Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Speculations about the MK secret project  (Read 57451 times)

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
Re: Speculations about the MK secret project
« Reply #180 on: August 25, 2017, 10:14:44 AM »
The problem is that we do not know what obligations he has for this secret project. Is it just making music for this musical and when this is done what more can he do besides a couple of interviews and showing up at the premiere..  ???

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #181 on: August 25, 2017, 10:16:24 AM »
As long as the new tour would be much better in quality I'm willing to wait 2, 3, 5 years, how much he wants it. Another copy and paste tour I wouldn't be bother to visit.

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #182 on: August 25, 2017, 10:24:20 AM »
The problem is that we do not know what obligations he has for this secret project. Is it just making music for this musical and when this is done what more can he do besides a couple of interviews and showing up at the premiere..  ???

I wish he and his musicians could do some representations playing, but I doubt that would happen. I'd be happy if he does something like Sting did with "The Last Ship", playing the whole musicial himself with his musicians in a theatre in a one night only show (was it one night only?)

As the musical composer, in the final stages of the play before it gets to the theaters there will be many things to fix and he would have to do it, and probably he would have to be a kind of musical director during the rehearsals with the musicians that finally will play during the performances to be sure that everything is done properly.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #183 on: August 25, 2017, 11:09:19 AM »
Mark has no obligation to tour every two or three years this is just that we are used to this scheme.

We are not in the writing-recording-touring mode, some extra project has been inserted.

Add that some delay can occur for almost any project. This happened with the GH release and the subsequent 1995 planned "His First Solo Tour".

Last but not least Mark is ageing and may need more time / shorter tour such as doing US fall tour instead of doing both Europe and North America with only a 15 days break or so in between.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #184 on: August 28, 2017, 08:48:23 AM »
Mark has no obligation to tour every two or three years this is just that we are used to this scheme.

He hasn't. We are used to this scheme, of course, and that's the only thing we have to speculate

We are not in the writing-recording-touring mode, some extra project has been inserted.

And that's why we are more than speculating, cause this time there are extra factors

Add that some delay can occur for almost any project. This happened with the GH release and the subsequent 1995 planned "His First Solo Tour".

And with the STP release, three film scores (Metroland, Wag the dog and A shot at glory) interfered with the STP recording process and it took four years between the GH tour and STP release.

Last but not least Mark is ageing and may need more time / shorter tour such as doing US fall tour instead of doing both Europe and North America with only a 15 days break or so in between.

Actually he is doing that for the last two tours. First a European tour between Late April/May and July, and then a two months Fall tour in NA.

In my humble opinion, he plays too many gigs during his European tour, too much cities in Germany, Spain, France... usually he played just three or four as much, in the biggest cities, so the older he gets the more gigs he plays, he is doing it the opposite way...

In Spain we were used to have between two and three concerts (Madrid, Barcelona and other town,sometimes Bilbao, others Zaragoza...) but the last three tours he played a minimun of six concerts, usually in towns he never played before...

Whatever, let's hope that September bring us at least, some information to keep speculating and having fun while something happens!

OnlineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #185 on: August 28, 2017, 09:42:30 AM »

In my humble opinion, he plays too many gigs during his European tour, too much cities in Germany, Spain, France... usually he played just three or four as much, in the biggest cities, so the older he gets the more gigs he plays, he is doing it the opposite way...

In Spain we were used to have between two and three concerts (Madrid, Barcelona and other town,sometimes Bilbao, others Zaragoza...) but the last three tours he played a minimun of six concerts, usually in towns he never played before...

Whatever, let's hope that September bring us at least, some information to keep speculating and having fun while something happens!

I feel the exact opposite in France. The last time he went in Lyon was 2010 ! I find he is doing not enough dates in France....but of course that's from my point of view....

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #186 on: August 28, 2017, 09:48:07 AM »
In my view he cancels too much shows in Russia :lol

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #187 on: August 28, 2017, 09:48:51 AM »
If ageing is a factor, then the logical thing would be to play in just two or three of the biggest cities in the biggest countries, in one or two in the smallets, but MK is doing just the opposite.

But, in France, is he playing more or less concerts that he used to play let´s say in the GH/STP/SL/KTGC tours? From my point of view, is from the GL tour where his tours became bigger and bigger.

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #188 on: August 28, 2017, 09:54:21 AM »

Funny remark  ;D Sad situation  :(

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #189 on: August 28, 2017, 11:25:50 AM »
Let's say that a Local Hero musical is the secret project, Ok? JUST SPECULATING...

How big do you think this could be?

Do you see a "Local Hero Musical" being in the West End theaters for some months or even a year or two?

Do you think it might have a short period of time in the West End just to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the film?

Or maybe a short run in Scottish theaters in, let's speculate Glasgow, Edinburgh or Aberdeen (if it has a big theatre, it would make more sense due the distance with Penan...)?

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #190 on: August 28, 2017, 01:12:01 PM »
I'm not much into musicals but I think it all depends on ticketsales. If it is good and it gets good reviews a musical can easily run for 1 year or more... But there are plenty over the years that were off stage in 6 months or so because people were not comming....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #191 on: August 28, 2017, 01:30:14 PM »

Funny remark  ;D Sad situation  :(

He cancels concerts due to his own politics and his own fans are the ones missing out.  Strange situation.  If I had this attitude then I wouldn't play a concert in Scotland.

Regarding other countries, I think it would benefit both Mark and fans alike if he would play a few nights in a big city.  Easy to get to and less exhausting travelling for Mark and band. 
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #192 on: August 28, 2017, 06:39:53 PM »

Well I think too that he plays 1 or 2 gigs too much here in Germany but at least people are buying his tickets.
Every concert got an attendance of minimum 6000 . Some get 10000 so why not playing 10-12 gigs?
In Spain the same. So I really hope he stays with this number as I tend to attend another spanish gig.
Such wonderful Bullrings and other settings. and the atmosphere is unbeaten in Europe.
All in all Mark covers European Areas very well. As he does in the US and Canada.
I Am a great Joe Bonamassa Fan as well. He only plays nowadays where he earns money.
His European Tour only consists of UK, Germany and 1 gig in Poland. That's it...
Would have loe to see him at Palau de la Musica in Barcelona e.g.
Love will find a Way

Love Expresso

« Reply #193 on: August 28, 2017, 07:26:27 PM »
Boy, this "Musical" thing starts to get soo annoying.. flooding this (and Guy's) forum with all this useless speculations ... no wonder they call us get-a-lifers... can't we just wait until at least there is the smallest piece of official announcement or confirmation, for heaven's sake? I get tired of checking new posts on AMIT just to find out they start another "what-if"-scenery or discuss totally useless theoretical aspects of a theoretical event that maybe never takes place. I know I could better get off this forum then for a while yes, and probably will do as I have other things in life to do than waste my time reading stuff that really leads to nothing.

And don't tell me this thread has written "speculation" in it's topic. Nobody  never ever cares about being off-topic or on-topic in this whole forum, another thing that always annoys me but better should be discussed not now...

Just my opinion, no offence meant to anybody, .. rant over.

LE

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #194 on: August 28, 2017, 07:56:54 PM »
I understand what you men but I believe that this is also the first time MK is working on a new project for almost one year now without sharing any information about it. So that's giving us plenty of time to speculate about it.....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 40 queries.