Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350724 times)

OfflineDS

• Local Hero
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #765 on: March 16, 2018, 12:43:14 PM »
I had to do a really big effort to recall one single SOS since 2005 that I thought it was good. I can recall some that I thought they were ok, but good... or excellent... since the STP tour... such a big effort that my head starts to ache.

Plot twist: he's doing it on purpose so that fans stop asking for it
Tracker - Lucca 2015
DTRW - Lucca 2019

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #766 on: March 16, 2018, 01:02:02 PM »
MK is a very strange person, which is quite normal for a genius but in this particular case has cons.

Guy Fletcher once 'officially' reported in his forum about 8-10 years ago that MK had considered an official DVD live at the Royal Albert Hall
but the idea was dropped because RAH fees were too high. Can you believe it ? Musical decisions taken solely on money and MK has not enough money to pay the RAH ? its the same guy who paid a dentist in 1990 with bags full of coins because he thought the price was too high
and the whole London laughed, I clearly remember the articles of the time.

Yet he seems a nice person overall, but from certain angles he is very strange, no doubt.
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Love Expresso

« Reply #767 on: March 16, 2018, 01:13:41 PM »
I had to do a really big effort to recall one single SOS since 2005 that I thought it was good. I can recall some that I thought they were ok, but good... or excellent... since the STP tour... such a big effort that my head starts to ache.

Now that you made me thinking about it, I remember some very good versions of Sultans from the 2008 tour. Some were pretty weak but some almost flawless.. Hamburg 2008 is really great and among my all time favourite Sultans... and Danny had it absolutely... his drums and MK's guitar almost appeared as one soul... indeed 2013 hardly not one single Sultans without mistakes,  greenies, missed lyrics and so on.. to be fair, Milan 2013 was very very good and had some lovely notes in it that I very often return to.

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #768 on: March 16, 2018, 01:17:12 PM »
MK is a very strange person, which is quite normal for a genius but in this particular case has cons.

Guy Fletcher once 'officially' reported in his forum about 8-10 years ago that MK had considered an official DVD live at the Royal Albert Hall
but the idea was dropped because RAH fees were too high. Can you believe it ? Musical decisions taken solely on money and MK has not enough money to pay the RAH ? its the same guy who paid a dentist in 1990 with bags full of coins because he thought the price was too high
and the whole London laughed, I clearly remember the articles of the time.

Yet he seems a nice person overall, but from certain angles he is very strange, no doubt.

I remember the dentist saga, but, if I recall, he had a particular tooth crowned more than once and each time it had failed, so he paid with coins!    I think MK was going through a difficult time in his life at that time - divorce, break up of the band, etc!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 01:19:24 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #769 on: March 16, 2018, 01:22:06 PM »

Now that you made me thinking about it, I remember some very good versions of Sultans from the 2008 tour. Some were pretty weak but some almost flawless.. Hamburg 2008 is really great and among my all time favourite Sultans... and Danny had it absolutely... his drums and MK's guitar almost appeared as one soul... indeed 2013 hardly not one single Sultans without mistakes,  greenies, missed lyrics and so on.. to be fair, Milan 2013 was very very good and had some lovely notes in it that I very often return to.

LE

I remember that Locarno 2010 was a favourite of yours, LE.   How did you rate Sultans from that concert?
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #770 on: March 16, 2018, 01:26:48 PM »
Very good also. But 2010 they changed the beginning and the count-in. That Locarno recording had Richard very loud in the mix which I love very much. They shortened the play-out and made it not so pompous like Alchemy for example, but I am not sure when they did that for the first time, 2005 or 2008..

2010 had many great Sultans, too, without no doubt

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #771 on: March 16, 2018, 01:30:45 PM »
Very good also. But 2010 they changed the beginning and the count-in. That Locarno recording had Richard very loud in the mix which I love very much. They shortened the play-out and made it not so pompous like Alchemy for example, but I am not sure when they did that for the first time, 2005 or 2008..

LE

Yes, all four of the ones I heard in 2010 were great, in fact 2010 is my favourite tour, even though MK sat on a stool!   I still listen to those concerts with pleasure.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #772 on: March 16, 2018, 02:03:21 PM »

LE

Yes, all four of the ones I heard in 2010 were great, in fact 2010 is my favourite tour, even though MK sat on a stool!   I still listen to those concerts with pleasure.   :)

I totally agree. I have also in the car a cd with the mp3 of Madrid 2010 that oficially released, as a gift, in the Privateering deluxe box and it's so unbelievable good...

That was a great tour, really, in musical terms. I miss Danny a lot. I don't recall that Sultans as special but ok.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #773 on: March 16, 2018, 02:20:11 PM »
It’s unfortunate, because a lot of the time there’s actually some enlightening conversation on here. Then there’s other times when it seems like a MK hater’s society.

