Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: A ‘new’ set on CD and vinyl of all the DS studio albums  (Read 13819 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: A ‘new’ set on CD and vinyl of all the DS studio albums
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2020, 11:02:46 PM »
I have a question. How come the video footage of the Basel concert isn’t up on youtube? How??

Simple... It was blocked. We had this bootleg on our channel Mark Knopfler Russia, but it got blocked permanently. Nimes, however, is not blocked :lol A lot of videos get blocked, that's the reality of it. And it's actually not a bad thing, as long as the team working on it do a great job. Team working with Mark makes sure to clean up all the internet of all the unofficial uploads and replace it with uploads on Mark's official youtube channel. But since Basel is technically a bootleg, not an official release, it just got blocked.

There is something more... It got blocked because apparently "Eagle rock" has the rights of DS BAsel 92.... Eagle Rock has released a lot of dvds of many artists like The Rolling Stones, Toto, Eric Clapton and many many more ( https://www.eagle-rock.com/artists ). The strange thing is that DS is not in their artists list. but when Unlimited tried to upload the "IA" version of Basel 92 to youtube it got blocked saying Eagle Rock had the rights of it.

Eagle Rock Entertainment is the world-leading producer and distributor of music documentary and concert films. Founded in 1997, our multi-award-winning company creates over 50 productions a year and distributes over 2,000 hours of music programming. [...] Eagle is a Universal Music Group company, and is headquartered in London.

I encourage someone to rewatch the show, maybe it has a part of a song that was really owned by "Eagle rock"? I remember on one of the bootlegs in the intro there was a song which was not DS, kind of like the Alchemy with The Drifters. So "Eagle rock" could block the video because of that. If somewhere, even for a one second, there's a Blocker's Song, the video will be blocked.

I remember there is Eric Idle's "look on the bright side of life" at the end of the concert, maybe that's the reason ?  :think

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2020, 11:24:34 PM »
I've just checked the price of the vinyl box on Amazon and they're asking £400 pre order!

I think I'll stick with what I've got.

Very disappointing....

That's not the release price of the vinyl box. That's the price of a box of the first release, that happened two or three (maybe more) years ago and got out of print, hence that price.

The new release, which is a reissue of that box would be around 100 pounds.

Thanks Jbaent, I realised that shortly afterwards.

Still seems a lot of cash for 6 albums that I already own in multiple formats including vinyl!

I went on discogs and priced up the albums individually in mint condition and you could buy all 6 on 180gsm vinyl for about £70.

These are 180 gr vinyls, remastered from the masters. BIA and OES come as double vinyl set, so what you did on discogs doesn't apply as comparation.

Sorry but you're incorrect.

These are the remasters.

All 6 remastered albums are available through discogs on 180 gram vinyl including the double versions of BIA and OES in mint condition for £73 including p&p.

You seem to have missed my point, given that many of us have these already if you're after just one or 2 of the albums on high quality vinyl then this is a far better way to get them rather than shelling out for something many of us already own multiple times.

If there was anything rare, new, or unreleased in the box then it would be a completely different discussion and well worth having. In fact I've bought all of Marks solo box sets as there worth it from a collector's point of view. This 'new' box set, it's just a money making exercise....

Sorry, you are right.

Actually the only thing they do is to pack all of them in a nice box, but without any other content. It is just something for collectors really, or to people who doesn't have any of the vinyls and here they have their chance.

I rather have an extra vinyl with aditional material, but... that's "what it is"  ;D

Yep 😀

The couple of mk albums I would pay good money for are stp (never released), gh (never released) and Shangri la (currently changing hands for £300-400!). Put them in a box set and I'd bite someone's arm off for them 😀!

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2020, 02:06:55 PM »
They are out now

I am surprised that for this box they didn't delete 1-2 songs for each album

A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2020, 03:04:16 PM »
Are the CDs the 1996 remaster or a newer version? Any better?
I’ve all the cds already though often just listen via Spotify these days, but for £20 if they have all been updated I guess I would contribute to Mark’s pension.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2020, 05:19:43 PM »
Same than 1996.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2020, 01:25:53 AM »
CD and vinyl for 2020, nice. Music industry is nuts! Give me a downloadable hi-res audio, give me a cool usb-c drive to listen to the music. CD... Pathetic. They moan that nobody buys records anymore, but can’t even offer an alternative.

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2020, 11:26:38 AM »
Selling or more properly, selling off the entire discography, live apart, for a few pennies does not honor to one of the greatest rock bands in the world.
I don't think anything like this is made for bands like Pink Floyd or even Duran Duran.
They could study something better, they had to do something better....
dIRE sTRAITS objectively deserved a better ending.
Sad.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2020, 06:24:38 PM »
Selling or more properly, selling off the entire discography, live apart, for a few pennies does not honor to one of the greatest rock bands in the world.
I don't think anything like this is made for bands like Pink Floyd or even Duran Duran.
They could study something better, they had to do something better....
dIRE sTRAITS objectively deserved a better ending.
Sad.

I agree, especially when you consider that DS live stuff is stunning, often better than studio versions and with so many different live versions, lots of stuff could be released

instead you don't even get a full live concert, tragic really
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2020, 12:04:08 PM »

Yep 😀

The couple of mk albums I would pay good money for are stp (never released), gh (never released) and Shangri la (currently changing hands for £300-400!). Put them in a box set and I'd bite someone's arm off for them 😀!

I think a re-pressed ExtendanceEP (inc. Badges) would make a fantastic Record Store Day release one day.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2020, 01:01:08 PM »
Or Comfort And Joy:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2020, 02:49:01 PM »
I just received my box today and I'm a little bit disappointed because for any unknown reason, it comes without the bonus track cd!!!!!!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2020, 11:19:20 AM »
I just received my box today and I'm a little bit disappointed because for any unknown reason, it comes without the bonus track cd!!!!!!

:lol :lol :lol

I received mine this morning
wonder why all CD are black (different from 96 remasters) and only BIA has the national guitar colors
they could have done each CD fiting with the album cover

Offlinelfblaauw

• Camerado
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2020, 12:09:02 PM »
For some unknown reason they used the wrong font for the OES-cover. The right font is OCR-B. See the difference:

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2020, 12:28:06 PM »
That's a pretty drastic font difference, very strange indeed. Well, at least they did Love Over Gold right, right?

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2020, 12:33:34 PM »
That's a pretty drastic font difference, very strange indeed. Well, at least they did Love Over Gold right, right?

Well, it kind of worked, I didn't noticed, and I guess that many others won't, like me...

Good observation Lars!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 37 queries.