Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Going Home again  (Read 15747 times)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
Re: Going Home again
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2020, 03:38:50 PM »
Have you considered that he may just have cold hands on this performance? (I think someone mentioned that earlier).

no, he is not an amateur playing with cold hands

Sorry Pensaghost but even professional musicians are not immune form the cold  ;)

as if during cold live concerts you saw errors every 3 minutes from all musicians, but please

Fair enough, you don't get it. Cold does effect your playing though. you end up playing purely from muscle memory, that's ok for those who use a pick, but for fingerstyle its a nightmare.

we agree to not agree

post links of concerts full of errors because of cold if you can
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 03:47:44 PM by PensaGhost »
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinediremark86

• Camerado
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2020, 03:40:33 PM »
I have always said the true measure of a musicians talent is not how often they make a mistake, but how elegantly they recover. Mark is an absolute master at that.

As for the kemper amp, I have been really bummed about this decision since day one. It sure seems to go against everything Mark has stood for in the past. He has always gone the extra mile to have a genuine and authentic sound. Its a fine practice amp for those with limited spaces, but the sound is no where close to being in the same realm to a discerning ear imo. Its just plain lazy. I can't even listen to the audio recordings from this last tour..... 

hunter

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2020, 03:53:31 PM »
The only thing I would say as a generalisation about many performances of local hero/GH/WT in say the last 10 years is that Mark seems a little bored with it.

Again this could be misinterpretation, but speaking as a musician if you compare say the OTN version to more recent performances he does seem to rush to the coda. In the good old days there was more anticipation in the run up to the main theme, it was played slower, with more dynamics, and often mark was happy to improvise around those lovely final 4 chords (D G#dim,BM Bdim) , making everyone wait before those beautiful familiar notes of the main theme.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Opinions?   

Agree on all points.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2020, 04:00:25 PM »
The only thing I would say as a generalisation about many performances of local hero/GH/WT in say the last 10 years is that Mark seems a little bored with it.

Again this could be misinterpretation, but speaking as a musician if you compare say the OTN version to more recent performances he does seem to rush to the coda. In the good old days there was more anticipation in the run up to the main theme, it was played slower, with more dynamics, and often mark was happy to improvise around those lovely final 4 chords (D G#dim,BM Bdim) , making everyone wait before those beautiful familiar notes of the main theme.

Opinions?   

Agree on all points.

yes, it's happening in many songs, simplified versions
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2020, 04:05:26 PM »

Opinions?   

Agree on all points.

I feel the same actually, and a Les Paul guitar change also not of great help here. To be honest, I just listened to the Stirling Moss performance just because I don't think that this version would bring many emotions in me, so I haven't even listened to it. I don't know why they bothered to film it at all, especially after Mark just have recorded the North Run version of the same exact song. What Mark is going to record Local Hero theme every week now? As a live piece that works no doubt about it. But it should've stayed the live performance. I barely noticed a mistake by the way, so I can say there's too much attention for that for sure.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2020, 04:34:50 PM »
Have you considered that he may just have cold hands on this performance? (I think someone mentioned that earlier).

Sorry Pensaghost but even professional musicians are not immune form the cold  ;)

MK warming his hands.    ;)

Goin' into Tow Law....

Online2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2020, 07:58:24 PM »

as if during cold live concerts you saw errors every 3 minutes from all musicians, but please

Fair enough, you don't get it. Cold does effect your playing though. you end up playing purely from muscle memory, that's ok for those who use a pick, but for fingerstyle its a nightmare.

we agree to not agree

I could actually point you in numerous directions on that one but it's a silly argument and I'll leave it at that.

You've obviously never played in the UK in October  :)

Online2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2020, 08:02:07 PM »

Opinions?   

Agree on all points.

I feel the same actually, and a Les Paul guitar change also not of great help here. To be honest, I just listened to the Stirling Moss performance just because I don't think that this version would bring many emotions in me, so I haven't even listened to it. I don't know why they bothered to film it at all, especially after Mark just have recorded the North Run version of the same exact song. What Mark is going to record Local Hero theme every week now? As a live piece that works no doubt about it. But it should've stayed the live performance. I barely noticed a mistake by the way, so I can say there's too much attention for that for sure.

Maybe he's getting ready for the local hero tour. A 4 hour retrospective featuring 37 different renditions of exactly the same song. Shortened to 30 minutes by the end of the tour  :) ;)

Online2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2020, 08:03:12 PM »

MK warming his hands.    ;)

Thanks Superval, I rest my case  ;D

Online2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2020, 08:08:08 PM »

we agree to not agree

I could actually point you in numerous directions on that one but it's a silly argument and I'll leave it at that.

You've obviously never played in the UK in October  :)

And as a final addition, have a read of the salt lake city diary from last year and tell me that professional musicians are not effected by the cold!  :smack

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2020, 08:44:23 PM »
I have to agree with you cold drafters, I remember it got so cold i couldn't sort the laces on my shoes
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2020, 08:47:01 PM »

And as a final addition, have a read of the salt lake city diary from last year and tell me that professional musicians are not effected by the cold!  :smack

heat is better than cold for playing, the sky is blue and the grass is green, congratulations

Online2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2020, 08:52:09 PM »

heat is better than cold for playing, the sky is blue and the grass is green, congratulations

Oh come on Pensaghost, have a sense of humour! You've been outmanoeuvred by us coldies  ;)

Online2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2020, 08:53:09 PM »
I have to agree with you cold drafters, I remember it got so cold i couldn't sort the laces on my shoes

I remember it got so cold ice froze up the tank  ;)

hunter

« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2020, 09:35:23 PM »
OK, I think we all agree that Mark isn't as fleet-fingered as he used to be, due to age and who knows if there's some arthritis or other stuff going on. The cold certainly doesn't help. Then there's the fact that he has done it all, several times over, so to expect him to be really excited to perform and pour a ton of emotions into his playing, well, we might have to adjust our expectations. We certainly can't blame him for any of this. I'm guessing, he probably could practice more guitar to keep his chops up, but if he's not really into it, then what's the point. The guitar hero thing is old hat to him anyway.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 42 queries.