Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits and...Drums  (Read 7215 times)

OfflineLucas_99

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Dire Straits and...Drums
« on: May 16, 2021, 06:52:09 PM »
I've read a lot about all the different drumers in Dire Straits here on the forum and how they all had a hard time with Mark.
I wonder why Chris Whitten is regarded as the worst drummer for OES Tour? Especially on how he ruined Sultans of Swing. I think differently on that but im interested into the others perspective.
I like all Drummers, from Pick to Chris. They all fit very well into the band at the time.

The only one I dont really like is Chad Cromwell drummings on DS Songs but thats it.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
Re: Dire Straits and...Drums
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 10:25:15 PM »
Picks drumming had real character for me, an instantly recognisable style. Terry, while a really good and powerful drummer never quite had that. Take TOL or Sultans as prime examples of the difference.

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 10:39:20 PM »
Pick and Terry had soul, no offence to Chris, but it didn't sound like he really liked playing the songs and his sound was technically very good, but to me felt clinical and the songs suffered as a result on the OES tour.  However, this was also combined with pedal steel and percussion additions which over complicated the sound on this tour, as well as MK not enjoying the tour.

Terry was a pure powerhouse, in a good way, and I liked his drumming on tours the best - Alchemy would not be what it is without Terry at the helm.  Pick was more of a jazz drummer and his contributions to 4 out of 6 studio albums should not be understated; really intricate.

Onlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 11:24:57 AM »
It is well known that after the recordings of on every street, Mark found himself receiving many no's in forming the band for the tour. Two names above all: Jeff Porcaro and Vince Gil. Obviously we will never know how it would have been with their contribution, but certainly a different sound.
The fact that Mark got tired right away is a sign that at some point the sound probably no longer satisfied him. I remember that on the no listing sos  for otn he charged it precisely to the fact of the unsatisfactory sound.
Then in my opinion a heavy presence of pedal steel on everything, made that tour still adorable for us, but targeted by general critics.
 :thumbsup

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 01:11:04 PM »
I always says that Chris Whitten drumming in SOS is like he was trying to hunt a flie around his drumkit with his drumsticks...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

hunter

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 01:22:19 PM »
@Lucas_99 - You should change the size of your avatar. It's too tall.

As for drummers, I love Pick's work on the first two albums in particular. His style works especially well in a small-ensemble setting. On the "big" songs, like TOL and TR, I'm not so sure.

Terry's work on Alchemy though is just amazing. Totally love his drumming on OUATITW. He's not the man for subtleties and intricate studio work, but live he kicks butt.

Chris Whitten probably shouldn't have been chosen in the first place as, by his own admission, he wasn't keen on the music OR working with Mark. Obviously, he's not a bad drummer, and there's a lot of great stuff of his from the OES recordings. I honestely think he fit rather well to the "studio-style sound" Mark wanted for that tour, but I think Terry would have brought a lot more "fun" to the gig.

Love Expresso

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 02:21:35 PM »
To a man like MK who has obviously a problem with drummers and the meaning of drumming in general ("the best drummer is no drummer at all"), Chris Whitten or also Manu Katché, to whom his music meant nothing, were the perfect drummers.

Chris Whitten definitely delivered the best Live Sultans apart from Terry Williams.

LE

Love Expresso

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 02:28:52 PM »
During the OES tour, there was an MTV special and I remember a short interview clip with John Illsley about the new tour and his voice and body language said it all.. "we needed a new drummer, Chris was available, nice chap (shrugging shoulders) so he is on board.." in a very bored, unfriendly manner. It seems they saw the whole tour as "a job to be done" from the very beginning.

LE

Love Expresso

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 02:35:03 PM »
Looked for it, from min 4:40

Memory served pretty well..  ;D

LE

OfflineLucas_99

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 06:41:51 PM »
@hunter Havent figured out how to upload a picture. Its says, that it wont upload but i will check...