You know what's so funny? I once liked and loved this place because exactly the same reason as you, the enlightening discussions and friendly people and stuff. But over the last couple of years more and more often people come up like you or Liz always critizing not MK but almost everything anyone said.. really, some of you appear like PC police or MK's lawyer, or better his Mother... it really spoils this place for me since months...  wrong understood political correctness and a not healthy  form of discussion culture and insane gender opinions ("...you guys") add to a new atmosphere of totally unrelaxed discussion form. I once said it, if you don't like the discussion level, come by and add something precious instead critizising others for their posts.

Discussion needs effort. Everything else is just talking.

Had to get this off my chest. Go on now and kill me.

LE

:clap :clap

I won't kill you - I could kiss you!  I've been wanting to say this for ages.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineDon70

• Banned
  • Guitar George
« Reply #774 on: March 16, 2018, 02:28:59 PM »
Good Lord, the level of negativity on this site is really quite staggering. It's just never-ending. Setlists, flutes and pipes, guitar playing, RRHOF, length of time recording etc. It just goes on and on and on....

With all respect, but we already know you think this forum is very negative...There is no need for you to come here once in a while and say precisely that.

There are other forums where all are flowers and lollipops... spend your time in those and be happy...

I call you on your continual negativity and you ask me leave ... typical.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #775 on: March 16, 2018, 03:24:14 PM »

One for the inductionvideo!!!  :clap :clap :clap

Not the video, but the song ofcourse

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #776 on: March 16, 2018, 03:57:52 PM »
Awsome recording. Which show is this from?
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #777 on: March 16, 2018, 04:17:57 PM »
Awsome recording. Which show is this from?

I have no idea. DS at their best indeed. I think it is from a bootleg during the BIA tour in the USA.
http://www.oneverybootleg.nl/straits.htm

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #778 on: March 16, 2018, 07:50:38 PM »
It’s unfortunate, because a lot of the time there’s actually some enlightening conversation on here. Then there’s other times when it seems like a MK hater’s society.

You know what's so funny? I once liked and loved this place because exactly the same reason as you, the enlightening discussions and friendly people and stuff. But over the last couple of years more and more often people come up like you or Liz always critizing not MK but almost everything anyone said.. really, some of you appear like PC police or MK's lawyer, or better his Mother... it really spoils this place for me since months...  wrong understood political correctness and a not healthy  form of discussion culture and insane gender opinions ("...you guys") add to a new atmosphere of totally unrelaxed discussion form. I once said it, if you don't like the discussion level, come by and add something precious instead critizising others for their posts.

LE
LE:
My reference to "...you guys" was not intended to be gender-specific.  (English doesn’t have a plural “you”; in the US, people have adopted ‘you all’ or ‘you guys’).  You made the assumption that this was a gender attack – which it wasn’t.  I could assume that your reference to MK’s “Mother” was meant to be a (non-existent) return gender attack, but I just don’t care…

Many people have posted their dissatisfaction with AMIT over the past couple of years; about the ‘whiners’, the PC police, the negativity (i.e. “MK hater’s society’), the flowery fans, etc.  There has also been a lot of complaining about the complaining.  I feel that AMIT is becoming a hostile environment; new members are often ridiculed, sarcasm has become caustic, and personal attacks are rampant.  I prefer a more friendly environment, and hope that AMIT becomes this once again.   (Also, some may mistake my ‘friendlier’ with ‘politically correct’, or think I am trying to limit discussion.  However, I am absolutely in favor of a healthy discussion, and I don’t ask anyone to be PC.)  In other words, I am not asking for people to agree, but I do appreciate a healthy environment.  And if my presence here spoils this place for you, I understand you can block my posts.

Also, my name is Lis – not Liz.     
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #779 on: March 16, 2018, 07:58:58 PM »

LE
LE:
My reference to "...you guys" was not intended to be gender-specific.  (English doesn’t have a plural “you”; in the US, people have adopted ‘you all’ or ‘you guys’).  You made the assumption that this was a gender attack – which it wasn’t.  I could assume that your reference to MK’s “Mother” was meant to be a (non-existent) return gender attack, but I just don’t care…

Many people have posted their dissatisfaction with AMIT over the past couple of years; about the ‘whiners’, the PC police, the negativity (i.e. “MK hater’s society’), the flowery fans, etc.  There has also been a lot of complaining about the complaining.  I feel that AMIT is becoming a hostile environment; new members are often ridiculed, sarcasm has become caustic, and personal attacks are rampant.  I prefer a more friendly environment, and hope that AMIT becomes this once again.   (Also, some may mistake my ‘friendlier’ with ‘politically correct’, or think I am trying to limit discussion.  However, I am absolutely in favor of a healthy discussion, and I don’t ask anyone to be PC.)  In other words, I am not asking for people to agree, but I do appreciate a healthy environment.  And if my presence here spoils this place for you, I understand you can block my posts.

Also, my name is Lis – not Liz.     

Well said, Lis! 
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 43 queries.