Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: "More music coming your way"  (Read 49775 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: "More music coming your way"
« Reply #225 on: March 15, 2021, 10:43:06 AM »
Mark's penchant for outros is quite ironic given that he's an introvert.
lollllll
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #226 on: March 15, 2021, 01:45:52 PM »
Yeah, not a new thing, as Val says Why Worry, also Money for Nothing, Telegraph Road, Private Investigations, Love Over Gold, It Never Rains etc etc etc
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #227 on: March 16, 2021, 11:01:11 PM »
It's funny how things like Don't Forget Your Hat or Broken Bones can go for over 5 minutes with virtually no action in the outro while Hill Farmer's Blues is shut down in a very moment the action is getting interesting. Apparently "the song is the king"... Never understood this royalty thing.  ;)
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

hunter

« Reply #228 on: March 17, 2021, 08:53:27 AM »
It's funny how things like Don't Forget Your Hat or Broken Bones can go for over 5 minutes with virtually no action in the outro while Hill Farmer's Blues is shut down in a very moment the action is getting interesting. Apparently "the song is the king"... Never understood this royalty thing.  ;)

What a wasted opportunity HFB was. Mark's artistic decisions drive me nuts sometimes. Not that he needs my input for selling records, but still.

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #229 on: March 17, 2021, 09:04:49 AM »
Yon two crows left me with the same feeling, such a wonderful song needed an outro solo in its album version.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #230 on: March 17, 2021, 10:33:51 AM »
Yon two crows left me with the same feeling, such a wonderful song needed an outro solo in its album version.

Yes, many album songs are a joke compared to the live version. I hate that "A Place Where We Used To Live" just cuts into the tasteless fade-out as long as the solo starts out, just every time pisses me off. I get that some of the songs are recorded that way so to do... What? I don't understand. Even the studio version of Telegraph Road just ends with this fade-out. A great ending for such an epic song!

If the intent was so people would gravitate toward live versions of the songs, then this plan worked out great indeed.

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #231 on: March 17, 2021, 10:44:03 AM »
I don't know if any of you had read about this but Clapton had to delay his RAH 2021 concerts until 2022, and he was able to reschedule just TWO concerts from the FOUR he had planned. There were not availability at the RAH!!!

I mentioned earlier, can't remember if in this thread or another, that because of so many live shows delayed from 2020, it's going to be very difficult to book a venue for MK until 2023, as there are many many artists that were delaying their 2020 concerts, and others their 2021, so it's very likely that venues are booked and there is very little spot for other artists to book a venue until all that delayed concerts take place!

We all been talking about maybe MK just playing some dates in the UK, maybe a small residence at the RAH like Clapton does instead of touring Europe and North America, but I can't see that happening until 2023... If he's lucky he would manage to get some dates at a venue with enough capacity for a date or two for 2022, but I don't see MK doing rehearsals for just a concert or two...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 10:51:05 AM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #232 on: March 17, 2021, 06:33:14 PM »
That poses the question of whether or not we think Mark will ever play live shows again?

Looking at the shows from 2015, and considering the degradation from 2013, I was concerned he would not tour again.  This was reinforced when he stopped playing TR during the 2nd half of the tour.  I was wrong and we got another tour in 2019, albeit with a "restricted setlist" and more musicians to take the heat off him.

I really don't think there's any point in another tour.  2019 was good enough in it's own undemanding way, any less and I'd rather he didn't.

