Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 3 Chord Trick (Legacy)  (Read 88335 times)

OfflineTrawlerman

• Local Hero
Re: 3 Chord Trick (Legacy)
« Reply #345 on: January 10, 2018, 01:47:22 AM »
Pretty sure Mark won't show up. And if he doesn't then Guy won't either obviously.

John and Alan will most likely represent the band. John because he's always been proud of his baby and Alan because he wouldn't want to miss the spotlight.
David... not that sure if he really wants to be there.

Axl Rose wasn't there for the Guns N'Roses induction and it didn't stop anything. The band was represented by former members who haven't been in the band for like 15 years at that time and they played a couple of songs with singer Myles Kennedy who's never been in the band at all to fill in for Axl.

Phil Palmer, there's no reason for him to be there. Not all members are inducted. They usually include the original, classic and most relevant members of a band.
That would be Mark, David, John, Pick (classic line-up) with the addition of Guy and Alan because of Brothers In Arms.

BUT. A couple of songs will be played and that will be the interesting part because it doesn't necessarily have to be played by the inductees, meaning Phil or whoever could very well show up to fill in for Mark. Alan being an inductee himself, he would have every right to invite his people to play some Dire Straits songs. Not that I would want to see that, just saying that he could. Now take a deep breath. If Mark doesn't show up,  we could very well see Dire Straits being inducted and Legacy perform some songs. And Mark couldn't do anything about that. That would be ugly right ?

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #346 on: January 10, 2018, 08:12:58 AM »
BUT. A couple of songs will be played and that will be the interesting part because it doesn't necessarily have to be played by the inductees, meaning Phil or whoever could very well show up to fill in for Mark. Alan being an inductee himself, he would have every right to invite his people to play some Dire Straits songs. Not that I would want to see that, just saying that he could. Now take a deep breath. If Mark doesn't show up,  we could very well see Dire Straits being inducted and Legacy perform some songs. And Mark couldn't do anything about that. That would be ugly right ?

Disgusting yes, but to be expected, unfortunately. MK has a very strange relationship with his own invention (I mean DS), so as with people who co-created it with him and with its LEGACY, please excuse the term. It’s a funny situation when you can understand the motivation of both of the parties, but wonder how they would go out of this rather uncomfortable situation.

My guess is also MK refuses to go, Guy too as a friendly gesture. John, Alan and Co don’t mind going at all, collecting all the awards and most importantly, actually having the right to do so. Some awkward performance maybe and everybody goes or stays at home feeling the accomplish... ness. Amen.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #347 on: January 10, 2018, 10:16:25 AM »
I hope you are wrong  :'(
I'd rather see Mark and John like for the depford plaque event
I would prefer that with no songs played, rather than legacy playing  :disbelief

first best scenario : mark will go and perform with David John Guy and Alan. And a hired drummer ? (I read that Pick won't go) or maybe without drummer, like in Boothbay ?
second best scenario : mark will go and perform with John and Guy, but David and Alan won't go, or will stay in the audience
average scenario : Mark will go, will say 3 words, but will not perform, and no song will be played. John, Guy, and maybe Alan will be there, but no rellay warmness between them
bad scenario : Mark will go, won't perform, but other unknown musicians will perform
worst scenario : Mark won't go, and legacy will perform

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #348 on: January 10, 2018, 10:39:19 AM »
If Mark does not feel like it, he can always ask his friends John and Guy who will represent him. Yes it can be :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #349 on: January 10, 2018, 10:41:44 AM »
I hope you are wrong  :'(
I'd rather see Mark and John like for the depford plaque event
I would prefer that with no songs played, rather than legacy playing  :disbelief

first best scenario : mark will go and perform with David John Guy and Alan. And a hired drummer ? (I read that Pick won't go) or maybe without drummer, like in Boothbay ?
second best scenario : mark will go and perform with John and Guy, but David and Alan won't go, or will stay in the audience
average scenario : Mark will go, will say 3 words, but will not perform, and no song will be played. John, Guy, and maybe Alan will be there, but no rellay warmness between them
bad scenario : Mark will go, won't perform, but other unknown musicians will perform
worst scenario : Mark won't go, and legacy will perform
Worst scenario will never happen.
That is giving the Legacy guys a way to big platform/podium and the last thing MK wants is that to happen i think.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #350 on: January 10, 2018, 10:56:35 AM »
yes I hope you are right but Trawlerman's post scared me....
I know he doesn't want to see that, but saying that it could possible...aaarggh

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #351 on: January 10, 2018, 10:58:02 AM »
MK won't agree to any joint ceremony with DK or AC.
And since those two crave desperately for any tiny bit of publicity they won't step back for the sake of MK, the only mastermind of DS.
And that's why he won't even attend the ceremony and the whole thing threatens to become an embarrassing farce.
It's as simple as that.

"We are ever so sorry Mark isn't with us here tonight, since he, too, has some share in our band's success, but unfortunatelly he couldn't make it..."
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 11:24:09 AM by Skydiver »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #352 on: January 10, 2018, 11:37:38 AM »
MK won't agree to any joint ceremony with DK or AC.

I thought the same some months ago, but like Pavel I am an optimistic, and I still have hope that Mark could make an exception just for one hour or two

or another solution : Alan could have a "gentleman" attitude and he could be staying "discrete" : either not going to the ceremony, or going but staying back on the side and not trying to "steal" the limelight

I still have hope in human beahviour in general, and in this case, both sides could do an effort, just for one time. It's not THAT difficult

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #353 on: January 10, 2018, 12:46:43 PM »
First, i'm sure that the RARHOF has a protocol for this...

