Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: "More music coming your way"  (Read 49842 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: "More music coming your way"
« Reply #150 on: November 29, 2020, 06:18:12 PM »
Right, you were warned, thread locked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #151 on: November 30, 2020, 10:22:11 AM »
Right, edited and reopened.

A reminder, you can say what you like about MK and his tech, but no attacks on fellow AMIT members please.  :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #152 on: November 30, 2020, 10:27:53 AM »
if you are an amateur musician I am sure the kemper can sound to your ears exactly like the real thing,
just like when you play a MK solo with your guitar and you think it's 100% perfect while there are 100000 errors

even Guy Fletcher and Marcus Cliffe (the guy who originally showed the kemper to MK) wrote several times
it does NOT sound like the real thing

Since now we know that a Kemper was used on DTRW, tell us then on which tracks they used a Kemper.

I asked myself to Guy in which tracks the kemper were used.

I agree with who said that in a record is more difficult to know that live, as in a record I can't say really which guitar is used on this or that track unless it's too evident like in, let's say Beryl, so for me it's impossible to say which amp they used, but live, I noticed inmediatly that they were using something different because it wasn't sounding clean as in previous tours.

By the way, this Kemper discussion, is not related to the topic of this thread at all, and there is a topic about the Kemper here:

https://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=7499.0

Regarding the topic, I'm waiting any news about MK and Guy in the studio, they coming back to recording songs would be the best news in this horrible year.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #153 on: November 30, 2020, 10:31:46 AM »
Mark must have lots of new songs written, not to mention previous ones not recorded, so I am really looking forward to the new album, maybe he could release his 2nd double album.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #154 on: November 30, 2020, 10:33:07 AM »
Mark must have lots of new songs written, not to mention previous ones not recorded, so I am really looking forward to the new album, maybe he could release his 2nd double album.

I reckon Mark had an awful lot of time to write songs in the lockdown, so I'm sure it will be a great one. He wrote Shangri-La while in his personal lockdown, and it's easily the most consistent album songwriting-wise, each track is a masterpiece, including drummerless ones.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2020, 10:41:03 AM »

I reckon Mark had an awful lot of time to write songs in the lockdown, so I'm sure it will be a great one. He wrote Shangri-La while in his personal lockdown, and it's easily the most consistent album songwriting-wise, each track is a masterpiece, including drummerless ones.

With that said, Shangri-La is perfectly recorded and mixed as well. I'm not a fan of Tracker and Down The Road Wherever mixing as jbaent is, but I'm listening Shangri-La album right now and I can say that Mark's latest albums may be recorded technically better, but they lack that polished feel, Chuck just knows how to do it, this amazingly warm polished balanced feel of recording, where you're absolutely sure it can't get any better than this. Guy is less about perfectionism on the overall picture but in details.

hunter

« Reply #156 on: November 30, 2020, 10:42:49 AM »
One thing is for certain, Mark has never and will never make a bad album. Some are better than others, obviously, and some are growers, but the quality is always high.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #157 on: November 30, 2020, 11:27:26 AM »

With that said, Shangri-La is perfectly recorded and mixed as well. I'm not a fan of Tracker and Down The Road Wherever mixing as jbaent is, but I'm listening Shangri-La album right now and I can say that Mark's latest albums may be recorded technically better, but they lack that polished feel, Chuck just knows how to do it, this amazingly warm polished balanced feel of recording, where you're absolutely sure it can't get any better than this. Guy is less about perfectionism on the overall picture but in details.

The interesting thing about a polished album. The original Tubular Bells is full or mistakes, in the recording, the playing, the tempo, the instrument tuning, but it is a masterpiece, however, these things always bothered Mike Oldfield, it was a consequence of Mike not really having the time to record the music properly. In 2003 he re-recorded the whole album perfectly, to me it sound great, but he himself acknowledged that it didn't so as well as the original, and what gave the original it's greatness was all the issues it has. So for his latest album, he left  in slight errors, although there are very few noticeable to my ears, if any. The point is, I think there is a lot of focus in modern music making on perfection, and there shouldn't be.

One thing is for certain, Mark has never and will never make a bad album. Some are better than others, obviously, and some are growers, but the quality is always high.

Agreed, Mark has never made a bad solo or Dire Straits album.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #158 on: November 30, 2020, 11:37:15 AM »

I agree. I'm quite curious to see what he does!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #159 on: November 30, 2020, 10:30:45 PM »
Does anyone remember the title of this thread?

Yes, used to be “More opinions coming your way” ;D

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #160 on: November 30, 2020, 11:51:39 PM »

The interesting thing about a polished album. The original Tubular Bells is full or mistakes, in the recording, the playing, the tempo, the instrument tuning, but it is a masterpiece, however, these things always bothered Mike Oldfield, it was a consequence of Mike not really having the time to record the music properly. In 2003 he re-recorded the whole album perfectly, to me it sound great, but he himself acknowledged that it didn't so as well as the original, and what gave the original it's greatness was all the issues it has. So for his latest album, he left  in slight errors, although there are very few noticeable to my ears, if any. The point is, I think there is a lot of focus in modern music making on perfection, and there shouldn't be.

Just wait for the Knopfler Christmas album 😉😂

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #161 on: December 01, 2020, 08:04:17 PM »
Funny, had the same thought today.  ;D
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #162 on: December 01, 2020, 08:48:32 PM »

Just wait for the Knopfler Christmas album 😉😂
With classics such as Rudolph & Juliet, Don't Crash the Sleigh, Sailing to Lapland and Who's Your Santa Now?

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #163 on: December 01, 2020, 09:17:51 PM »
The Ragpicker's Dream is a beautiful and touching Christmas carol. I don't need any other Christmas songs.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Love Expresso

« Reply #164 on: December 01, 2020, 10:01:06 PM »
Very nice post, Robson. And very true.

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 41 queries.