Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Going Home again  (Read 15721 times)

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
Re: Going Home again
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2020, 04:29:15 PM »
Instead of criticize him we should be thankful that he is doing well and appreciate his decision going out and play live in a time we are all threatened by this crazy virus.
Especially older people are at higher risk and Mark is 71.
If there is a mistake in his playing or not, I don`t care but be happy to hear him play.
Nobody is perfect and even Mark Knopfler is no exception.

:thumbsup  I totally agree.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2020, 06:45:46 PM »
Instead of criticize him we should be thankful that he is doing well and appreciate his decision going out and play live in a time we are all threatened by this crazy virus.
If there is a mistake in his playing or not, I don`t care but be happy to hear him play.

This is a good point.  What was the point of him travelling there to play at all?  He could easily have done another one-take studio thing like he did for the GNR. In these sad times live music is pretty pointless anyway.

It wasn't just the mistake but his whole playing sounded pretty rough to me.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2020, 06:47:56 PM »
"I think when you hear playing like that you don't really listen critically so much as appreciatively. You're not listening for mistakes or anything like that. I think it's more in admiration of the total picture, the grasp of the total picture and the way that the artist is just appreciating the piece. Try to send it down the road the best way you know how, off to school in decent shoes"

So you admit it isn't a good performance then?
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2020, 07:04:13 PM »

This is a good point.  What was the point of him travelling there to play at all?  He could easily have done another one-take studio thing like he did for the GNR. In these sad times live music is pretty pointless anyway.

It wasn't just the mistake but his whole playing sounded pretty rough to me.

Good question. I think it was a personal thing, Mark loved Stirling Moss so couldn’t resist going. And he would be there in any form, hence a bit random playing. The horrifying part is that this guy couldn’t resist go on another tour as well and might actually do it!

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2020, 07:41:59 PM »
It is up to any individual to decide if he/she wants to witness Mark playing live.

If Mark plans some UK gigs I will consider going even if at home I can't listen to the last tour recordings.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2020, 08:06:14 PM »
Sometimes the level of criticism  on here amuses me.

Dont get me wrong, I get it. We are all here because we love the guy and want him to be at his best, but come on!

I'm a music teacher, it's my job to appraise performance and offer constructive criticism. This performance was fine! A quarter note greenie lasting less than half a second and the world ends!

This performance was not about mk, it was about paying tribute to a true British great, and it was executed in an appropriate fashion with all the emotion and touch I would expect.

Mark played bum notes, and really bad ones at that in the good old days to!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2020, 08:19:44 PM »
Sometimes the level of criticism  on here amuses me.

Dont get me wrong, I get it. We are all here because we love the guy and want him to be at his best, but come on!

I'm a music teacher, it's my job to appraise performance and offer constructive criticism. This performance was fine! A quarter note greenie lasting less than half a second and the world ends!

This performance was not about mk, it was about paying tribute to a true British great, and it was executed in an appropriate fashion with all the emotion and touch I would expect.

Mark played bum notes, and really bad ones at that in the good old days to!

You're right, I know that feeling. Nobody's just blindly criticising here, Mark has more talent and knowledge in his little finger, than I had in my entire life, so that's not my job to judge his work. We're just collectively worrying for his health and playing ability, which obviously diminish day by day, can't do anything about it, just watch and wait... And hope he'd get better, and he does it! I hope for some intimate shows in the future, but not the usual stadium tour.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2020, 08:47:07 PM »
To add to my comments, both a lovely but sad performance

I think the touch is still excellent/great

The kemper is an incomprehensible choice for a god like him, but that's still not the problem

What worries me is that major error in a very slow song while watching his own hands playing,
I mean he was concentrating but still couldnt deliver in a slow song

I couldn't care less about the errors from my point of view, it's correct as someone said that he made errors also 30-35 years ago, and I would still go to a concert even if he made errors in all songs of the concerts, I would still like the concert,
but at the same time I would be worried about him not being able to deliver

in 2019 Telegraph Road had a great first version live (Barcelona), then each one subsesquently was worse and worse and worse, full of any kind of errors, he decided to drop it because of that after few days, I am sure he understood he couldn't deliver, I hope the situation doesn't get worse even more, I don't know
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 08:51:06 PM by PensaGhost »
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2020, 09:06:03 PM »
To add to my comments, both a lovely but sad performance

I think the touch is still excellent/great

The kemper is an incomprehensible choice for a god like him, but that's still not the problem

What worries me is that major error in a very slow song while watching his own hands playing,
I mean he was concentrating but still couldnt deliver in a slow song

I couldn't care less about the errors from my point of view, it's correct as someone said that he made errors also 30-35 years ago, and I would still go to a concert even if he made errors in all songs of the concerts, I would still like the concert,
but at the same time I would be worried about him not being able to deliver

in 2019 Telegraph Road had a great first version live (Barcelona), then each one subsesquently was worse and worse and worse, full of any kind of errors, he decided to drop it because of that after few days, I am sure he understood he couldn't deliver, I hope the situation doesn't get worse even more, I don't know

Have you considered that he may just have cold hands on this performance? (I think someone mentioned that earlier).

It's not the warmest Autumn over here right now and he looked pretty well wrapped up against the cold.

Either way, he's getting older. It happens to all of us unfortunately, but he's well and truly earnt the right to play what he wants, where he wants, and how he wants. It was never about making the fans happy, its about human musical creativity, we were, and still are just privileged to be along for the ride.

Yes, at times it is like watching a faded boxer slugging out the last few shots before the inevitable demise, but that to is a part of the journey.

It always will be a pleasure and honour to walk on that journey with our hero....

hunter

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2020, 09:19:06 PM »
Major error?! Really? I've heard far worse by Mark, this one being hardly noticeable. This is also a soundboard recording, which makes everything very easy to spot. Through the PA and being in crowd, it would sound a lot different.

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2020, 09:35:25 PM »
there, there, there, not a note you expected to hear, why don't you write your own song?
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2020, 10:08:28 PM »
there, there, there, not a note you expected to hear, why don't you write your own song?

Hey, that's a discussion going personal. As I said, we're all here won't be qualified to even become Mark's shoe soles, let us discuss his mistakes for a bit :lol

What brand of shoes Marks wear, anyway? Looks so cool.

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2020, 10:32:08 PM »

Hey, that's a discussion going personal. As I said, we're all here won't be qualified to even become Mark's shoe soles, let us discuss his mistakes for a bit :lol

What brand of shoes Marks wear, anyway? Looks so cool.
obviously, quality shoe
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

OfflineMudrian

• Guitar George
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2020, 12:16:23 AM »

It was not perfect , and it' ll never be anymore , I think... but I'll enjoy every new material because this guy has so much talent ....and has inspired me for more than 35 years .His songs have been the "soundtract" of my life...

My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

OfflineK-alberto

• Camerado
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2020, 12:29:37 AM »
I have to say... I love the song, I love this version, I like the atmosphere, I love the hat, I love the sound, I love to see him in such a good shape, I love to see Guy too... Didn't notice any mistake, I don't listen to music for that, I listen to the feeling, and Mark Knopfler is definitely masterclass for that!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 40 queries.