Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: "More music coming your way"  (Read 49814 times)

OfflineJensen

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: "More music coming your way"
« Reply #285 on: March 27, 2021, 11:09:28 PM »
Are we talking about the same MK? I don’t think he is sick, it’s not sad, he is not dead inside. He is getting old, and that’s all right. I hope he will continue touring as long as he likes. I’ll be there. I don’t care about him getting slower or anything. I just love his tone and the music. When I want the past, I have loads of recordings.

I was thinking something along these lines. My expectations were low when I saw him in 2019 due to everything I had read here and other places. However, though I have seen him more times, this was one of his better performances. Tone and feel was excellent. He had those mysterious tones here or there that can really go straight to the heart because they are unexpected and extremely beautiful. It was obvious he did not have the same speed as he did earlier in life. However, he played the best versions Money for Nothing and BIA I have ever heard him play. His version of Going Home that night was really moving too (though I love the tone of a Les Paul I would have prefered a Stratocaster for that one though).

I have been to a concert with Bob Dylan in which you were lucky if you could even find out what song he was trying to sing. Most of the times you could not. Mark was nowhere near the point where it was embarrasing or anywhere near bad. I may have seen one of the very good concerts. However when I go to youtube, I get the impression it was pretty much the standard.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #286 on: March 31, 2021, 06:55:53 PM »
He is still making music. That is good for me but i do hope he will go on tour again.
Something like Eric Clapton is doing on his next tour in Europe can’t be so hard to do.
He is doing about 20 concerts in Europe including some RAH dates in 4/5 weeks.

OfflineTomcaster

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #287 on: April 01, 2021, 08:59:52 AM »
Guys I can't believe what I am reading here. To me, Knopfler is at his absolute PEAK. To me, Down The Road Wherever is the best album since Sailing to Philadelphia, among the top 3-4 of his entire career. Yes, the man gets older but I prefer him a MILLION times to Mr. Clapton, who needs three albums to yield one decent song (if at all). I won't even mention his last Van Morrison cooperation out of respect for what I owe him as a guitar player. Let us be happy that we have Mark and may he continue making great music for as long as possible.

To me, Mark is one league with irreplaceable people like Freddie Mercury, Jimi Hendrix or Miles Davis. There can be only one!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #288 on: April 01, 2021, 09:19:28 AM »
Guy makes a reference to the Local Hero sountrack telling TBA.

I guess he means the soundtrack of the musical, because of the "To Be Announced" remark. I hope that means upcoming news about the musical and its soundtrack. I know many of you don't mind about the musical, but anyone who attented would say to you the musical have some very beautiful tracks, like this:

You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineMudrian

• Guitar George
« Reply #289 on: April 01, 2021, 09:26:06 AM »
In fact, I think we are not all talking about the same thing.
If we talk about songwriting, albums, I think MK's latest work is superb.
I am always amazed by the ability he has to relate the lives of "normal" people with accuracy and great poetry. The melodies are magnificent as are the arrangements.
As for the technique on the guitar, it is obvious that he has lost some of his dexterity and that some parts are laborious or even impossible for him to play nowadays.
I think the last tour, and the next (if there is one) should be treated as gifts, and not try to see the MK from years ago.
No SOS, not an issue for me as he' s blessed us with so many great versions during is career.
I've been a fan for more than 35 year and I' ve grown with his music. Started at age of 15,focusing on his guitar style ...and now I' m deeplly in love with the "songs"...melodies , lyrics...
 We are all getting old and nature is playing tricks on us.
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #290 on: April 01, 2021, 09:54:15 AM »
I'm really curious about that "more music coming your way" that Guy keeps saying...

We know they are recording new songs, and that the Local Hero musical has to be released too, but I wonder if there are more than that, maybe revisiting something from the past (because of the GH 25th anniversary or STP tour 20th anniversary), we know MK only looks forward, so that makes it unlikely, but... the way Guy says it, looks like there are more than a new record and the Local hero musical soundtrack.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #291 on: April 01, 2021, 10:17:24 AM »
Well, he does have his own album almost ready, plus John Illsley has been writing over lockdown, and Guy will probably be involved in that, Mark must have tons of new songs written over lockdown, maybe another double album on the way?
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #292 on: April 01, 2021, 10:18:13 AM »
Well, he does have his own album almost ready, plus John Illsley has been writing over lockdown, and Guy will probably be involved in that, Mark must have tons of new songs written over lockdown, maybe another double album on the way?

Hopefully not, I prefer quality over quantity.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #293 on: April 01, 2021, 10:37:46 AM »

gimme a triple album damnit!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #294 on: April 01, 2021, 10:51:12 AM »

Only if they are half speed!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #295 on: April 01, 2021, 11:17:45 AM »

One third speed, come on!

Agree with Quizzy here.  We've already experienced a double album and I certainly think half the songs could've been axed.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #296 on: April 01, 2021, 11:37:59 AM »

One third speed, come on!

Agree with Quizzy here.  We've already experienced a double album and I certainly think half the songs could've been axed.

One famous Russian singer-songwriter Boris Grebenshchikov once said something like "to write 1 good song one writes 100 bad ones", I can't imagine the number of songs that end up in the bin of Mark's laptop. But I can easily imagine he can make even a 10-disc album, but it surely won't be "Shangri-La, Part 2".

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #297 on: April 01, 2021, 12:31:00 PM »
Given Mark's age, I will take as many songs from him as I can get, I am one of those rare people who can find something to like in every song he has released, even the maligned Les Boys ;)
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #298 on: April 01, 2021, 12:36:49 PM »
Given Mark's age, I will take as many songs from him as I can get, I am one of those rare people who can find something to like in every song he has released, even the maligned Les Boys ;)

:thumbsup Me too :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #299 on: April 01, 2021, 12:40:09 PM »

I also like most of the bonus tracks, and I'm sure that I would like a lot many of the songs that remain unreleased despite MK thinking they are not worth...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 37 queries.