Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: "More music coming your way"  (Read 49803 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: "More music coming your way"
« Reply #270 on: March 19, 2021, 02:13:00 PM »
I'm afraid I don't agree about him playing better seated.  Perhaps the slower songs may be unaffected but the faster tunes certainly are.  You can see him visibly struggling into a variety of different uncomfortable looking positions when playing the faster ones.  He was clearly restricted.
Telegraph road Paris 2010 has one of the best end solos I've ever heard... The song lasted the full 14 minutes... and yet he was seated :)

You can't make an assessment based on one version.
Why not ? That's a version I had a chance to see live, and I really enjoyed it.
I never said that the whole tour was equally perfect. But the simple fact that some versions were good demonstrates that is not impossible to be seated and play well...

Don't you think that this is an illusion? Some sort of placebo effect. I mean that playing standing is better. If anything, playing sitting is a hundred times more comfortable, less strain on your hands, on your back, playing in the "barstool" position may be the best way to play really. The standing position is really great for flashy solos with guitar faces, though. So it may explain your point. I acknowlege that playing while sitting is not a "rockstar" way to do it.

If Mark played better seated then he would have been sitting down since the '70s.  He hasn't because he doesn't.

He didn't have a bad back in the 70s and he was many years younger!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #271 on: March 19, 2021, 03:12:55 PM »
I'm afraid I don't agree about him playing better seated.  Perhaps the slower songs may be unaffected but the faster tunes certainly are.  You can see him visibly struggling into a variety of different uncomfortable looking positions when playing the faster ones.  He was clearly restricted.
Telegraph road Paris 2010 has one of the best end solos I've ever heard... The song lasted the full 14 minutes... and yet he was seated :)

You can't make an assessment based on one version.
Why not ? That's a version I had a chance to see live, and I really enjoyed it.
I never said that the whole tour was equally perfect. But the simple fact that some versions were good demonstrates that is not impossible to be seated and play well...

Don't you think that this is an illusion? Some sort of placebo effect. I mean that playing standing is better. If anything, playing sitting is a hundred times more comfortable, less strain on your hands, on your back, playing in the "barstool" position may be the best way to play really. The standing position is really great for flashy solos with guitar faces, though. So it may explain your point. I acknowlege that playing while sitting is not a "rockstar" way to do it.

If Mark played better seated then he would have been sitting down since the '70s.  He hasn't because he doesn't.

He didn't have a bad back in the 70s and he was many years younger!

So if I am to understand then the general consensus is that he plays better seated now because he has a bad back, but in the earlier days he was better standing.

I still don't agree otherwise why would he stand up again after playing the majority of the Get Lucky tour seated?  He knows he plays better standing, he noticeably finds it more comfortable and why does sitting down help your back?  It's worse for your posture!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #272 on: March 19, 2021, 03:20:23 PM »
dmg, Were you at the four concerts I mentioned earlier? 
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #273 on: March 19, 2021, 03:26:06 PM »
Seated or stand, the best solo tour, for me was the STP tour.
Tone, energy, performance.. everything was perfect.

Telegraph Road final solo on european leg of STP tour was beyond outstanding. Oh my...

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #274 on: March 19, 2021, 03:30:17 PM »

Telegraph Road final solo on european leg of STP tour was beyond outstanding. Oh my...

Golden Heart tour was the best. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #275 on: March 19, 2021, 03:35:47 PM »

Yes I loved every minute of the concert I attended.   It was very long and I was standing next to Ed Bicknell, who signed my tour book.   I  told him I was very excited and he said that he was very nervous!   ;D   
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #276 on: March 19, 2021, 03:47:46 PM »

GH was great indeed.

I permit myself to imagine that the KTGC Tour, with the right choice of songs, would be magical.
I always imagined that song like Je Suis Désolé, Vic And Ray, Im The Fool, Are We In Trouble Now, even Darling Pretty would be perfect for that tour.

