep?

A couple of things to consider: it's Mark and Tommy literally playing together for the first time (on record) and with Mark being not a monster virtuoso jazz giant with whom Tommy usually plays, it's going to be a slightly rough performance already, which goes along the song well anyway and maybe because of that Mark thought about this song to play in the first place.

Second, is that of course this song is on Tommy's album and it completely changes all in terms of the sound, because Tommy's the boss in this situation. Mark and anyone else in his studio can have their opinion, but hey, it's Tommy's record!

To be honest for this reason I don't like Tommy & Chet duet album, because the sound is too... Cocktail, too lounge and laid-back. Mark & Chet duo album, in the other hand, has a very good sound. So maybe Mark had some impact on the overall sound, but anyway, the new song sounds like one take, because these two love to brag about recording anything with the first take :lol

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2018, 02:48:28 PM »
Never mind, we actually have an answer from the man himself:

“When I approached Mark Knopfler about playing on my album, he told me he would love to but it has to be one of his songs and ‘none of that fast shit.’ I immediately concurred, as I love all his compositions. I made my way to his studio in London and we sat down with our acoustic guitars and he sang me the song. It’s brilliantly written, and honestly and humbly performed. We recorded it like a performance, playing and singing in the same room. We purposely left it raw and didn’t try to polish it up. It was a great experience for me to be directed by such an accomplished artist as Mark.”

OnlineD44mu

• Guitar George
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2018, 05:36:43 PM »
And so everything is said and done :clap
No further interpretation or wishes necessary.
Reminds me when i was a kid in school and we have to interpret an author in a way "why he has written this and that and what he possible thought about".
Things are often quite simple.
By the way:
I like this song very much! :D

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2018, 05:36:51 PM »
The middle acoustic solo can be divided in two parts. Who plays which part? Any thoughts on that?
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2018, 06:00:54 PM »
The middle acoustic solo can be divided in two parts. Who plays which part? Any thoughts on that?

First one Tommy, then Marky.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2018, 06:57:33 PM »

Yes, my thoughts too.

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2018, 07:44:02 PM »
none of that fast shit.’

Tommy is an incredible player and can play so fast it defies belief. But I don't like his fast shit and he's often going very fast. I can't put my finger on it but it's lacking something. When he slows down it's just so much better. And when he slows right down to meet Mark, it gets really good. I like it. I like pipes and whistles too but it's about time he takes another turn again. To go in this particular direction would be kind of going where he was before. But that's not necessarily such a bad thing. I'm looking forward to the past (see what I did there?  ;D )

Love Expresso

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2018, 09:04:56 PM »

Yes, my thoughts too.

So Tommy is the one who nails it and Mark had that pretty audible mistake at 1:46 in it? Something he would never accept on his own recording? Another way of dismantle his guitar hero status? Or just  showing disrespect to Tommy? That "fast shit" sentence was not nice. Would have been cooler to accept the challenge and show Tommy the meaning of "fast"...

LE
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:12:27 PM by Love Expresso »

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2018, 09:08:16 PM »

Yes, my thoughts too.

So Tommy is the one who nails it and Mark had that pretty audible greenie in it?

LE
Lol, im afraid so ;)

Love Expresso

« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2018, 09:12:45 PM »
link=topic=5833.msg118949#msg118949 date=1515787496]

Yes, my thoughts too.

So Tommy is the one who nails it and Mark had that pretty audible mistake at 1:46 in it? Something he would never accept on his own recording? Another way of dismantle his guitar hero status? Or just  showing disrespect to Tommy? That "fast shit" sentence was not nice. Would have been cooler to accept the challenge and show Tommy the meaning of "fast" instead...

Sorry I was still in the writing process...  :lol

LE
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:16:05 PM by Love Expresso »

Love Expresso

« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2018, 09:23:51 PM »
I like the very warm Martin sound of Mark's playing though. You can almost smell the wood...

This song would not even have been a b-side or a bonus track in earlier times... 2:47?  Is he trying to provoke us in showing how simple and low a song can get?
Really, this is some guitar plucking that really needs no "big name", no  "sensational collaboration" thing. Wake these guys up at 3 a.m. and they will play you better stuff than this any time. Is it really wrong to have at least SOME expectations in MK still?

LE

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2018, 09:45:34 PM »
where it is written that there must be something big ?
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2018, 10:01:02 PM »
none of that fast shit.’

Tommy is an incredible player and can play so fast it defies belief. But I don't like his fast shit and he's often going very fast. I can't put my finger on it but it's lacking something. When he slows down it's just so much better. And when he slows right down to meet Mark, it gets really good. I like it. I like pipes and whistles too but it's about time he takes another turn again. To go in this particular direction would be kind of going where he was before. But that's not necessarily such a bad thing. I'm looking forward to the past (see what I did there?  ;D )

I love this video of Tommy and Les Paul:

Watch past 1:00 minute mark and wait for it! Pretty much sums up Mark's quote about fast shit.

Love Expresso

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2018, 10:08:33 PM »
Nowhere of course. But one might have some expectations nevertheless.

(For example, Pottel dreams of a Gilmour/Knopfler collaboration. Mark strums his acoustic silently in the back and David only plays some tasteful licks during a 2:50 song or something? )

Expectations. ..

LE

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2018, 10:17:30 PM »
I understand. It's a very simple joyful song. Maybe this was the assumption. I do not know if I had expectations regarding this cooperation. I prefer, however, as Mark sings with a lower voice :)

ps. sorry for my english
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 45 queries.