Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: ON THE NIGHT 10.05.1993  (Read 6034 times)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
Re: ON THE NIGHT 10.05.1993
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2018, 07:03:30 PM »
I really like the cover. In the album book there is no information that it is Radio Telescope Dishes at Night

Moonlight illuminates the radio telescope dishes of the Very Large Array in New Mexico.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2018, 11:42:04 PM »
On The Night is a very poor souvenir of that tour.

Ticket to Heaven or just about any other soundboard bootleg is a hundred times better.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 12:21:41 AM »
Well, I would say that for all songs prior to OES, I prefer the BIA tour versions (LOG tour for TR). OES tour versions (and OTN even more so since it is over produced) are too polished, too much pensa and pedal steel everywhere to my taste.
With the possible exception of Sultans, for which the sax break is better in the OES tour IMHO (even though I don't like Chris' drumming), and for which the sax-less Alchemy version is a must have as well.
For the OES songs, well, CE is too developped, OES (the song) is nice but too rushed, I don't care much about HF and the Bug...
On the Night has a very nice YAYF though. Also a pretty nice BIA for the OES tour (but I like the Wembley 85 version more, I love the Les Paul, the cheesy synth and the rocking ending !).
Would have loved to have soundboard versions of TOL (unlike most people I love the Pensa sound on this one, by exception), Iron Hand and PONO...
Oh well.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 05:11:28 AM »
I have a bootleg called straight to the point that puts OTN to shame. Yes, too much pedal steel and sax but the band sounds pretty relaxed like they’re having a great time.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 11:34:59 AM »
I have a bootleg called straight to the point that puts OTN to shame. Yes, too much pedal steel and sax but the band sounds pretty relaxed like they’re having a great time.

yes indeed, it's mainly because it's on the very beginning of the tour (end of august 91) so Mark and the band were still "fresh" and not yet bored like in spring 92
on all tours it's the same dilemme : the start of the tour sounds fresh and relaxed, and the middle and end sounds autopilot but with more developped arrangements, and often better than on the beginning

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 12:01:30 PM »

yes indeed, it's mainly because it's on the very beginning of the tour (end of august 91) so Mark and the band were still "fresh" and not yet bored like in spring 92
on all tours it's the same dilemme : the start of the tour sounds fresh and relaxed, and the middle and end sounds autopilot but with more developped arrangements, and often better than on the beginning

Yes, quite a few mistakes on those earlier shows, probably due to the large number of new songs they played on that tour.  No soundboards until June '92 tells you something about that.

I think they recorded OTN at the right time because they still sounded energetic in May '92, and yet had managed to find the best arrangements and iron out those greenies too.  I think the versions are good but it just sounds 'over engineered'.  Maybe a remix could work wonders?
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2018, 12:30:31 PM »
Well, I would say that for all songs prior to OES, I prefer the BIA tour versions (LOG tour for TR). OES tour versions (and OTN even more so since it is over produced) are too polished, too much pensa and pedal steel everywhere to my taste.
With the possible exception of Sultans, for which the sax break is better in the OES tour IMHO (even though I don't like Chris' drumming), and for which the sax-less Alchemy version is a must have as well.
For the OES songs, well, CE is too developped, OES (the song) is nice but too rushed, I don't care much about HF and the Bug...
On the Night has a very nice YAYF though. Also a pretty nice BIA for the OES tour (but I like the Wembley 85 version more, I love the Les Paul, the cheesy synth and the rocking ending !).
Would have loved to have soundboard versions of TOL (unlike most people I love the Pensa sound on this one, by exception), Iron Hand and PONO...
Oh well.

I also think You and Your Friend from OTN is pretty awesome....love the Pedabro sound and love the interaction between Paul and MK building as the song progresses...much better IMHO than the album version.  This song (if brought out of retirement) could work well in todays setlist.  But they CANT replace Paul Franklins part with a Sax as they did OES most recently.  The sax part at the end of On Every Street doesn't do anything for the song and in some of the USB's from the last concert, the sax actually made me dislike (and even skip) On Every Street - its just too......"sax-y"....
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2018, 04:16:33 PM »
Oh well.

I also think You and Your Friend from OTN is pretty awesome....love the Pedabro sound and love the interaction between Paul and MK building as the song progresses...much better IMHO than the album version.  This song (if brought out of retirement) could work well in todays setlist.  But they CANT replace Paul Franklins part with a Sax as they did OES most recently.  The sax part at the end of On Every Street doesn't do anything for the song and in some of the USB's from the last concert, the sax actually made me dislike (and even skip) On Every Street - its just too......"sax-y"....
fully agree.
still, my favourite moment, was between BIA and Solid rock when that girl is singled out in the crowd, in Rotterdam, lovely looking lady.....
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineKris-b

• Camerado
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2018, 06:34:53 PM »
I know what you mean, always wondered, if she ever watched that!

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2018, 07:26:17 PM »
The girl with tears in her eyes at the end of Brothers In Arms is beautiful too:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2018, 05:56:40 PM »
From that tour I love SOS, end part, from Rotterdam 1991 that can find on youtube.
 MK monstre :P

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 37 queries.