Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert #55:2010.06.19, Arena, Leipzig, Germany  (Read 40386 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Concert #55:2010.06.19, Arena, Leipzig, Germany
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2010, 11:19:28 AM »
I think all this stems from disappointment really.

Who here can honsetly say that if it was up to us to choose one song to add to the set, even one that had been played live before, that we would have chosen Fish and the Bird?

I bet nobody.

So a lot of us are disappointed. It's not really a favourite of mine but I thought it sounded OK on the KTGC tour. I'm glad it wasn't played in the one show I attended however.

I also share the concern that the set is now being moulded around the two "folkies". I don't have a problem with them being on the tour, but their role should be to complement MK, not the other way around.

A question, what guitar does Richard play on Fish and Bird? Last year it was teh famous red Schecter but I assume they didn't bring it this time?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2010, 11:39:14 AM »
I also share the concern that the set is now being moulded around the two "folkies". I don't have a problem with them being on the tour, but their role should be to complement MK, not the other way around.

I don't know how to express this correctly at right level in a foreign language but I fully understand that. I mean Mark has a bunch of wonderful musician on stage and I was glad that Mike was staying for the whole tour. But on the other hand I did somewhat feel a bit of what I call the "OES over crowded stage syndroma" : I mean instead of enjoying Mark playing straigh for 2 hours this turns out to become "enjoying attending Mark enjoying himself share and let a lot of playing to others".
Hopefully we are not treated with a never ending 10 minutes plus drum solo by Mr Horsepower...so not a big deal on this matter.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2010, 11:43:02 AM »
I don't know how to express this correctly at right level in a foreign language but I fully understand that. I mean Mark has a bunch of wonderful musician on stage and I was glad that Mike was staying for the whole tour. But on the other hand I did somewhat feel a bit of what I call the "OES over crowded stage syndroma" : I mean instead of enjoying Mark playing straigh for 2 hours this turns out to become "enjoying attending Mark enjoying himself share and let a lot of playing to others".
Hopefully we are not treated with a never ending 10 minutes plus drum solo by Mr Horsepower...so not a big deal on this matter.

Yeah, but MK's a pensioner now and can't play so intensely so I don't really mind other people taking solos to take the heat of him. My concern is that the set itself is shaped to accomodate his backing musicians, they should in fact be accomodating the set. If there's no place for Mike on, say, You Don't Know You're Born then don't dump the song, just tell Mike to go take a piss and come back for the next song.

Offlinejimbobaby

• Local Hero
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2010, 12:22:32 PM »
Danny - thanks for your support mate ;D

Dusty - I agree with you - the folkies have added a lot, but in the process have taken a little away.  I do like the overall sound of this band thgough, setlist notwithstanding.

The debate about die-hards versus old DS fans in attendance is an interesting one.   I'm not actually convinced that the argument that the audience is made up largely of people who want to hear the DS songs is as true as it might have been say two tours ago.  DS are a long time dead now and MK is a recognised solo artist albeit with a reduced fan base.  He's given up all the "voice and guitar of DS" stickers on CDs now.  I can understand why MK feels he has to/wants to play the DS stuff (milestones in peoples' lives etc)  but I think he could now get away with just playing SOS, R&J and BIA as the core "classics" (even R&J is dispensable in my book now but obviously not in Mark's cos he's played in in every gig since he wrote it!).  He broke that mould when he dropped MFN.  I can't see why he feels the need to trot out TR now, much as I love it unless he just enjoys it or feel it fits this band.  It does take up a big chunk of time ands SFA is nice but throwaway.  I actually think he might lose a few regulars after this tour unless there is a bit of a change of direction on the next one.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2010, 01:04:39 PM »
he really seems to enjoy playing SoS and Romeo and stuff, so i guess they are simply not "overplayed" enough in his opinion.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejimbobaby

• Local Hero
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2010, 01:33:10 PM »
I could (and do!!) listen to SOS virtually every day of my life so If I'm not bored with it.... ;D  R&J though.  That's just a bit harder.... ::)

Offlinejimbobaby

• Local Hero
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2010, 01:45:23 PM »

Yeah, but MK's a pensioner now and can't play so intensely so I don't really mind other people taking solos to take the heat of him. My concern is that the set itself is shaped to accomodate his backing musicians, they should in fact be accomodating the set. If there's no place for Mike on, say, You Don't Know You're Born then don't dump the song, just tell Mike to go take a piss and come back for the next song.
[/quote]

Hey Dusty, there's a thought - "you don't know you're born" - another pretty obscure album track that I bet would sound fabulous live if given the "coyote " treatment.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2010, 02:03:03 PM »
Hey Dusty, there's a thought - "you don't know you're born" - another pretty obscure album track that I bet would sound fabulous live if given the "coyote " treatment.

