Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project  (Read 70219 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project
« Reply #870 on: March 17, 2024, 12:05:48 PM »
Hahah, I’ve listened to it one million times today in the car, and it’s the greatest music thing I’ve heard in ages. I love it! Everything about it is great. Guitar and MK OVERLOAD!! Love it!! Incredibly well mixed. So cool and maximalistic. I accidently said that MK hadn’t been cool since 1981, but I was wrong. MK is still cool. And I am happy.

You mean "Guy Fletcher is cool"? Don't think Mark has been that involved to be honest, apart from playing his parts and handing his address book to Guy LOL
Guy even said "this one really was all my work"  ;D
I asked Guy a while back about why MKs solo albums lost dynamic range and he said he doesn’t care about it.

You either notice it or you don’t.
The last few solo albums were a lot better, dynamically, than the much-liked Golden Heart and STP in their non-HDCD-decoded versions (as well as the remasters from the 1996-2007 box set). Those are really quite limited.
HDCD was a stupid hack to begin with, you can't have more than 16 bits on a CD, period. That got even worse when this thing became Microsoft proprietary, no CD manufacturer would pay them for the license, so no player would support it.
I would have hoped that the remasters would have fixed the dynamics in a normal redbook format... You say that's not the case? Too bad!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #871 on: March 17, 2024, 12:07:35 PM »
It is Ringo Starr, let him do whatever he wants and that would be perfect.

Come on, this is a song full of strange noises from more than 60 people, and is the drums at the end the problem?

Lol

And the most important, it's for a good cause!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #872 on: March 17, 2024, 12:08:59 PM »
I wonder if it would be a perfect moment to release that MK and friends gig at the Shepherd's Bush Empire 2002 that was played in aid for the TCT and professionally recorded and never released.

I mean, it was a concert for TCT, and it was recorded and remains unreleased.

Come on!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #873 on: March 17, 2024, 12:10:11 PM »

Come on, this is a song full of strange noises from more than 60 people, and is the drums at the end the problem?

Lol

Well, the result from the 60 people is consistent, a delicious organised mess.
The drums at the end feels very odd in comparison, like a piece of hair in the soup, as we say in France... Strange !

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #874 on: March 17, 2024, 12:10:51 PM »
I wonder if it would be a perfect moment to release that MK and friends gig at the Shepherd's Bush Empire 2002 that was played in aid for the TCT and professionally recorded and never released.

I mean, it was a concert for TCT, and it was recorded and remains unreleased.

Come on!
I would really love that! 2002 was maybe the best year of all...

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #875 on: March 17, 2024, 12:34:09 PM »

Let's hope the sales are massive.

Well on Amazon Germany you have to wait 1-2 months to receive a copy of the CD.
Luckily mine arrived on friday. I wonder why there is no support on Social media from all the artists.
I mean Satriani and Bonamassa alone have 1.7 mio followers and it would have been great if Guy would have asked all the artist to publish
something on the release date on friday to raise the sales. Very strange. and of course the missed opportunity the record some video stuff to make a video for youtube e.g.

Any guesses for the lick at 3.01 ?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 12:39:11 PM by Darling Pretty »
Love will find a Way

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #876 on: March 17, 2024, 01:30:09 PM »

Lol

Well, the result from the 60 people is consistent, a delicious organised mess.
The drums at the end feels very odd in comparison, like a piece of hair in the soup, as we say in France... Strange !

The devil is in the details and attention to tiniest of details is what we learned to expect from Mark. Once again, expectations ruin everything. Love the hair in the soup comparison. The soup itself is not great AND you have a hair in it, thank you very much :lol

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #877 on: March 17, 2024, 01:36:11 PM »
Hahah, I’ve listened to it one million times today in the car, and it’s the greatest music thing I’ve heard in ages. I love it! Everything about it is great. Guitar and MK OVERLOAD!! Love it!! Incredibly well mixed. So cool and maximalistic. I accidently said that MK hadn’t been cool since 1981, but I was wrong. MK is still cool. And I am happy.

I believe the remasters are worse.

You mean "Guy Fletcher is cool"? Don't think Mark has been that involved to be honest, apart from playing his parts and handing his address book to Guy LOL
Guy even said "this one really was all my work"  ;D
I asked Guy a while back about why MKs solo albums lost dynamic range and he said he doesn’t care about it.

