Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project  (Read 70223 times)

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project
« Reply #885 on: March 18, 2024, 06:06:03 AM »
It's been 3 days after the release of the track, weeks after the announcement, and years after work on it started, and still, not a single guitar YouTuber mentioned Mark's "historic recording" even though it involved a lot of musicians people like to obsess over on YouTube save maybe for John Mayer. It looks like nobody even had it in the pipeline.

Each one of these YouTubers released a video right after Rolling Stone's mess of 250 best guitar players list was dropped without warning, making pretty much every guitarist on Earth know about this stupid list and giving them millions of views. I wonder who will be the first to break the mould and finally talk about Mark as the guy is seemingly blacklisted in the multi-million guitar YouTubers clique.

As somebody who's checking the pulse of this rather obnoxious YouTube guitar community pretty often, I am astonished at how criminally underrated Mark still is. Wake up, people.

Mark is not underrated. Everywhere I look he's highly praised as a guitar player with an exceptional touch and taste. The problem is that he hasn't really brought anything exciting to the table in terms of guitar playing for the last 30+ years. Which is by choice. The most interesting stuff guitarwise happened during the first four DS albums, and that has been discussed to death long time ago. A steadily decreasing emphasis on the guitar and a string of solo albums that are very similar; not exactly suprising why Mark isn't a hot topic in the YouTube community. Even as a long time fan, I can barely maintain interest myself.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #886 on: March 18, 2024, 08:19:05 AM »
It's been 3 days after the release of the track, weeks after the announcement, and years after work on it started, and still, not a single guitar YouTuber mentioned Mark's "historic recording" even though it involved a lot of musicians people like to obsess over on YouTube save maybe for John Mayer. It looks like nobody even had it in the pipeline.

Each one of these YouTubers released a video right after Rolling Stone's mess of 250 best guitar players list was dropped without warning, making pretty much every guitarist on Earth know about this stupid list and giving them millions of views. I wonder who will be the first to break the mould and finally talk about Mark as the guy is seemingly blacklisted in the multi-million guitar YouTubers clique.

As somebody who's checking the pulse of this rather obnoxious YouTube guitar community pretty often, I am astonished at how criminally underrated Mark still is. Wake up, people.

Mark is not underrated. Everywhere I look he's highly praised as a guitar player with an exceptional touch and taste. The problem is that he hasn't really brought anything exciting to the table in terms of guitar playing for the last 30+ years. Which is by choice. The most interesting stuff guitarwise happened during the first four DS albums, and that has been discussed to death long time ago. A steadily decreasing emphasis on the guitar and a string of solo albums that are very similar; not exactly suprising why Mark isn't a hot topic in the YouTube community. Even as a long time fan, I can barely maintain interest myself.

Yes, "by choice" is a good way to put it, "underrated" is bad. Mark is definitely happy to be less prominent and discussed, this I understand, but people's choice of not featuring his music more often I honestly do not understand sometimes. You can say this thing of "not bringing anything exciting and new to the table" about a lot of artists, but it doesn't stop everybody from talking about them, whether the artists themselves want it or not.

Mark, on the other hand, for most people is just "The Dire Straits guy who played this riff". And the riff in question is either 'Sultans Of Swing' or 'Money For Nothing', without exception, sometimes comically so. Even Rick Beato's latest video on Mark to date, which got over a million views, by the way, was exactly about this. It was titled "Did Dire Straits Create the Coolest Riff Ever?". Dire Straits, not even Mark Knopfler! LOL!

I find Mark's post-DS guitar work more soulful, intricate, interesting, sophisticated and refined, he grows as a songwriter and as a guitar player all the time. And you'd be hard-pressed to find an artist who's as consistent, as prolific and as successful of a songwriter ON TOP of a great guitar player as he is. Heck, Mark's body of work is enough on its own to keep somebody like me going for son-to-be 10 years on YouTube, it's a treasure trove of fun.

Songs like 'Postcards From Paraguay', 'Sailing To Philadelphia', 'Baloney Again', 'Privateering', 'Get Lucky', 'The Ragpicker's Dream' and many others are amazingly well-written, shockingly beautiful, extremely interesting guitar-wise AND provide a great listening experience, cherished by a lot of people evidently by Mark's success of playing it live. And all this while completely blinding most people with the flashy guitar playing in early Dire Straits.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #887 on: March 18, 2024, 08:44:49 AM »
I'm not saying that his solo work isn't high quality. The same goes for the songs you mentioned. But the fact is that (almost) everything Mark has played on his solo albums are more or less rehashed versions of what he already has done many years before, and those versions are usually watered down, minimalistic, and frankly not that exciting. Especially for younger players looking for hot guitar playing (and for YouTubers wanting views). His Strat tone never really got better than on Communique (at least in my opinion), his soulful distorted playing never got much better than on BIA (the song, the album), he peaked technically when he spent time with Chet Atkins, but we are talking 35 years ago. His playing during the solo years does indeed have value, and there's much to be said for a less-is-more approach, but none of it is really revolutionary. If you want minimalistic, look to JJ Cale or Mike Campbell for example. We are biased because we are fans, but frankly there are tons of guitar players I find a lot more interesting than Mark. Not only technically, but also musically and creatively speaking.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #888 on: March 18, 2024, 10:22:13 AM »
It was titled "Did Dire Straits Create the Coolest Riff Ever?". Dire Straits, not even Mark Knopfler! LOL!

