Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Local Hero Musical - London 2023  (Read 18785 times)

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
Re: Local Hero Musical - London 2023
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2022, 11:25:03 AM »
Sales,or lack of,figures.
https://bestsellingalbums.org/artist/8492

Not sure how reliable that data is. McCartney's latest two records aren't even in the database. It only lists sales for DTRW in Poland. I'm quite sure he sold more of them in the UK than in Poland.

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2022, 11:27:16 AM »
The expectation from the Chichester show made me remember the Sting musical, The Last Ship, and spend an afternoon free at home to watch the concert Sting gave with some actors to present his musical:

After watch it, I was thinking it would be possible to MK and his band to do a similar thing, in a theater, playing the songs, even singing some of them, and maybe it could be...

I mean, I can imagine the musicians in one corner, MK, John McCusker, Ianto, Guy, a bass player (Ewan Vernel?) and an acordionist (Ian Lothian? Donald Shaw?) playing the songs, while in the middle of the stage, you have the main actors and at the other corner, the red cabin.

These are the songs, and I think MK could sing himelf some of the songs, introducing the emotional state of the character before singing it, like Sting does:

Act I

"A Barrel Of Crude" - Company
    "Houston We Have A Problem" - Mac - MK COULD SING THIS ONE
    "We're Going To Make A Killing" - Company
    "What A Life" - Ben - MK COULD SING THIS ONE
    "Filthy Dirty Rich" - Gordon, Stella and Company
    "Rocks And Water" - Stella - MK COULD SING THIS ONE, AS THERE IS A VERSION RECORDED IN WHICH IS MAC WHO SINGS IT
    "That'd Do Me" - Company
    "Big Mac" - Iain, Viktor and Company
    "I Wonder If I Can Go Home Again" - Mistress Fraser and Company
    "Lone Star State" - Viktor

Act II

"Never Felt Better" - Company
    "Cheerio Away You Go" - Ben and Stella
    "Get A Move On"- Company
    "Numbers"- Stella and Mac
    "All The Things That We Do" - Company Women
    "In An Ideal Word" - Mac and Gordon
    "Game Over" - Stella
    "I Wonder If I Can Go Home Again (reprise)" - Mac - MK COULD SING THIS ONE
    "Aiming For The Stars" - Ben and Company - MK COULD SING THIS ONE
    "Going Home"

I think it could make a good live performance, involving MK, that can be recorded and release it on dvd/BR, same way that Sting did with his Last Ship one.

That would be a wonderful event..

Yes, it would be something truly amazing, that would have in just one show the magic of the musical itself and the magic of MK and his band playing and singing for the fans!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2022, 11:35:02 AM »

Not sure how reliable that data is. McCartney's latest two records aren't even in the database. It only lists sales for DTRW in Poland. I'm quite sure he sold more of them in the UK than in Poland.
Well the lack of silver,gold or platinum discs for the sales of DTRW would also indicate it hardly sold.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2022, 11:40:47 AM »

Well the lack of silver,gold or platinum discs for the sales of DTRW would also indicate it hardly sold.

If a sale is represented by someone purchasing a CD or some other physical thing, then it's not surprising at all. I already said it, but I think in the distant future music will be transferred straight to the brain, or you could by a 3D hologram version of the artists to play in your house, but these guys will still measure sales in CDs.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2022, 11:47:53 AM »
The expectation from the Chichester show made me remember the Sting musical, The Last Ship, and spend an afternoon free at home to watch the concert Sting gave with some actors to present his musical:

After watch it, I was thinking it would be possible to MK and his band to do a similar thing, in a theater, playing the songs, even singing some of them, and maybe it could be...

I mean, I can imagine the musicians in one corner, MK, John McCusker, Ianto, Guy, a bass player (Ewan Vernel?) and an acordionist (Ian Lothian? Donald Shaw?) playing the songs, while in the middle of the stage, you have the main actors and at the other corner, the red cabin.

These are the songs, and I think MK could sing himelf some of the songs, introducing the emotional state of the character before singing it, like Sting does:

Act I

"Rocks And Water" - Stella - MK COULD SING THIS ONE, AS THERE IS A VERSION RECORDED IN WHICH IS MAC WHO SINGS IT
    "That'd Do Me" - Company

Act II

"Get A Move On"- Company
    "Game Over" - Stella
    "Going Home"

I think it could make a good live performance, involving MK, that can be recorded and release it on dvd/BR, same way that Sting did with his Last Ship one.