Yup, one of my favourites and now one of the few tracks from Ragpickers that hasn't been played live! But no chance of it being played as there isn't a Uilean pipes part in it.  :-\

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2010, 02:51:28 PM »

Yup, one of my favourites and now one of the few tracks from Ragpickers that hasn't been played live! But no chance of it being played as there isn't a Uilean pipes part in it.  :-\

Oh, I'm sure Mike could play over the guitar outro on it and spoil it all for us! ;D
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2010, 02:59:05 PM »
Actually, I wonder why Mike didn't play the uilleann pipes in BIA. Would have been a nice addition / change for Matt's accordion.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2010, 02:59:30 PM »

[/quote]

I bet that one will be the one from TRD album that will make the next tour (and justify that I will attend several MK nights again).
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2010, 03:30:36 PM »
I know, Pottel, but I am talking about the ones that has not been to the concert and goes on and on about the setlist...

Presumably that remark was aimed at me. Two things:

1.  If you actually read my posts properly you will see that I have been quite balanced in my views about the setlist.  In my "reflections from someone who wasn't there" post you will see that I said that the setlist has a decent flow and complemented the playing and excellent versions on some songs that don't work on the album.  I am loving my symfy recordings.  But only a fool would suggest that this setlist is fresh. A number of people who have reviewed the concerts very positively have mentioned a tinge of regret that, whilst brilliant, what they have seen has, by and large, been a repeat of what we have seen many times before.

2.  I fail to understand how the fact that I wasn't there disqualifies me from having an opinion.  I have heard 6 of the shows from this tour in their entirety nad have been at more MK shows than I care to remember.  I know exactly what it will have been like.  The fact that the setlist was a factor in my non-attendance makes my opinion very valid thank you very much.

Oh, and a third thing - plenty of people who did go are making comments about the setlist!
No, it was not aimed at you in particular, and, hey, I'm just expressing my feelings here. Just as you all are. I don't think there should be anything wrong with that. Nothing wrong with criticizing the setlists either. I just found the posts boring. And I said so. But you are not writing to please me, so go on writing what you want. Nothing personal. And I'm still here, so it can't be that bad ;)

By the way, I like the new direction of this thread, and I agree with most of you. Of course I would't choose The Fish And The Bird or Done With Napoleon if it was up to me. Of course I want to hear TOL or at least The Man's Too Strong instead. And I agree with those who mean that the members of the band has a to big influence on the set. "You Don't Know You're Born" is a great song which deserves to be played live. On the other hand, when I attended the concert in Oslo, I couldn't have cared less about what he was playing. It was all pure joy. And the sound was brilliant from the first note.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2010, 03:56:23 PM »
Just listened to the Simfy recording of Fish and the Bird from Leipzig, very nice version, I enjoyed it. :)

But I would have enjoyed You Don't Know You're Born more. ;)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2010, 04:16:52 PM »

Yup !! It's similar to Coyote but only nicer. I didn't like Coyote before, but now I love the live version. So YDKYRB should be fab...

Offlinejimbobaby

• Local Hero
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2010, 06:19:11 PM »
No, it was not aimed at you in particular, and, hey, I'm just expressing my feelings here. Just as you all are. I don't think there should be anything wrong with that. Nothing wrong with criticizing the setlists either. I just found the posts boring. And I said so. But you are not writing to please me, so go on writing what you want. Nothing personal. And I'm still here, so it can't be that bad ;)

By the way, I like the new direction of this thread, and I agree with most of you. Of course I would't choose The Fish And The Bird or Done With Napoleon if it was up to me. Of course I want to hear TOL or at least The Man's Too Strong instead. And I agree with those who mean that the members of the band has a to big influence on the set. "You Don't Know You're Born" is a great song which deserves to be played live. On the other hand, when I attended the concert in Oslo, I couldn't have cared less about what he was playing. It was all pure joy. And the sound was brilliant from the first note.
[/quote]

Hey MossG  No hard feelings mate.  Just a bit of banter.  ;D ::)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 39 queries.