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #233 on: March 17, 2021, 06:46:31 PM »
I think he should tour like Gilmour did in the latest tour, few shows and very relaxed (2-3 shows a week)
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #234 on: March 17, 2021, 08:46:12 PM »
I think he should tour like Gilmour did in the latest tour, few shows and very relaxed (2-3 shows a week)
and in beautiful locations (except Oberhausen, which was a mystery to me)
i know mark did Nimes and Taormina and some bull rings, but most were standard event locations. unlike David who really wanted to play nice locations only.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #235 on: March 17, 2021, 09:08:21 PM »
Fully agree with dmg. Why would one want another tour? Of course, the songs will always be great, the band will be pretty good, but... in the end it is all about the level at which MK himself performs (sings and plays guitar). And to be honest, that was already not so good in 2019, to put it in a nice way. Which is fully understandable for someone who had grown pretty old by then. Add a few more years of aging, being even slower in thinking, having even more rust in the fingers, having even less energy, resorting even more in mumbling lyrics instead of singing... I respect MK too much to be willing to see something like that happening. I also think MK himself is very well aware of this, that’s why he stated in 2019 it being his last tour and time to retire. It was years before when you could already see quite some discomfort in his live perfomances.
I’d rather see him spending the time writing songs and recording them at his own pace in his studio. That output remains of an unparalled level. Moreover, those songs are far better suited for an album instead of live concerts in big arenas.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #236 on: March 17, 2021, 09:23:45 PM »
"mumbling lyrics" ?

I have not noticed  :think
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #237 on: March 17, 2021, 09:46:28 PM »
Fully agree with dmg. Why would one want another tour? Of course, the songs will always be great, the band will be pretty good, but... in the end it is all about the level at which MK himself performs (sings and plays guitar). And to be honest, that was already not so good in 2019, to put it in a nice way. Which is fully understandable for someone who had grown pretty old by then. Add a few more years of aging, being even slower in thinking, having even more rust in the fingers, having even less energy, resorting even more in mumbling lyrics instead of singing... I respect MK too much to be willing to see something like that happening. I also think MK himself is very well aware of this, that’s why he stated in 2019 it being his last tour and time to retire. It was years before when you could already see quite some discomfort in his live perfomances.
I’d rather see him spending the time writing songs and recording them at his own pace in his studio. That output remains of an unparalled level. Moreover, those songs are far better suited for an album instead of live concerts in big arenas.

Unfortunately — yes, the quality of Mark's show solely depends on his mood and ability, he could bring the all-star cast with the best musicians in the world (that he pretty much does anyway), but as he's the main star, it all depends on him. And yes, I'm also not a fan of fading voice and shaky hands. My only hope is that he would find his second wind and will find a way to deliver better performance because obviously, the band itself couldn't be any more perfect. I get that people desperately want to hear him live again, but it also has to be done good, right?

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #238 on: March 17, 2021, 09:53:07 PM »
and in beautiful locations (except Oberhausen, which was a mystery to me)
i know mark did Nimes and Taormina and some bull rings, but most were standard event locations. unlike David who really wanted to play nice locations only.

Yeah. Only 2-3 gigs a week in the most beautiful locations. Would be perfect
RAH, Greek Theatre, Red Rocks, RCMH, Nimes, Waldbühne, Cologne Tanzbrunnen, some Bullrings and Taormina
Love will find a Way

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #239 on: March 17, 2021, 11:04:51 PM »
That poses the question of whether or not we think Mark will ever play live shows again?

Looking at the shows from 2015, and considering the degradation from 2013, I was concerned he would not tour again.  This was reinforced when he stopped playing TR during the 2nd half of the tour.  I was wrong and we got another tour in 2019, albeit with a "restricted setlist" and more musicians to take the heat off him.

I really don't think there's any point in another tour.  2019 was good enough in it's own undemanding way, any less and I'd rather he didn't.
The big touring times may indeed be in the books for MK but a few shows once in a while would be ideal like others said. Live experience of MK is much more than just listening to him play and sing even if he mumbles some lyrics here and there. It's about the thrill of being there at the same time and place, about the atmosphere, about that gut feeling when you see him with the guitar right in front of you, about sharing the magic moment with your friends and family that went to the gig with you, the list goes on. The analysis and critique of his performance comes later. The first impression is usually enthusiastic. Have you met a person that did not enjoy being at the MK concert in 2019?
I would love to see him play live again but I have a feeling it will be more and more difficult. Fewer concerts means it will be harder to get tickets.
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 39 queries.