I neither know nor care about guitar youtubers but with online stuff in general I believe you need to get clicks/likes.

Dire Straits is much better known that Mark Knopfler so it stands to reason that you would title it that way if you wanted to get clicks.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #889 on: March 18, 2024, 04:29:40 PM »

Let's hope the sales are massive.

Well on Amazon Germany you have to wait 1-2 months to receive a copy of the CD.
Luckily mine arrived on friday. I wonder why there is no support on Social media from all the artists.
I mean Satriani and Bonamassa alone have 1.7 mio followers and it would have been great if Guy would have asked all the artist to publish
something on the release date on friday to raise the sales. Very strange. and of course the missed opportunity the record some video stuff to make a video for youtube e.g.

Any guesses for the lick at 3.01 ?

Clapton?

Yes I think the same

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #890 on: March 18, 2024, 11:17:06 PM »
Picked up my Vinyl copy today. Absolutely no problems getting it out of the wrapper. The etched 'B' side is beautiful....
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 11:19:11 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinemjhadlick

• Guitar George
  • DS fan since 1979...
« Reply #891 on: March 18, 2024, 11:32:27 PM »
Would love to decode who is playing by listening to it.

me too. I am impatient to see Guy's video with all names animated while the tune si playing

There is going to be such a thing? Can't wait!
...it takes Love Over Gold
and mind over matter
to do what you do that you must...

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #892 on: March 18, 2024, 11:43:11 PM »
So in my job as a teacher I’m trained to give “praise sandwiches.”
I’m not particularly good at it but let’s try it here.

First of all, you can’t help but admire and respect Guy for the sheer effort and the amount of work he put in. He must have been absolutely sick of that track by the time we heard it. Even if you don’t like his work-what a man! Seriously, what a man.

Much like some others here, I was disappointed by the initial minute snippet that we heard and the rest of the track didn’t change my mind particularly. I think the minute that was shared may just about have been the most “muddy” part of the track though imo.
I remember someone saying that we wouldn’t stand at the side of a track and shout “run faster” to the runners who are racing.
I can’t help but think that’s completely different. We are not saying to try any harder to the players!
They’re all amazing and at the top of their game. The reality is, them all playing over each other is inevitably going to sound over kill and “muddy.”
If I saw all the runners in the same lane and trying to push past each other without changing lane, then it might be a similar analogy.
I’m not criticising any of the players but them all playing together is just too much. The ending of the AMAZING Concert for Monserrat had an acceptable level of guitar players to make it sound awesome-too many more and it would have been overkill.

Regarding the ending, I’m amazed that it’s not IANTO. He went through a phase of trying to get the last beat of every song in during love shows which several on here thought was immature. Even though we know it’s not true, I still think it’s a slightly off ending to the song.

Having said all that, the video of Mark speaking to the patients was really moving and a much needed video to ground my thoughts on the song.
The cause is superb and the musicians very generous.
Well done to all involved on a worthwhile project.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #893 on: March 19, 2024, 04:44:54 PM »
Received an email from HMV today that my vinyl was ready for collection and picked it up this afternoon.   It came out of the wrapper easily and there was no warping - sounds great too!   Very happy.   :)

Mr Val says it has to be played very loud with all of the windows open!   ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 05:08:10 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #894 on: March 19, 2024, 05:24:25 PM »
I really LOVE the track. Got my hands on the 192/24 version and it's amazing when played loud on good speakers. I love the part between 7.30 and 9.00. The part around 8.30 is awesome (who is playing there?) Is that Eric? Slash?

I really can't imagine that people here just listen once and never again... impossible in my opinion. Just give it some more... air guitar time and head shaking guaranteed  ;)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #895 on: March 19, 2024, 05:30:59 PM »
I really LOVE the track. Got my hands on the 192/24 version and it's amazing when played loud on good speakers. I love the part between 7.30 and 9.00. The part around 8.30 is awesome (who is playing there?) Is that Eric? Slash?

I really can't imagine that people here just listen once and never again... impossible in my opinion. Just give it some more... air guitar time and head shaking guaranteed  ;)
My guess the end is played by Tom Morello, Joe Satriani, Steve Lukather and Steve Vai

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #896 on: March 19, 2024, 05:32:33 PM »
The 9.00 - 9.30 part is Peter Frampton i think. I read that Guy said that hey played the end.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #897 on: March 19, 2024, 05:47:04 PM »

Dunno, for all my MK friends whom I asked about it, 10 people or so, it's a one-time listen. Either something is wrong with all my friends and me, or... :lol

I envy people who are in line with Guy's vision as Mark's music is gonna be 90% Guy from now on apparently, so if you love Guy's work — good for you! ;D

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #898 on: March 19, 2024, 05:56:05 PM »

Dunno, for all my MK friends whom I asked about it, 10 people or so, it's a one-time listen. Either something is wrong with all my friends and me, or... :lol

I envy people who are in line with Guy's vision as Mark's music is gonna be 90% Guy from now on apparently, so if you love Guy's work — good for you! ;D

It had nothing to do with Guys work or not... its stuffed with awesome guitar, i think you do yourself short by listening just once. The solos between 8 and 8.30 are so nice. I always loved Going Home btw.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #899 on: March 19, 2024, 06:20:26 PM »

I feel the same. The song has a lot of power and energy.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 39 queries.