Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Tremors in MK's right hand  (Read 7172 times)

OfflineSultan70

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Tremors in MK's right hand
« on: February 01, 2024, 02:34:16 PM »
After watching the minute from 15:00 to 16:00, when he tries to play and shortly thereafter,
tremors in his right hand are clear. I am deeply shocked, He can't perform at all, not even seconds.

I have researched and this could be 'Parkinson' or 'Essential Tremor'.
It's likely Essential Tremor which is lighter and is usually felt more when moving the hand,
infact he doesn't seem to have tremors when the hand is resting.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Tremors in MK's right hand
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 03:00:44 PM »
I watched the video and personally didn't notice anything untoward. But I'm not a doctor.

Unless you are also a doctor or qualified to comment on it I'm not sure that there is any point to speculate.

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 03:03:50 PM »
I had write about it months ago.
Is something that suspected, but i noticed that was from real since the Tracker tour.

Larry Carlton suffer from a similar thing.

Its sad.

OfflineSultan70

• Guitar George
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 03:06:38 PM »
I watched the video and personally didn't notice anything untoward. But I'm not a doctor.

Unless you are also a doctor or qualified to comment on it I'm not sure that there is any point to speculate.

You have to watch that minute when he tries to play, not the whole video, because in the Essential Tremor disease tremors occur only when moving, not when resting.  In that minute several tremors in the right hand are absolutely clear unfortunately.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 03:08:48 PM »

You have to watch that minute when he tries to play, not the whole video, because in the Essential Tremor disease tremors occur only when moving, not when resting.  In that minute several tremors in the right hand are absolutely clear unfortunately.

But he still plays the notes.

OfflineSultan70

• Guitar George
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 03:43:00 PM »

Are you joking or what ? The hand is trembling so much that he had to change position to the super basic thumb strumming, and even the super basic position didn't go well, he is severely injured

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 03:44:39 PM »

I wonder why Mark even went through the trouble of reaching for a guitar in this very non-guitar-playing interview only to play 4 notes, which not only everybody in the audience know by heart, but you can easily sing/mumble as well rather than play it on the "wrong" guitar, knowing it's difficult for you to play. Truly, Mark works in mysterious ways sometimes.

OfflineSultan70

• Guitar George
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 03:49:21 PM »

I wonder why Mark even went through the trouble of reaching for a guitar in this very non-guitar-playing interview only to play 4 notes, which not only everybody in the audience know by heart, but you can easily sing/mumble as well rather than play it on the "wrong" guitar, knowing it's difficult for you to play. Truly, Mark works in mysterious ways sometimes.

Yes I wondered that too, I guess he wanted to show his trembling hand

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2024, 03:58:33 PM »

I wondered this myself, then thought perhaps the idea was to play some more snippets and he was suddenly put off by what happened.  Who knows.

Speculation sure isn't good but sadly something doesn't seem right.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 04:00:47 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2024, 05:26:02 PM »
Everybody who says there's nothing wrong with him is kidding himself. We've all seen the decline for years. After the 2003 crash, it was never the same again, but unfortunately, there's not a thing anybody can do about it. I think the 2005 tour was still on guitar hero level, but you can't deny guitar-heavy songs like Sultans and TR being significantly sloppier from the 2008 tour and onwards. One of Mark's strengths is accepting and adjusting to circumstances. Setlist controversy and comfort-zone discussion aside, he's made most of the remaining touring years since then.

Of course, most players get worse as they age and the years go by. However, the difference between 2015 and 2019 was night and day. Though I enjoyed the last tour, it was clear from the first night that it would be the final run. It really breaks my heart to see him struggle to play four notes that he's played hundreds of times. I strongly believe we won't see him doing any promo, let alone gigs. We should be glad with the tours he's given us, and visiting Christie's in London was a wonderful surprise, even providing some closure for me.

Edit: I hope I didn't give the impression that I want to speculate about health details. Quite the opposite, I'm not interested in that, and it's also not anyone's business. I just wanted to point out that it's obvious why he won't play anymore, and it might very well be also one of the reasons to sell so many guitars.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 11:29:11 PM by TheTimeWasWrong »

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2024, 06:47:31 PM »
We can ask Guy about this but i'm sure he will say everything is fine. No worries.

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2024, 06:50:31 PM »
MK has sold a lot of his guitars, and he has made clear (more or less) that touring is over. To me, these are signs for the obvious. I don't know, I  don't have a good feeling with a thread like this. What is to prove here? It is not a secret or something the world expects an explanation for. It is his own personal stuff. I get it that the idea of being handed a guitar for only four notes seems somewhat strange. But as I said, it doesn't feel very good to analyse every single move of him just to check if he is healthy or not. Obviously he doesn't want to tell us, so we should respect that. Maybe on a Monday he has something to say...

LE

I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2024, 07:00:14 PM »
Maybe on a Monday he has something to say...

And now the rumours are flying
Speculation rife

I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2024, 07:15:05 PM »
Doctor, Parkinsons?

Right, that was naughty, I'm out.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2024, 07:50:16 PM »
Doctor, Parkinsons?

Right, that was naughty, I'm out.

He-he.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 38 queries.