Yes, it would be something truly amazing, that would have in just one show the magic of the musical itself and the magic of MK and his band playing and singing for the fans!

Exactly! I'd go to the end of the world to see it.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2022, 12:28:16 PM »
His last album flopped so there won't be any BR/DVD releases from MK anytime soon.
Why do you think they have started (re)releasing the older stuff on a regular basis?
The only product that MK can now sell is his older stuff.
This could be good news because without touring income he'll "need" to bring in some "new" money so we might actually get some deluxe editions.
MK is like supporting a team doomed to relegation-it's the hope that kills you.

Any evidence that the ;ast album "flopped"?

Sorry, but that website does not look legit. It says the Local Hero OST has only sold 60k for a start which is nonsense.

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2022, 12:35:26 PM »

If a sale is represented by someone purchasing a CD or some other physical thing, then it's not surprising at all. I already said it, but I think in the distant future music will be transferred straight to the brain, or you could by a 3D hologram version of the artists to play in your house, but these guys will still measure sales in CDs.

Very few people buy physical copies of music anymore, just collectors/musos. I don't know any "normal" people who still buy physical copies so it's not surprising that DTRW didn't sell 60k physical copies in the UK, but that doesn't mean it flopped.

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2022, 12:36:43 PM »

Act I

"That'd Do Me" - Company

Act II

"Get A Move On"- Company
    "Game Over" - Stella
    "Going Home"

Exactly! I'd go to the end of the world to see it.

Chichester is more or less one hour from Gatwick airport, there is always a chance that MK attends in the audience the first dates, and is a small theater ;)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2022, 01:03:00 PM »
It's true. I think about it intensely:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejabbathehut

• Camerado
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2022, 02:25:50 PM »
Didn't they give free copies of the album with concert tickets.?Vaguely seem to remember.Either way the money is in concerts not album sales any more.I hope when the time comes they don't go down the dynamic ticket pricing route.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2022, 10:02:26 AM »
Didn't they give free copies of the album with concert tickets.?Vaguely seem to remember.Either way the money is in concerts not album sales any more.I hope when the time comes they don't go down the dynamic ticket pricing route.

I believe dynamic tickets have been a thing in musical theatre for a long time, Book of Mormon started it I think.

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2022, 08:51:17 AM »
Following some twitter accounts from the Chichester theatre people and involved with LH (like Paul Constable, Paul Arditti and many more), I saw multiple references to a theater in London called "Bridge theatre", located near the famous London bridge and the tower bridge, with a capacity of 900 people.

Looks like a very likely location for Local Hero giving that connections, and that the capacity is more than the Lyceum in Edinburgh (658) and some less than the Old Vic (1.067).

Actually, I would like that it could be that one, that's an area of London I like very very much!

I still think, as they told that by phone when they called to cancel the LH tickets, that the Old Vic could be the place again, but the Bridge Theatre looks more atractive.

Actually, at the Bridge theater, there is a play running from February to September 3rd of 2023, so it won't be possible until september next year!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 09:04:39 AM by jbaent »

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2022, 09:16:41 AM »
Following some twitter accounts from the Chichester theatre people and involved with LH (like Paul Constable, Paul Arditti and many more), I saw multiple references to a theater in London called "Bridge theatre", located near the famous London bridge and the tower bridge, with a capacity of 900 people.

Looks like a very likely location for Local Hero giving that connections, and that the capacity is more than the Lyceum in Edinburgh (658) and some less than the Old Vic (1.067).

Actually, I would like that it could be that one, that's an area of London I like very very much!

I still think, as they told that by phone when they called to cancel the LH tickets, that the Old Vic could be the place again, but the Bridge Theatre looks more atractive.

Actually, at the Bridge theater, there is a play running from February to September 3rd of 2023, so it won't be possible until september next year!

Thanks very much.
That sounds really interesting.
Beautiful location, beautiful bar, modern theatre!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 09:20:13 AM by skydiver »

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2022, 05:54:34 PM »
It’s Guys and Dolls programmed for that long run. As one of the very best of the classic musicals, it probably will justify that length. But it’s nothing to do with Mr Fletcher!

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2022, 11:51:35 AM »

Very few people buy physical copies of music anymore, just collectors/musos. I don't know any "normal" people who still buy physical copies so it's not surprising that DTRW didn't sell 60k physical copies in the UK, but that doesn't mean it flopped.

I guess I am not a normal person then ;) I always buy the CD's
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 38 queries.