Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (13) Heavy Up  (Read 36470 times)

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
Re: (13) Heavy Up
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2018, 09:05:32 PM »
Must admit I believe that what they aimed for they did in splendid way. i don’t think it’s really bad or anything, just strongly dislike it. Just a matter of personal preference/taste, good to hear there’s something in there for others to fully appreciate.

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2018, 09:22:28 PM »
I find this song awesome! Would be great live with extended horn-solos and cool impros. Its light-hearted and catchy and gets one in a good mood

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2018, 10:45:32 PM »
“Heavy up is one of those peculiar, specialized terms in the world of home renovation and electrical systems. Essentially, it means to increase the amperage coming into your house--at the service panel--so that your electrical system can receive and handle an increased load.”

Does it make sense to you guys?

So when Mark sings "heavy up for me" that makes him a current? 

He's bound to get a real buzz out of playing this one!  Resistance is futile!   :smack :smack

Certainly not triggering a short-circuit lol

My capacitance for awful puns is now at a maximum.  One more before I buzz off: R-ohm-eo and Juliet - he can't resist playing it!

I rest my case  :clap
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2018, 11:22:08 PM »
Strongly disagree. I love this song. Music, mood, vibe at it's best. Great solos, cool rhythm section and very good arrangement. On par with Nobody Does That.
Hope for live version replacing Paraguay.

LE
+1

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
Re: (13) Heavy Up ##* Spoiler Lyrics *##
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2018, 04:38:46 PM »
I wonder if the unmentioned songwriter (who MK states he knows) who said those lines might be Mr Bob. Sounds like something that he would crow out.

"I'll lighten up for you if you heavy up for me".

MK's usually keen on name dropping if someone was the inspiration for a song. But now he's secretive.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Roger Waters!!!

I think the general feel/vibe of this song reminds me of the calypso version of So Far Away.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineShai

• Camerado
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2018, 02:40:19 AM »
I simply love the line "I’m afraid, alas, the turd
Who thinks he’s an ice cream
".

Now when I encounter a**holes during the day, I simply sing this line and I am "floating away"!

Shai

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2018, 05:57:15 AM »
".

Now when I encounter a**holes during the day, I simply sing this line and I am "floating away"!

Shai

Can AMIT generate some kind of 'like' button to display ones' pleasure at remarks like this? Rather than having to quote and agree :)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2018, 07:15:28 AM »
".

Shai

Can AMIT generate some kind of 'like' button to display ones' pleasure at remarks like this? Rather than having to quote and agree :)

There's a "thumbs up" emo!     ;)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 07:30:04 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2018, 08:26:34 AM »
".

Shai

I agree.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2018, 08:51:10 AM »
".

Shai

I agree.

Having a "like" button would make it more like Facebook and that is one of the many reasons why I'm not a member there!    "Like" buttons would suppress conversation and also opinions, because if there is a "like" button there would also have to be a "dislike" button, which could deter people from posting in case of getting the thumbs down.    Therefore I disagree and hope it never happens on AMIT!

What's so difficult in just pressing the "thumbs up" emo anyway?  ???
Goin' into Tow Law....

hunter

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2018, 09:46:49 AM »
There doesn't have to be a Dislike button (there isn't one on FB), but personally I'm perfectly happy without a Like button. Let's talk instead!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2018, 09:53:15 AM »
There doesn't have to be a Dislike button (there isn't one on FB), but personally I'm perfectly happy without a Like button. Let's talk instead!

I agree, the art of conversation is very precious and should be encouraged.   

At the very start of AMIT in 2008, there was a trial run of a "kudos" button.  Members got points for how good their posts were, or not, as I remember.   It was withdrawn after a short trial.
Goin' into Tow Law....

hunter

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2018, 10:54:44 AM »

At the very start of AMIT in 2008, there was a trial run of a "kudos" button.  Members got points for how good their posts were, or not, as I remember.   It was withdrawn after a short trial.

One may of course argue how much "conversation" it is when people quote a post and just write +1 or use the thumbs-up emoticon. Basically that is the equivalent of a Like, but with a larger footprint (and longer threads to scroll through).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 11:06:05 AM by hunter »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2018, 10:57:43 AM »
Yes, that's another way of looking at it!    :)   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2018, 11:22:09 AM »

One may of course argue how much "conversation" it is when people quote a post and just write +1 or use the thumbs-up emoticon. Basically that is the equivalent of a Like, but with a larger footprint (and longer threads to scroll through).

Exactly and have often thought myself that a "like" button would be helpful.  I have often refrained from agreeing with someone unless I can perhaps add something productive to my "agree" comment as it is otherwise a pointless comment. 
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 41 queries.