You either notice it or you don’t.
The last few solo albums were a lot better, dynamically, than the much-liked Golden Heart and STP in their non-HDCD-decoded versions (as well as the remasters from the 1996-2007 box set). Those are really quite limited.
HDCD was a stupid hack to begin with, you can't have more than 16 bits on a CD, period. That got even worse when this thing became Microsoft proprietary, no CD manufacturer would pay them for the license, so no player would support it.
I would have hoped that the remasters would have fixed the dynamics in a normal redbook format... You say that's not the case? Too bad!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #878 on: March 17, 2024, 04:48:56 PM »

Let's hope the sales are massive.

Well on Amazon Germany you have to wait 1-2 months to receive a copy of the CD.
Luckily mine arrived on friday. I wonder why there is no support on Social media from all the artists.
I mean Satriani and Bonamassa alone have 1.7 mio followers and it would have been great if Guy would have asked all the artist to publish
something on the release date on friday to raise the sales. Very strange. and of course the missed opportunity the record some video stuff to make a video for youtube e.g.

Any guesses for the lick at 3.01 ?

Clapton?
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineIron Hand

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #879 on: March 17, 2024, 08:41:25 PM »
I believe the remasters are worse.
Yeah, sadly that's the case (or let's say they're barely different). Which is odd since STP at least exists as a differently mastered hi-res download.
"I don't know how you came to get the Bette Davis kneeees"

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #881 on: March 17, 2024, 11:43:51 PM »
Nice. He can still pull it off, boom like that :-)

Jimin, Jung Kook, Dasha, Kim Tae-hyung ... if someone had read those names out to me, I'd have thought it was some Asian takeaway menu. Not my generation, I suppose  ;D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #882 on: March 18, 2024, 12:16:31 AM »
Re: HDCD, I emailed Chuck Ainlay many years ago and asked him if HDCD (and Super Bit Mapping) actually sounded any better when played on an ordinary, non-HDCD player.  His response was full of sound engineering technical jargon that went completely over my head, but I understood to mean "Maybe a little".

Re: Going Home ending, isn't that the producer's job, to tell the artist (even Ringo) that something sounds like crap?  Seems to me like it would be.
Talk soft, carry a big stick, and pack the biggest gun.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #883 on: March 18, 2024, 01:19:19 AM »
Re: HDCD, I emailed Chuck Ainlay many years ago and asked him if HDCD (and Super Bit Mapping) actually sounded any better when played on an ordinary, non-HDCD player.  His response was full of sound engineering technical jargon that went completely over my head, but I understood to mean "Maybe a little".

Re: Going Home ending, isn't that the producer's job, to tell the artist (even Ringo) that something sounds like crap?  Seems to me like it would be.

People certainly underestimate the role of a producer. I think it's huge—an overarching role, a decision-making role. Ringo is the chillest dude on the planet and I already described why it's important to love him, but in the case of this recording, I think this "random" ending was a bit over the top and classic late Ringo, almost like trying to sabotage the recording or something. A little strange, to say the least. Look at his masterclass on masterclass.com, it's the most bizarre drumming masterclass you can watch and you learn absolutely nothing about drumming, though it has a lot of this "flamboyant persona" vibe. I'm not a fan.

And yes, it's a mystery why somebody like Guy would listen to THIS ending, then probably Mark would listen to this, and a dozen other important and skilled people hear this and all of them give their thumbs-up like this is okay. Put it out. It's ready. It's not going to confuse people at all, it doesn't sound strange.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #884 on: March 18, 2024, 01:21:01 AM »
It's been 3 days after the release of the track, weeks after the announcement, and years after work on it started, and still, not a single guitar YouTuber mentioned Mark's "historic recording" even though it involved a lot of musicians people like to obsess over on YouTube save maybe for John Mayer. It looks like nobody even had it in the pipeline.

Each one of these YouTubers released a video right after Rolling Stone's mess of 250 best guitar players list was dropped without warning, making pretty much every guitarist on Earth know about this stupid list and giving them millions of views. I wonder who will be the first to break the mould and finally talk about Mark as the guy is seemingly blacklisted in the multi-million guitar YouTubers clique.

As somebody who's checking the pulse of this rather obnoxious YouTube guitar community pretty often, I am astonished at how criminally underrated Mark still is. Wake up, people.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 39 queries.