Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guitars used by Mark this tour?  (Read 43100 times)

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Guitars used by Mark this tour?
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2019, 09:54:00 PM »
I'm so happy for Mark using Kemper amps. Modelling amps are ridiculously good these days, even the cheap ones. Let alone the Kemper rack!

I am not, first time for the last 30 years I have not heard a 10/10 sound on distorted sounds, absurd decision imo

" Some have guessed correctly, we are using Kemper profiling amps. Mark’s long-serving guitar tech, Glenn Saggers along with Mark (when he wasn’t in Edinburgh with me preparing the Local Hero musical) has devoted much of his time in the past 6 months to recreating Mark’s unique sounds has done an amazing job. This switch from ‘real’ amps to digital devices is not for the feint-hearted and it wasn’t without it’s doubters. Now we are up and running and more than two weeks into the tour, we are all on board with them. They certainly allow for incredible separation in both in-ear monitors and front of house system. The sounds are amazingly responsive and malleable."

http://guyfletcher.co.uk/13th-may-2019-cologne/

If you don't like the distorted sounds - maybe it's the quality of the videos on YT or (if you've already attended a concert) the mixing or sound quality in general?
Normally the Kemper amps are able to create really astonishing 1:1 images of the "real deal". Maybe they didn't get the modelling right? Maybe the new sound is different and just not your taste?

I've been testing modelling amps and software for a long time now and I'm quite impressed by the improvements in sound quality.
The reason I always came back to tube amps wasn't the sound quality anyway, but the feeling while playing - a hardly noticeable latency and a weird feeling to be not really "connected" to the amp, for want of other words.

But the audience - especially in a environment that is not ideal - will hardly notice any difference, even experienced guitar players.
But that's just my opinion.

I think if you don't like the sound it's because it is different - and not inferior.
For example I never really liked the "new" sound MK got from his signature strat and the amps he used from 2005 on.
Too scratchy and raw for me - I prefer the Schecter Strat and the other amps. But the Komet amps or the likes are of course great amps.

Tomorrow I'll be going to the Berlin concert and I will listen very carefully - althogh the last tours the sound qulity in this venue was always so bad that I honestly wouldn't have noticed if he'd played via a decent amp or a crappy one...

I have been following MK in every tour since 1992, few days ago in Milan I immediately understood there was something wrong on the distorted ones, that is not 10/10 for the first time ever. The sound was ok and very enjoyable but not 10/10 as usual. As you said they made great improvements, but the sound is not perfect as the real thing.

A Kemper is great for anyone who wants to have lots of great amps at 95% their real sound quality at only 2500 euros.
MK needs that ? 101% no

I understand that, there's always a small group of people out there who can spot the difference, but for 95% of people I'm pretty sure everybody would fail blind test audition. I surely would. Like you've said, it's good for the most part. I would fail hearing the difference between Mark's "real" Les Paul and his new Les Paul, as well as his vintage Stratocaster vs. his signature one. I'm too far from all this debate, but I'm happy that Mark keeps changing stuff. New National, new Les Paul, new Strat, new Pensa, new amps, new everything. Except setlist ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offlineneco

• Camerado
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2019, 10:02:22 PM »
I'm so happy for Mark using Kemper amps. Modelling amps are ridiculously good these days, even the cheap ones. Let alone the Kemper rack!

I am not, first time for the last 30 years I have not heard a 10/10 sound on distorted sounds, absurd decision imo

" Some have guessed correctly, we are using Kemper profiling amps. Mark’s long-serving guitar tech, Glenn Saggers along with Mark (when he wasn’t in Edinburgh with me preparing the Local Hero musical) has devoted much of his time in the past 6 months to recreating Mark’s unique sounds has done an amazing job. This switch from ‘real’ amps to digital devices is not for the feint-hearted and it wasn’t without it’s doubters. Now we are up and running and more than two weeks into the tour, we are all on board with them. They certainly allow for incredible separation in both in-ear monitors and front of house system. The sounds are amazingly responsive and malleable."

http://guyfletcher.co.uk/13th-may-2019-cologne/

If you don't like the distorted sounds - maybe it's the quality of the videos on YT or (if you've already attended a concert) the mixing or sound quality in general?
Normally the Kemper amps are able to create really astonishing 1:1 images of the "real deal". Maybe they didn't get the modelling right? Maybe the new sound is different and just not your taste?

I've been testing modelling amps and software for a long time now and I'm quite impressed by the improvements in sound quality.
The reason I always came back to tube amps wasn't the sound quality anyway, but the feeling while playing - a hardly noticeable latency and a weird feeling to be not really "connected" to the amp, for want of other words.

