Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Speculations about the MK secret project  (Read 57440 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Speculations about the MK secret project
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2017, 08:47:08 AM »
Thinking about Lynda La Plante musical with MK that never happened I found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lynda-La-Plantes-Civvies-2-Discs-Jason-Isaacs-Lennie-James-New-DVD-/182603275263?hash=item2a8400dbff:g:Td0AAOSwubRXLcNP

It says that the score is written by Mark Knopfler, did any of you know what´s this?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2017, 08:49:42 AM »
Didn't realise that was a quote from the film.

Local Hero adaptation makes sense. Only musicals that make money for the most part these days are adaptations and "jukebox" musicals.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

Do you think it makes sense to do it for the West End? It's a very Scottish thing, so maybe Scotland theaters would be more appropiate...

Actually, I wish it's for Scottish theaters, I need any excuse to travel again to wonderful Scotland!!!!!

;D

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2017, 08:56:56 AM »
This is all still speculation. I don't recall anything being announced officially yet. Would it really be that bad if it was a musical? as it is something he has never done before, how can we say if it will be bad or good? And if it is a musical, at least he is doing different things again, unlike most of his contemporaries do!!

Indeed. There is still absolutely no certainty as to what this project is exactly. For all we know, the writer of the article on Richard Bennett may have got completely the wrong end of the stick. And whatever it is, regardless of how successful it turns out to be or whether it is to everyone's taste, we know from past experience that Mark will do the best job he possibly can. If these song titles are correct, then it's a bit disappointing they've been leaked so early on. I'd much rather find out about the details at the appropriate time, when they are officially made available.
Fair enough. The point of this new subforum is to speculate on forthcoming projects so inevitably there will be some spoilers.

I'll see if we can get it marked with a spoiler warning for people who don't want to know such things.

if this is "speculation" then it's not spoiler. Spoiler is to reveal something is known to be truth, so, this is or a speculation or a spoiler, but can't be both at the same time.

;D

Maybe the right name to this thread might be "Speculations about the MK secret project"
If the speculation turns out to be right, then it's a spoiler. :)

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2017, 08:57:39 AM »
Thinking about Lynda La Plante musical with MK that never happened I found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lynda-La-Plantes-Civvies-2-Discs-Jason-Isaacs-Lennie-James-New-DVD-/182603275263?hash=item2a8400dbff:g:Td0AAOSwubRXLcNP

It says that the score is written by Mark Knopfler, did any of you know what´s this?
My guess is that some of his songs were used in the soundtrack, not new stuff.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2017, 08:59:42 AM »
Didn't realise that was a quote from the film.

Local Hero adaptation makes sense. Only musicals that make money for the most part these days are adaptations and "jukebox" musicals.

Do you think it makes sense to do it for the West End? It's a very Scottish thing, so maybe Scotland theaters would be more appropiate...

Actually, I wish it's for Scottish theaters, I need any excuse to travel again to wonderful Scotland!!!!!

;D
You are welcome to come and stay with me free of charge any time you like my friend. :)

Not much of a theatre scene in Scotland, yes, the cities all have theatres but it's not like Broadway or The West End where people make a special trip just to see a few shows.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2017, 09:01:38 AM »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0182008/soundtrack

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2017, 09:17:43 AM »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0182008/soundtrack

Then saying that the score was composed by MK was way too much, LOL

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2017, 09:27:59 AM »
I dunno, regardless of what Guy said, those titles sure seem to fit Local Hero to me.  There's even a quote from the movie "you can't eat the scenery".

And consider the song on this list "I Wonder If I Can Go Home Again" vs "Going Home"

I'll have to go back and reread exactly what Guy said about Local Hero, but he's certainly been known to redirect attention if a guess gets too close.

I agree that Guy's statement about Richard being misquoted is likely about Broadway vs a musical in general. I'm betting it's for the theater in London.

At any rate, we'll all know eventually what this mystery project is.

Makes perfect sense. I guess a Local Hero musical will be what we get. The song title "A Barrel of Crude" fits perfectly, too.

OnlineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2017, 11:34:29 AM »
This is all still speculation. I don't recall anything being announced officially yet. Would it really be that bad if it was a musical? as it is something he has never done before, how can we say if it will be bad or good? And if it is a musical, at least he is doing different things again, unlike most of his contemporaries do!!

Indeed. There is still absolutely no certainty as to what this project is exactly. For all we know, the writer of the article on Richard Bennett may have got completely the wrong end of the stick. And whatever it is, regardless of how successful it turns out to be or whether it is to everyone's taste, we know from past experience that Mark will do the best job he possibly can. If these song titles are correct, then it's a bit disappointing they've been leaked so early on. I'd much rather find out about the details at the appropriate time, when they are officially made available.
Fair enough. The point of this new subforum is to speculate on forthcoming projects so inevitably there will be some spoilers.

I'll see if we can get it marked with a spoiler warning for people who don't want to know such things.

if this is "speculation" then it's not spoiler. Spoiler is to reveal something is known to be truth, so, this is or a speculation or a spoiler, but can't be both at the same time.

;D

Maybe the right name to this thread might be "Speculations about the MK secret project"

We agreed and it's done.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2017, 12:41:47 AM »
I dunno, regardless of what Guy said, those titles sure seem to fit Local Hero to me.  There's even a quote from the movie "you can't eat the scenery".

And consider the song on this list "I Wonder If I Can Go Home Again" vs "Going Home"

I'll have to go back and reread exactly what Guy said about Local Hero, but he's certainly been known to redirect attention if a guess gets too close.

I agree that Guy's statement about Richard being misquoted is likely about Broadway vs a musical in general. I'm betting it's for the theater in London.

At any rate, we'll all know eventually what this mystery project is.

Makes perfect sense. I guess a Local Hero musical will be what we get. The song title "A Barrel of Crude" fits perfectly, too.

So MK was asked to write songs for a musical of Local Hero. They are now making a musical of the film and want the same songwriter. Correct me if i am wrong!! But why keep it quiet??

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2017, 01:04:34 AM »
So MK was asked to write songs for a musical of Local Hero. They are now making a musical of the film and want the same songwriter. Correct me if i am wrong!! But why keep it quiet??

Because he's not completely sure if he would bring it out on stage? Some people suggested that and I agree...

Also, it's 35th Anniversary of Local Hero in 2018. And 40th Anniversary of the first Dire Straits album in 2018... How the two can collide?

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2017, 09:55:45 AM »

Because he's not completely sure if he would bring it out on stage? Some people suggested that and I agree...

Also, it's 35th Anniversary of Local Hero in 2018. And 40th Anniversary of the first Dire Straits album in 2018... How the two can collide?

I agree... maybe they are not sure yet if the adaptation they are working on will work until they do the firsts readings...

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2017, 11:20:19 AM »
Okay but i found it hard to believe since they are working on this project since almost 1 year now that they will nothing do with it.....

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2017, 11:23:30 AM »
Okay but i found it hard to believe since they are working on this project since almost 1 year now that they will nothing do with it.....

The most expensive part of the project is the stage/representation one. Once Mk has wrote the songs, they have to do a first read of the book written for the play together with the songs and see if it works or not. If it doesn't work, there are two options, re-work on it or abandon it before you get into the expensive part of create everything that is needed for the stage representation.

I guess many musicals and plays are abandoned in that step. I´m not an expert but, I guess that's how it is.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2017, 11:32:41 AM »
Good question for Guy on his forum about the secret project.  :thumbsup
I am curious what his answer will be.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 38 queries.