Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Any songs you skip?  (Read 33167 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Any songs you skip?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2008, 08:43:04 PM »
You know, I love Ticket to Heaven, but when I listened to it again recently, it struck me that the first couple of lines don't bear any relation to the rest of the song ("I can see what you're trying to find..." etc).

I feel the same way about the first few lines of True Love Will Never Fade, make no sense with the rest of the song.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2008, 06:25:02 AM »
I have the same feeling about TLwnF.  Just listened to TtH, well, I really wanna hear more acoustic guitar part, the same thing happens when I listen to Iron Hand.

Wishes
Allen
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2020, 03:55:24 PM »
Must Agree with BBB on R&J and Pottel on the album version of PI, although I thought some of the live performances of it were ok. The R&J outro has so impressed me over the years that I made a compilation CD called "You and Me Babe how about it?" which contained what I thought were the best outros to this song from every tour up until 2006. :) ;)

YOU & ME BABE HOW ABOUT IT?

1980-1988:

1. 1980 Boston
2. 1981 Wiesbaden
3. 1982 Birmingham
4. 1983 London
5. 1985 Houston
6. 1986 Sydney
7. 1988 London Mandella

(90's - 2006):

1. 1991 Dortmund
2. 1992 Wobburn Abbey
3. 1996 Vaison
4. 2001 Lucca
5. 2002 London
6. 2005 Boston
7. 2006 Verona

Various venues from 1980 to 2006

Additional comments:
An interesting look at the live version outro's for the very popular Dire Straits (Mark Knopfler) song "Romeo & Juliet. Titled "YOU & ME BABE HOW ABOUT IT?", this compilation is mainly audience recordings but with a couple of soundboards.The sound quality of the recordings including their volumes are different from concert to concert. It's interesting to hear the evoloution of this outro from year to year, including, other band members inputs. From Alan Clark's piano in the early 80's to Terry White's Sax in the mid 80's and Paul Franklin's Pedal steel in the last DS concerts then Guy Fletchers haunting keyboards through the 90's and Richard Bennetts great guitar work of the late 90's and 00's all add to the "live" experience. The Verona version has a slight glitch in the outro - but how could we not include this City in a song about Julio and Julietta. Available on 1 CD. Artwork included.

I have just been reading some old posts, is there are chance this list can be updated to the present day?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 11:52:03 PM by shangri la 1 »
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2020, 09:34:44 PM »
 :thumbsup
tough luck, no skippers here  ;D
three cracked vertebrae mighty man

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2020, 10:21:21 PM »
Just a Boy Away From Home. From the first moment I listened to it, I knew it would be a skipper. I probably listened to it only once and never again.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2020, 10:38:11 PM »
These days it's quicker to list the songs I don't skip!  :lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2020, 06:18:49 AM »
Must Agree with BBB on R&J and Pottel on the album version of PI, although I thought some of the live performances of it were ok. The R&J outro has so impressed me over the years that I made a compilation CD called "You and Me Babe how about it?" which contained what I thought were the best outros to this song from every tour up until 2006. :) ;)

YOU & ME BABE HOW ABOUT IT?

1980-1988:

1. 1980 Boston
2. 1981 Wiesbaden
3. 1982 Birmingham
4. 1983 London
5. 1985 Houston
6. 1986 Sydney
7. 1988 London Mandella

(90's - 2006):

1. 1991 Dortmund
2. 1992 Wobburn Abbey
3. 1996 Vaison
4. 2001 Lucca
5. 2002 London
6. 2005 Boston
7. 2006 Verona

Various venues from 1980 to 2006

Additional comments:
An interesting look at the live version outro's for the very popular Dire Straits (Mark Knopfler) song "Romeo & Juliet. Titled "YOU & ME BABE HOW ABOUT IT?", this compilation is mainly audience recordings but with a couple of soundboards.The sound quality of the recordings including their volumes are different from concert to concert. It's interesting to hear the evoloution of this outro from year to year, including, other band members inputs. From Alan Clark's piano in the early 80's to Terry White's Sax in the mid 80's and Paul Franklin's Pedal steel in the last DS concerts then Guy Fletchers haunting keyboards through the 90's and Richard Bennetts great guitar work of the late 90's and 00's all add to the "live" experience. The Verona version has a slight glitch in the outro - but how could we not include this City in a song about Julio and Julietta. Available on 1 CD. Artwork included.

I have just been reading some old posts, is there are chance this list can be updated to the present day?

Ah! I remember that old chestnut. I still skip the newer versions to hear the outro first!
An updated version would benefit from a higher % of Soundboard versions. Maybe we can poll those interested to shortlist their favorite versions since 2006?
Here is the artwork.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2020, 11:10:12 AM »
after the beanstalk
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2020, 11:35:06 AM »
Typo on Wiesbaden
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2020, 11:47:50 AM »
Heavy Up
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2020, 01:28:48 PM »
romeo (excl. outro, indeed) most of KTGC, Why Worry, Love over gold and Private I. live, shangri la, submariner, seattle, all slow songs with little or no guitar, boring as eff.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OnlineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2020, 02:55:16 PM »
Just a Boy Away From Home. From the first moment I listened to it, I knew it would be a skipper. I probably listened to it only once and never again.

I love that song!  ;D
When it comes to DTRW CD the song I always skip is "Rear View Mirror", and very often "Nobody Does That" (though this song has grown on me a little).
The brass instruments are too much for me. A little saxophone now and then is ok.
I really hope that Mark will not use these instruments too much when he is thinking about a new album.

This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2020, 03:09:30 PM »

I love that song!  ;D
When it comes to DTRW CD the song I always skip is "Rear View Mirror", and very often "Nobody Does That" (though this song has grown on me a little).
The brass instruments are too much for me. A little saxophone now and then is ok.
I really hope that Mark will not use these instruments too much when he is thinking about a new album.

I really disliked "Just a Boy" when I first heard it, especially the end solo, but now I can just about tolerate it without reaching for the skip button.   To be honest, I have never liked "You'll ever Walk Alone" either, not even in the movie!     "Heavy Up" is a different matter - I have given up trying!   ::)

Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineijnijn

• Guitar George
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2020, 07:47:36 PM »
Hi there, maybe it's not this topic but it somehow correlates with it. Does anybody of you know, has "Hand in Hand" been ever played live during DS, MK or NH shows? Or was it always a "skipper" for Mark? Regards :)

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2020, 09:42:29 PM »
romeo (excl. outro, indeed) most of KTGC, Why Worry, Love over gold and Private I. live, shangri la, submariner, seattle, all slow songs with little or no guitar, boring as eff.

Hey Pottel, we share the love for The Long Highway but I disagree with you on Love Over Gold. It's a beast of a song, criminally underrated in my view.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 37 queries.