But the audience - especially in a environment that is not ideal - will hardly notice any difference, even experienced guitar players.
But that's just my opinion.

I think if you don't like the sound it's because it is different - and not inferior.
For example I never really liked the "new" sound MK got from his signature strat and the amps he used from 2005 on.
Too scratchy and raw for me - I prefer the Schecter Strat and the other amps. But the Komet amps or the likes are of course great amps.

Tomorrow I'll be going to the Berlin concert and I will listen very carefully - althogh the last tours the sound qulity in this venue was always so bad that I honestly wouldn't have noticed if he'd played via a decent amp or a crappy one...

I have been following MK in every tour since 1992, few days ago in Milan I immediately understood there was something wrong on the distorted ones, that is not 10/10 for the first time ever. The sound was ok and very enjoyable but not 10/10 as usual. As you said they made great improvements, but the sound is not perfect as the real thing.

A Kemper is great for anyone who wants to have lots of great amps at 95% their real sound quality at only 2500 euros.
MK needs that ? 101% no

When I heard that he doesn't use "real" amps anymore on stage I was a little bit worried and had the same thoughts as you do. But after hearing it live I must say it sounds amazing (however I would still prefer the real deal  :P ). I think you can also hear which amp they profiled. For instance, WAM with driven Les Paul sounds very komet-like to me  ;)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2019, 11:22:43 PM »
ya, I noticed a komet style too
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2019, 10:44:08 AM »
I also think that it is good at this stage in his career he is still trying new things, and doing it for his last big tour. Good on you son.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2019, 01:08:56 PM »
So Mark asked Marcus Cliffe about the Kemper since he had one, then Marcus told MK not to use it cause real amps are better (obviously I add) but MK went ahead anyway !! incredible

A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

hunter

« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2019, 01:22:22 PM »
I always found it interesting that Mark never got a Dumble amp. Maybe the tone is too smooth for him. Or, who knows, maybe has one, but never uses it?

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2019, 02:12:24 PM »
I think I should throw my smartphone out and buy this old analogue rotary dial phone. Man, I love this sound, and I love how when you want to dial in a number you need to wait for the rotor to return, making this satisfying sound. Nothing beats old technology, rotary phones is the real deal :lol

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2019, 02:17:28 PM »
I think I should throw my smartphone out and buy this old analogue rotary dial phone. Man, I love this sound, and I love how when you want to dial in a number you need to wait for the rotor to return, making this satisfying sound. Nothing beats old technology, rotary phones is the real deal :lol

you are probably the only one in the world who thinks a kemper simulation is better than the real thing
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 02:44:18 PM by PensaGhost »

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2019, 08:25:09 AM »
Les Paul observations from RAH:

WAM is a 59 reissue. He has used this on "capo" songs for years, WAM and SFSL. You can tell close up that it looks like new.

58 burst on quite a few things, OUATITW, YLT and others.

MK Les Paul reissue for the encores. Confused me at first as it looks vintage but clearly not the 58. When he turns you can see it doesn't have the gold sticker on the back of the headstock... But it is signed! I found it amusing that he signed his own guitar...

When he held it up at the end you could also see the metal cover behind the switchtip.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2019, 08:25:40 AM »
Also, two different MK strats.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2019, 12:11:12 PM »
Les Paul observations from RAH:

WAM is a 59 reissue. He has used this on "capo" songs for years, WAM and SFSL. You can tell close up that it looks like new.

58 burst on quite a few things, OUATITW, YLT and others.

MK Les Paul reissue for the encores. Confused me at first as it looks vintage but clearly not the 58. When he turns you can see it doesn't have the gold sticker on the back of the headstock... But it is signed! I found it amusing that he signed his own guitar...

When he held it up at the end you could also see the metal cover behind the switchtip.

Thanks for clearing this up Dusty.   :thumbsup
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2019, 12:32:45 PM »

Maybe Glenn's again as per previous tours??
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinediremark86

• Camerado
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2019, 03:24:21 PM »

Possible, also possible its 00000 and 00001 that were both last known to still be in his possession.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2019, 03:39:15 PM »

Possible, also possible its 00000 and 00001 that were both last known to still be in his possession.

Yes indeed....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2019, 04:31:22 PM »
The strat without a capo seemed to have a white pickguard. Difficult to be sure with concert lighting. But the one with the capo seemed to have the correct mint green pickguard. Also looked like a bit of figuring in the wood on the headstock.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 41 queries.