Well they all never have been that much excited in interviews... But yeah, the way, they gave interviews in 92, it rlly seems like a "job to be done".
I didnt know, that Vince Gill was asked to join the Tour...
aaand i found that interview here:

Its very similiar to David saying, that he "doesnt just want to be a strummer in someone elses dream"

Regarding Chris, i see what you mean... Comes down to taste i guess. In general, i like when songs are played faster than usual so yeah.. :D

OfflineTerry01

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 07:43:43 PM »
In my opinion, the best drummer (tecnhically talking) it´s Pick. The elegance of Pick was really nice.
In my personal preference, i think Terry Williams was the best drummer for the live situation. The force that Terry give to all songs, it´s awesome. And chris witten.. it´s a great drummer too, for sure, but i don´t like it. I think Chris Whitten ruined some songs, for example Sultans.. or the final solo on Money for Nothing.. i dont know if the concerts from 1992 sounds bad due a mix thing (on the BAsel recording, the drums sounds average, without power, but On the night, the drums sounds very very processed, and when the instruments sound very processed, they lost the  beauty of the natural sound).
But it´s my humble opinion, in terms of groove and technique, Pick is the best. But for the live shows, for me, Terry was the best. I think that Alchemy, witout Terry, doesnt the same!

Greetings all from Argentina and sorry for my bad english
Enzo

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 02:36:56 AM »
In my opinion, the best drummer (tecnhically talking) it´s Pick. The elegance of Pick was really nice.
In my personal preference, i think Terry Williams was the best drummer for the live situation. The force that Terry give to all songs, it´s awesome. And chris witten.. it´s a great drummer too, for sure, but i don´t like it. I think Chris Whitten ruined some songs, for example Sultans.. or the final solo on Money for Nothing.. i dont know if the concerts from 1992 sounds bad due a mix thing (on the BAsel recording, the drums sounds average, without power, but On the night, the drums sounds very very processed, and when the instruments sound very processed, they lost the  beauty of the natural sound).
But it´s my humble opinion, in terms of groove and technique, Pick is the best. But for the live shows, for me, Terry was the best. I think that Alchemy, witout Terry, doesnt the same!

Greetings all from Argentina and sorry for my bad english
Enzo

I have this same perspective, Pick is part of the sound gear that marked the band the first 4 albums, live between 1977/1979 it worked very well for that musical proposal, in the studio it was divine, perfect, but, with the sound change, Terry live was fundamental, Alchemy without Terry would not be the same, a pity that he did not participate in the OES tour 91/92, I have no doubt that it would be much more fun and interesting, Cris did not harmonize with the sonorous nature of the DS.
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 07:22:43 PM »
Some people have really strong opinion here, but music is down to personnal taste, nothing is definite.

My favourite sultans are the one with Chad Cromwell, really clean sound, perfect note at perfectly timed, just what I like.

I also like Terry's kind of energetic playing, he does look busy around the drums and it's what most people like at a concert, including me, music can also be "seen".
I don't quite like Chris Whitten's drumming, but then again I don't like that version of sultans, too fast, too in your face, the guitar is too technical almost. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 11:39:57 AM by Pierre »

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 01:04:17 PM »
I'd love to hear the Terry BIA versions - must be a boxset one day...
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 09:21:01 PM »
Some people have really strong opinion here, but music is down to personnal taste, nothing is definite.

My favourite sultans are the one with Chad Cromwell, really clean sound, perfect note at perfectly timed, just what I like.

I also like Terry's kind of energetic playing, he does look busy around the drums and it's what most people like at a concert, including me, music can also be "seen".
From physical appearance to overall feeling about his music, I don't quite like Chris Whitten. He had that "I'm a Professional" look if that means anything.

I totally agree with everything you say. Also I'm glad there is finally someone who appreciates Chad Cromwell's fine drumming. He is my favourite next to Pick Withers whose style still is unique.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 45 queries.