Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #28 DTRW TOUR - June 11 2019 - Ericsson Globe, Stockholm, Sweden #SPOILER#  (Read 14947 times)

hunter

The only observation I wold make is that the energy from mks music is only part of the equation. Essentially mark is a storyteller and always has been. In in the 'good old days' he did this in a truly unique way with the interplay between voice and guitar. Now he uses a broader pallet.  We all loved the energy, but I was always drawn to the deeper meaning of the songs, the characters and the stories they had to tell....

I would say these days he's a better storywriter than storyteller, if you know what I mean. Before he at least interjected some passion into his vocals.

Life as a musical near 70 year old isn't so much about passion so much as it is about observation. The roots of all marks best songs are his  journalistic observations on people and their struggles, the kind of tales that break your heart. For me that's what its always been about. From the guy walking in the wild west end, through an iffy jazz band, via an appliance store in New York, right through to Speedway, Basil Clyde, Bacon roll off the new album, what makes his song writing so unique seems obvious to me. So from my point of view the perceived absence of stage energy, histrionics, or the lack of a little bit of guitar finesse makes no difference. The stories are still there and they still break my heart.

Then why bother to pay good money to go to a show? If the performance is not (that) important, then I may just as well listen to the album. Or read the lyrics. He is an artist AND a performer after all.

I think you've misunderstood me hunter  :) Of course the performance is important, but it doesn't necessarily need the energy of youth or prime knopfler guitar playing to put across the elements I stated in my previous post. In fact the gravitas of old age can add to those stories in my opinion. Prime live MK was brilliant, flash, amazing, full of energy, but there is far more depth to what he's doing now.

I obviously didn't mean that he needs to replicate the energy of his young or prime years, it would look silly, really. But other artists at about 70 and above, Dylan and Ry Cooder come to mind, still have a certain presence and intensity that I feel Mark doesn't have. And, again, that's why I think the large arenas are so wrong for Mark now. Especially without big screens. I guess we can discuss this forever. At any rate, it's good that Mark is still "out there", but I think things could have been improved.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
I saw Dylan when he toured with MK in 2011 in Manchester.    After Mark's part of the show was over and Dylan was on to around his fourth song, lots of the audience started getting up and walking out!  It was almost impossible to know what song he was singing!  I have never seen that happening to MK yet and I hope I never will.   I would like to see him do another tour, but I would hate to see him end up like Dylan, so I hope he does something in more intimate venues in the future with songs that suit him at this stage in his life.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
The only observation I wold make is that the energy from mks music is only part of the equation. Essentially mark is a storyteller and always has been. In in the 'good old days' he did this in a truly unique way with the interplay between voice and guitar. Now he uses a broader pallet.  We all loved the energy, but I was always drawn to the deeper meaning of the songs, the characters and the stories they had to tell....

I would say these days he's a better storywriter than storyteller, if you know what I mean. Before he at least interjected some passion into his vocals.

Life as a musical near 70 year old isn't so much about passion so much as it is about observation. The roots of all marks best songs are his  journalistic observations on people and their struggles, the kind of tales that break your heart. For me that's what its always been about. From the guy walking in the wild west end, through an iffy jazz band, via an appliance store in New York, right through to Speedway, Basil Clyde, Bacon roll off the new album, what makes his song writing so unique seems obvious to me. So from my point of view the perceived absence of stage energy, histrionics, or the lack of a little bit of guitar finesse makes no difference. The stories are still there and they still break my heart.

Then why bother to pay good money to go to a show? If the performance is not (that) important, then I may just as well listen to the album. Or read the lyrics. He is an artist AND a performer after all.

I think you've misunderstood me hunter  :) Of course the performance is important, but it doesn't necessarily need the energy of youth or prime knopfler guitar playing to put across the elements I stated in my previous post. In fact the gravitas of old age can add to those stories in my opinion. Prime live MK was brilliant, flash, amazing, full of energy, but there is far more depth to what he's doing now.

I obviously didn't mean that he needs to replicate the energy of his young or prime years, it would look silly, really. But other artists at about 70 and above, Dylan and Ry Cooder come to mind, still have a certain presence and intensity that I feel Mark doesn't have. And, again, that's why I think the large arenas are so wrong for Mark now. Especially without big screens. I guess we can discuss this forever. At any rate, it's good that Mark is still "out there", but I think things could have been improved.

I suppose its just what you like really. What I saw from the 2 shows in London was definitely the 'best' mark I've ever seen and I truly wish I could get to more shows.

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
My full concert video is up  :thumbsup

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineSolid Rock

• Camerado
  • Get lucky, down the road wherver.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 39 queries.