Just imagining

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #277 on: March 19, 2021, 06:37:29 PM »
In my opinion, MK plays standing up again after 2010 because it's what playing for a big audience is about in people's mind. If you can stand, you stand
When he had to sit in 2010 he kept explaining he had to for medical reasons as an apology of sort, I remember thinking : what's the matter with playing seated, no need to apologize. MK fans are here for the music anyway not to see him dance. 

He always added in his little chat that "sometimes a little change makes his playing different", I don't exactly remember how he phrased it but that was the essence of it. So he noted a difference, not in a bad way.

Let's put it differently, Mark records his music seated if we can judge from the many session photographs , if he thought he played better standing he would record standing.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #278 on: March 19, 2021, 06:53:01 PM »
In my opinion, MK plays standing up again after 2010 because it's what playing for a big audience is about in people's mind. If you can stand, you stand
When he had to sit in 2010 he kept explaining he had to for medical reasons as an apology of sort, I remember thinking : what's the matter with playing seated, no need to apologize. MK fans are here for the music anyway not to see him dance. 

He always added in his little chat that "sometimes a little change makes his playing different", I don't exactly remember how he phrased it but that was the essence of it. So he noted a difference, not in a bad way.

Let's put it differently, Mark records his music seated if we can judge from the many session photographs , if he thought he played better standing he would record standing.

I love this thread :thumbsup A bit off-topic, but it's about possible new shows, so whatever. Generally speaking, it's great to play seated, but it's much better for your voice when you stand. So ideally, one should play while sitting and sing while standing, but as Mark is a singer-songwriter, that challenges things dramatically. Then, if you want to sing well, you stand up, but playing may suffer a little. Personally, I never found playing standing a comfortable thing to do, but people are so accustomed to musicians playing standing, that Mark needs to apologize, which is ridiculous.

It's all just the idea of putting labels on stuff, the thing that Mark never been a fan of. Sitting = smaller audiences, clubs, etc., standing = stadiums and concert halls. To me, it was a badass idea when Mark played on a stool. Nobody does that! And nobody really cares.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #279 on: March 19, 2021, 08:12:26 PM »

You didn't have to put up with me at any of the four shows you mentioned Val.  ;) ;D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #280 on: March 20, 2021, 09:38:30 AM »

You didn't have to put up with me at any of the four shows you mentioned Val.  ;) ;D

I never have to "put up with you" dmg. On the contrary, I always enjoy your company at MK concerts, but these four were before I knew you.  I'm sure you would have enjoyed them, though, especially as there was no "Marblebore" to spoil the show at Brighton & Bournemouth.  ;D  The recordings I have of three of the concerts still remind me of how good they were (Dublin wasn't recorded for some reason).   :wave
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 12:22:02 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #281 on: March 20, 2021, 01:21:19 PM »

I never have to "put up with you" dmg. On the contrary, I always enjoy your company at MK concerts, but these four were before I knew you.  I'm sure you would have enjoyed them, though, especially as there was no "Marblebore" to spoil the show at Brighton & Bournemouth.  ;D  The recordings I have of three of the concerts still remind me of how good they were (Dublin wasn't recorded for some reason).   :wave

Yes, I had wanted to do the South Coast shows but once I decided to do it he never returned!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #282 on: March 20, 2021, 06:38:12 PM »

Yes, I had wanted to do the South Coast shows but once I decided to do it he never returned!

Yeah, I also was expecting the last two tours for dates in Brighton or bournemouth but looks like playing at the O2 in London is better.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinetngemini

• Guitar George
« Reply #283 on: March 21, 2021, 11:58:20 AM »
  :clap :thumbsup

Are we talking about the same MK? I don’t think he is sick, it’s not sad, he is not dead inside. He is getting old, and that’s all right. I hope he will continue touring as long as he likes. I’ll be there. I don’t care about him getting slower or anything. I just love his tone and the music. When I want the past, I have loads of recordings.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #284 on: March 21, 2021, 01:12:27 PM »
 :thumbsup
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 37 queries.