Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: "More music coming your way"  (Read 49826 times)

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: "More music coming your way"
« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2020, 04:22:26 PM »
Gilmour famously recorded the solo for Another Brick In The Wall straight into the desk, so isn't necessarily hung up on amps.

Just saying.  ;)

I think there are so many stories like that. You can be a die-hard valve warm tape analogue sound and gear fanatic, but at some point time will come to either try something different or do something else because your beloved stuff is not necessary or not available. It’s like Keith Jarrett famous concerto on a shitty piano, it’s like who cares? Personally I hate gear talk, and I truly believe the future is in the zeros and ones.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2020, 04:29:43 PM »
Gilmour famously recorded the solo for Another Brick In The Wall straight into the desk, so isn't necessarily hung up on amps.

Just saying.  ;)

that sound is fantastic, it's not a dry sound
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 06:13:31 PM by PensaGhost »
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #107 on: November 27, 2020, 05:36:13 PM »

Just saying.  ;)

yes but to be accurate, the signal recorded was then re-amplified through an amplifier after the recording
so the tone you hear on the album is not the dry sound from the desk

from gilmourish.com : "clean signal heavily gated/compressed into the mixing desk, then fed through a Mesa/Boogie amp and back into the mixing desk"

the guitars on "Revolution", both by John are George are only through the mixing desk. no amp, no effect.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #108 on: November 27, 2020, 06:11:18 PM »

Just saying.  ;)

yes but to be accurate, the signal recorded was then re-amplified through an amplifier after the recording
so the tone you hear on the album is not the dry sound from the desk

from gilmourish.com : "clean signal heavily gated/compressed into the mixing desk, then fed through a Mesa/Boogie amp and back into the mixing desk"

the guitars on "Revolution", both by John are George are only through the mixing desk. no amp, no effect.

exactly, it's not a dry sound, it's one of the best engineered sound ever, nothing to do with a kemper
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

hunter

« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2020, 07:55:42 PM »
A Kemper on tour makes sense for practical and logistic reasons, and since 98% percent of the audience don't notice the difference, there is good reason to use Kempers. (I heard the difference and didn't like it at all.)

In a multi-million dollar studio, which Mark happens to own, plus his access to a huge selection of vintage and boutique amps, there is no reason why he would use a Kemper there.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2020, 08:28:57 PM »
A Kemper on tour makes sense for practical and logistic reasons, and since 98% percent of the audience don't notice the difference, there is good reason to use Kempers. (I heard the difference and didn't like it at all.)

In a multi-million dollar studio, which Mark happens to own, plus his access to a huge selection of vintage and boutique amps, there is no reason why he would use a Kemper there.

Belive it or not, I also hear the difference, but only if I'm actively looking for it. The live music industry really changes the music world in that regard. From the need of using some king of amplification to modern keyboards and amp emulators, it changes a lot. I think Mark's techs were the happiest people on tour, one big thing less to worry about, and getting a consistent sound each night is really worth it in my opinion. By the way, speaking of modeling amps, here's a brand new one for just little over 200 bucks (TWO HUNDRED BUCKS): https://www.positivegrid.com/spark/

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2020, 08:30:49 PM »

practical and logistic reasons ? really ? does he carry the amps himself ?

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2020, 08:49:54 PM »

This is like Apple claiming that they will save the world by making iPhone boxes 2 times smaller lol. Seems not legit, but in the long run not bringing amps makes a huge difference — less time to set up, less space taken in trucks, less work for personnel, fewer things to break, incredible consistency night after night, overall it offers huge benefits over the fact that a few nerds will be utterly disappointed by the actual sound. Mark is an old-school guy, who I'm sure can spot Kemper sound from 100 kilometres away, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a cool and modern solution which saved him and his staff a lot of money and nerves. This is not a decision that an artist like this could make without fully realising all the consequences it will make.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2020, 09:01:12 PM »
I'm sorry for bringing the iPhone analogy again, but the reason they threw chargers and headphones out of the box was because they wanted to save some money. But why? Because they put the most advanced and expensive 5G chip in their phones, which costs a lot. So they decided, okay, we can put this chip in, but at the expense of less stuff in the box, and will not charge more for the product itself. In the meantime, Android phones with advanced 5G chips gain in their prices.

It could be the case with the whole Knopfler / Kemper situation. Because now they can cut some money on this department, they can bring more people on tour, they can afford more days off, which is not the cheapest thing in the world I imagine. So they decided to cut the corners where it's possible to make the tour happen, that's my little theory. Stop thinking that Mark is a king of the world who can afford everything, he goes on tour to make some money, too.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 09:04:10 PM by quizzaciously »

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2020, 09:24:39 PM »

...if only I had taken the Kemper for that tour I would never have injured my back. Strupid me!

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2020, 09:33:51 PM »
Check out Richard Bennetts last facebook post. Sweetest thing I've seen today  :D ;D

https://www.facebook.com/ModerneShellac/posts/10159195578562847

lol funny indeed

This picture, strangely enough, makes me happy and sad at the same time. Happy for obvious reasons, and sad because the creative process of MK has become so predictive and so straightforward, that you can start making memes out of it. You know the place, you know all the usual suspects, you know all basically. I don't know any artists like that. This is the most 'living in the comfort zone' behaviour as it gets. I really hope for some really fresh ideas on the new album!

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2020, 10:27:20 PM »
Check out Richard Bennetts last facebook post. Sweetest thing I've seen today  :D ;D

lol funny indeed

This picture, strangely enough, makes me happy and sad at the same time. Happy for obvious reasons, and sad because the creative process of MK has become so predictive and so straightforward, that you can start making memes out of it. You know the place, you know all the usual suspects, you know all basically. I don't know any artists like that. This is the most 'living in the comfort zone' behaviour as it gets. I really hope for some really fresh ideas on the new album!

My only wish is that Guy doesn’t mix the record. I love his sounds and his role as producer, but his mixing skills are nowhere near Chuck’s.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2020, 11:53:50 PM »

lol funny indeed

My only wish is that Guy doesn’t mix the record. I love his sounds and his role as producer, but his mixing skills are nowhere near Chuck’s.

Me too, I've had quite a rant about mixing of the latest album, but surely knowing Mark there's more chances of him straight up giving some co-writing credits to Guy, rather than downgrading his expertise. Maybe he just thinks that he'll be as great as Chuck one day and keep him on that position. Guy, as it seems, feels like he's the best mixing engineer out there and that Tracker and Down The Road is supposedly the holy grail in terms of mixing, constantly brags about no EQ used, all that usual GF stuff what I'm completely tired about. All that bragging comes with some silver lining to me.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2020, 10:11:11 AM »

I didn't know they were using a Kemper and I noticed that the guitar sound had more distortion than usual, even when playing with the Strat that usually sounded clean, not it was more "dirty", I thought it was just MK wanted to add more distortion to the sound to hide mistakes, but it ended being just a Kemper...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2020, 10:13:22 AM »
I actually like Guy mix on Tracker, was so damm great to feel that the drums were in your room when listening to it... DTRW was nice but not as nice as Tracker.

I didn't like Chuck mixes, they sound too dry for me.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 39 queries.