Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: "More music coming your way"  (Read 49801 times)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
Re: "More music coming your way"
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2020, 02:55:24 PM »
practical and logistic reasons ? really ? does he carry the amps himself ?

...if only I had taken the Kemper for that tour I would never have injured my back. Strupid me!

ahah very good one
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2020, 03:09:12 PM »
A Kemper on tour makes sense for practical and logistic reasons, and since 98% percent of the audience don't notice the difference, there is good reason to use Kempers. (I heard the difference and didn't like it at all.)

In a multi-million dollar studio, which Mark happens to own, plus his access to a huge selection of vintage and boutique amps, there is no reason why he would use a Kemper there.

Guy Fletcher just wrote MK used the kemper also in the last studio DTRW album, you were wrong also on this one
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 03:12:49 PM by PensaGhost »
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

hunter

« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2020, 03:53:46 PM »
A Kemper on tour makes sense for practical and logistic reasons, and since 98% percent of the audience don't notice the difference, there is good reason to use Kempers. (I heard the difference and didn't like it at all.)

In a multi-million dollar studio, which Mark happens to own, plus his access to a huge selection of vintage and boutique amps, there is no reason why he would use a Kemper there.

Guy Fletcher just wrote MK used the kemper also in the last studio DTRW album, you were wrong also on this one

I can live with being wrong, Rocco. No problem.

I'm surprised to hear it, but I've never thought when listening to DTRW that "this sounds like a modeller", so they fooled me. However, now I need to listen to the album again and try figure out on which tracks they used a Kemper. One possible candidate is Good On You Son. I always felt the guitar on that track felt too processed, but that can just as well be due to the studio effects.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2020, 03:58:27 PM »
Guy confirmed that they are recording a new album, right now setting up things in the studio.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2020, 04:04:11 PM »
I am very happy :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #125 on: November 28, 2020, 05:34:20 PM »
Guy confirmed that they are recording a new album, right now setting up things in the studio.

Get plentiful supplies of tea to BG for a 2025 release date then.  ;D
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2020, 07:00:24 PM »
I am very happy :)

Now this is good news.  :clap
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2020, 07:02:46 PM »
Great news!   I can't wait.     :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2020, 07:15:36 PM »
Clear as the day

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #129 on: November 28, 2020, 07:31:40 PM »
Best news in a long time! :clap
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #130 on: November 28, 2020, 09:29:54 PM »
Best news in a long time! :clap

Exactly :thumbsup

I’m still up in the morning to get behind the plough
Clear as the day

Offlinetobi777

• Local Hero
« Reply #131 on: November 28, 2020, 09:59:03 PM »
2) I think David Gilmour would kill himself rather playing and touring with a kemper, it's just complete nonsense, unless you like crap sounds

Saying that Kempers generally sound like crap is ridiculous, sorry.
This bashing of digital technology is getting tedious. It's like those people who think they need 24/192 downloads and they could hear all the differences.
I bet most of the people - even trained musicians and engineers - couldn't tell the difference between a good Kemper profile and a recorded tube amp, especially on a recording (provided the profiles have been decently created).
Even modelling (not profiling) has become so refined that it is hard to tell from the real deal. You would be astonished on how many recordings this kind of technology has been used now.

If you don't like the sounds MK get with his Kemper, it has something to do with the profiling and personal tastes - but not the capabilities of the Kemper.

Personally I don't like the sound of the Texas Specials in his Signature Strat. When he started using this with "retro" amps, it just sounded to harsh and edgy to my ears.
I'd rather have the smooth sound of the 90's or the bell like sound of DS albums with a lot of compression.
But does that mean that his Komet or Tone King amps sound bad? Of course not.

I don't like the sound David Gilmour created with his Black Strat and his amps on the last tour. I prefer his red Strat with EMG pickups soundwise.
That doesn't mean his equipment is bad - it is just another sound you like or dislike.

I'm sad that his guitar playing has suffered a lot over the last years - comparing 2019 with 2005 live concerts for example makes me cringe - but this nothing to do with the Kemper amps.

BTW:
Just listen to that sound in the video:

It is the great Anto Drennan with a Boss Katana amp which is basically a practice amp. Does that sound bad? I don't think so.

hunter

« Reply #132 on: November 28, 2020, 10:10:05 PM »
Personally I don't like the sound of the Texas Specials in his Signature Strat. When he started using this with "retro" amps, it just sounded to harsh and edgy to my ears.

Couldn't agree more. Such an add choice.

As for Katana tones, check this out. Outstanding playing and - tones!

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #133 on: November 28, 2020, 10:25:06 PM »
2) I think David Gilmour would kill himself rather playing and touring with a kemper, it's just complete nonsense, unless you like crap sounds

Saying that Kempers generally sound like crap is ridiculous, sorry.
This bashing of digital technology is getting tedious. It's like those people who think they need 24/192 downloads and they could hear all the differences.
I bet most of the people - even trained musicians and engineers - couldn't tell the difference between a good Kemper profile and a recorded tube amp, especially on a recording (provided the profiles have been decently created).
Even modelling (not profiling) has become so refined that it is hard to tell from the real deal. You would be astonished on how many recordings this kind of technology has been used now.

If you don't like the sounds MK get with his Kemper, it has something to do with the profiling and personal tastes - but not the capabilities of the Kemper.

I'd rather have the smooth sound of the 90's or the bell like sound of DS albums with a lot of compression.
But does that mean that his Komet or Tone King amps sound bad? Of course not.

I don't like the sound David Gilmour created with his Black Strat and his amps on the last tour. I prefer his red Strat with EMG pickups soundwise.
That doesn't mean his equipment is bad - it is just another sound you like or dislike.

I'm sad that his guitar playing has suffered a lot over the last years - comparing 2019 with 2005 live concerts for example makes me cringe - but this nothing to do with the Kemper amps.

BTW:
Just listen to that sound in the video:

It is the great Anto Drennan with a Boss Katana amp which is basically a practice amp. Does that sound bad? I don't think so.

A lovely input. I think the bashing of new technology is more like a psychological thing. Being a millennial myself, in my life I somehow managed to get through vinyl, cassettes, CDs, mp3 collections and I have to admit, that streaming is far more convenient and enjoyable than all these "legacy" formats. I used so many headphones In my life, but wireless Bluetooth ones I can't live without anymore, it's so convenient and enjoyable. Same goes with modern amps, simulators and whatnot. Psychologically it's really hard to make that leap, because you lose "the ceremony" aspect of the process, but once you grasp all the benefits it becomes second nature to you.

Mind you, Mark played via wireless radio transmitters way back in the 80s or even maybe 70s, I don't think anybody cried about it. Technology is often not so much about sound, but about convenience. Being able to change many amps and effects on the fly is the dream for any musician. And the best thing is that you can always get back to your "real deal" ceremony and get all that you want from it. And most importantly, the technology, that was really bad years ago, finally gets to the point of real usability.

hunter

« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2020, 10:29:33 PM »
Mind you, Mark played via wireless radio transmitters way back in the 80s or even maybe 70s, I don't think anybody cried about it. Technology is often not so much about sound, but about convenience. Being able to change many amps and effects on the fly is the dream for any musician.

As much as I love Alchemy, I have to say that Mark's guitar tone on for instance OUATITW isn't all that good, and I think much of that is due to the wireless transmitters.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 43 queries.