I read comments made from all the DS members inducted except MK, and all of them said they would like to attend the induction ceremony except Pick Withers that said in his facebook that he is not considering it by now. All of them who said they want to attend are "waiting" MK decision, because they were all members of DS, but the main man in DS was obviously MK.

If MK says no, it looks like John wants to go anyway... what happen with the rest? As far as they are inducted, I guess they can go to the ceremony even MK doesn't go, as far as the inductee is the band DIRE STRAITS, and they (MK, DK, John, Pick, Alan and Guy) are all inductees in the Hall Of Fame.

About performing... I read Alan said that it would be great to perform if MK wants to. Apparently he didn't consider to play without him, as the inductees are DS.

But... but David Knopfler and Alan Clark had played together for many years (at least three records and at least one tour) and John is "the good guy" so maybe they can play together something, just to celebrate the induction. I guess they can unless the Hall Of Fame protocol says they can't. However, if they do, I'm sure that in this case, they would ask MK if that's ok. Because this induction is about DIRE STRAITS, and DS it's MK's band. This is not about a tribute band, it's about THE band.

I know most of you don't mind from any of what I'm telling, as it's not the fresh flesh you want to keep the moaning growing, but... I don't mind about this narrow way of thinking anyway.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #354 on: January 10, 2018, 02:00:45 PM »
Are you serious, jbaent? I can only see very polite and reasoned discussion. What flesh you're constantly talking about? Yes, some people have different opinions, but it doesn't mean we want to kill everybody in sight. I'm a bit of insulted when being called like that. It's so easy to tell everybody to go and "moan somewhere else".

At the same time there's literally nothing in your post I'm personally would not be agreed with. A really good analysis of a situation.

You can't beat the facts anyway, like people being confused by the Legacy/Experience/Legends advertising as DIRE STRAITS* for example.

*tribute band

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #355 on: January 10, 2018, 02:16:55 PM »
Are you serious, jbaent? I can only see very polite and reasoned discussion. What flesh you're constantly talking about? Yes, some people have different opinions, but it doesn't mean we want to kill everybody in sight. I'm a bit of insulted when being called like that. It's so easy to tell everybody to go and "moan somewhere else".

At the same time there's literally nothing in your post I'm personally would not be agreed with. A really good analysis of a situation.

You can't beat the facts anyway, like people being confused by the Legacy/Experience/Legends advertising as DIRE STRAITS* for example.

*tribute band

What I mean with fresh flesh is that some of you (and I don't mean exactly you) looks like whatever is said, is twisted to keep insulting Phil, Alan etc etc etc. Even what they say is correct and trying to solve the logical confusion of the DS Legacy vs Legacy and anything regarding the Hall Of Fame thing, it doesn't matter what they say, because their words are going to be twisted to mean not what they say, but what "the moaners" want it to say, so they can keep throwing wood to the fire.

Anybody has an opinion, of course, everybody are entitled to express their opinion, of course. But if some opinions are always shootin the piano player, whatever he says or do, I'm also in my right to point that it is just looking for fresh flesh, or using the above example, put more wood into the fire, and keep shooting the piano player.

I never mind about Phil Palmer, in fact I never liked his playing, to me, is the very last DS guitarist in my list, too technical, too good, but no soul, in my opinion, but if I read something he says, good or bad, I don't let my personal opinion to get over what I read. Palmer made an statement, that's it to me. Same with anything else whoever says. All stories have at least two sides, but we only see one and we don't care of the other, as it's not the side we chosed.

And, by the way, any tribute band, advertise itself as Dire Straits. All of them put their name in the posters, even the DS Legends/Legacy/Experience, but the biggest you can read in the poster is DIRE STRAITS. That's called marketing. And it's often made by the promotors, who wants to sell how much tickets as they can.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:19:47 PM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #356 on: January 10, 2018, 02:53:43 PM »
If Marco plays at the cerimony I'll throw up my guts. I'd rather see UB40 play a raggae version of Brothers in Arms with Eminem rapping over it or U2 doing Calling Elvis - just imagine Bono singing 'Calling Elvis, is anybody home...'.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:56:37 PM by ed_raposo »
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineFriday Night

• Guitar George
« Reply #357 on: January 10, 2018, 02:57:23 PM »
Just to bring some fresh air in here...

Imagine Mark appears and plays Six Blade Knife just with John, Pick & David.
Then Alan & Guy join them to play Romeo & Juliet and Brothers in Arms.
Possibly one more little tune starting with "Thank you-oo!" between R&J and BiA.
Just dreaming.
out on the tower, in a dying sun

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #358 on: January 10, 2018, 03:01:26 PM »
Last part about April 2018

A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #359 on: January 10, 2018, 03:28:33 PM »
And, by the way, any tribute band, advertise itself as Dire Straits. All of them put their name in the posters, even the DS Legends/Legacy/Experience, but the biggest you can read in the poster is DIRE STRAITS. That's called marketing. And it's often made by the promotors, who wants to sell how much tickets as they can.

Ok And, by the way, any tribute band, advertise itself as Dire Straits. All of them put their name in the posters, even the DS Legends/Legacy/Experience, but the biggest you can read in the poster is DIRE STRAITS. That's called marketing. And it's often made by the promotors, who wants to sell how much tickets as they can.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 37 queries.