Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: "More music coming your way"  (Read 49785 times)

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
Re: "More music coming your way"
« Reply #165 on: December 02, 2020, 12:04:27 AM »
Thank you Love Expresso.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #166 on: December 02, 2020, 12:22:57 AM »
Mark must have lots of new songs written, not to mention previous ones not recorded, so I am really looking forward to the new album, maybe he could release his 2nd double album.

I reckon Mark had an awful lot of time to write songs in the lockdown, so I'm sure it will be a great one. He wrote Shangri-La while in his personal lockdown, and it's easily the most consistent album songwriting-wise, each track is a masterpiece, including drummerless ones.

With that said, Shangri-La is perfectly recorded and mixed as well. I'm not a fan of Tracker and Down The Road Wherever mixing as jbaent is, but I'm listening Shangri-La album right now and I can say that Mark's latest albums may be recorded technically better, but they lack that polished feel, Chuck just knows how to do it, this amazingly warm polished balanced feel of recording, where you're absolutely sure it can't get any better than this. Guy is less about perfectionism on the overall picture but in details.

The interesting thing about a polished album. The original Tubular Bells is full or mistakes, in the recording, the playing, the tempo, the instrument tuning, but it is a masterpiece, however, these things always bothered Mike Oldfield, it was a consequence of Mike not really having the time to record the music properly. In 2003 he re-recorded the whole album perfectly, to me it sound great, but he himself acknowledged that it didn't so as well as the original, and what gave the original it's greatness was all the issues it has. So for his latest album, he left  in slight errors, although there are very few noticeable to my ears, if any. The point is, I think there is a lot of focus in modern music making on perfection, and there shouldn't be.

One thing is for certain, Mark has never and will never make a bad album. Some are better than others, obviously, and some are growers, but the quality is always high.

Agreed, Mark has never made a bad solo or Dire Straits album.

Just wait for the Knopfler Christmas album 😉😂
With classics such as Rudolph & Juliet, Don't Crash the Sleigh, Sailing to Lapland and Who's Your Santa Now?

Brilliant 😂
 I'd buy it!

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #167 on: December 02, 2020, 10:35:09 AM »
Well, Clapton or Dylan Christmas records were nice, and if MK does one, I'm sure that it would be nice too, but I hope he doesn't any, unless he did songs like "Ragpickers" with christmas taste, instead of christmas songs...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #168 on: December 02, 2020, 01:13:52 PM »
Well, Clapton or Dylan Christmas records were nice, and if MK does one, I'm sure that it would be nice too, but I hope he doesn't any, unless he did songs like "Ragpickers" with christmas taste, instead of christmas songs...

Mark is the kind of guy who even for a duo with Tommy Emmanuel writes a brand new song. I think the album of covers is generally not possible, for Christmas, maybe, a one-off single could be possible or collaboration on another album. No way Mark will do a whole Christmas album, no matter how many times Guy could ask for it :lol

But seriously, Mark seems to really love Christmas time, I think from Richard Bennett interview especially you can think that Mark is really serious about Christmas. I think he treats his own fortunate life as a Christmas present and this story about his show on Christmas Eve when he realised he wanted to be a musician for life, this is magical. And "The Ragpicker's Dream" might be the ultimate and best song he's ever done.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #169 on: December 02, 2020, 01:48:24 PM »

Sorry to be negative (although meant with a slightly humorous grin) but Christmas albums are the things an artist does when he/she has completely run out of ideas. I just cant take them seriously from an artistic perspective. I mean come on, how many times can you record Jingle Bells or Rudolph the red nosed Reindeer and maintain a shred of creative originality!  ;D :lol

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #170 on: December 02, 2020, 02:41:05 PM »
I agree, Mark making a Christmas album is the last thing any of us should want. I doubt he would ever even consider doing one, why would he? It's to limiting for a songwriter of his standard.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #171 on: December 02, 2020, 02:48:28 PM »

Sorry to be negative (although meant with a slightly humorous grin) but Christmas albums are the things an artist does when he/she has completely run out of ideas. I just cant take them seriously from an artistic perspective. I mean come on, how many times can you record Jingle Bells or Rudolph the red nosed Reindeer and maintain a shred of creative originality!  ;D :lol

The Dylan Christmas album is a creative tour de force.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #172 on: December 02, 2020, 03:59:04 PM »

The Dylan Christmas album is a creative tour de force.

I found it quite awkward a listen to be  honest but it was for good causes and in that sense is exempt from criticism. Much of what Dylan did on that was tongue in cheek and it certainly wasn't meant as a bold creative statement.

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2020, 05:46:06 PM »
Knopfler already did Christmas.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #174 on: December 02, 2020, 09:57:06 PM »
Knopfler already did Christmas.

Not forgetting Robbie The Reindeer as well...

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #175 on: December 21, 2020, 08:30:36 AM »
So how Mark is going to make it into the studio when he actually sold his shoes on a charity auction? :hmm

OnlineKris-b

• Camerado
« Reply #176 on: December 21, 2020, 08:56:00 AM »
So how Mark is going to make it into the studio when he actually sold his shoes on a charity auction? :hmm

And doesn’t have a guitar either!

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #177 on: December 21, 2020, 09:32:24 AM »

On a more serious level, the stricter lockdown rules might delay the inital work of MK and GF at BG on the new album.
Hopefully both stay healthy.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #178 on: December 21, 2020, 10:35:59 AM »

On a more serious level, the stricter lockdown rules might delay the inital work of MK and GF at BG on the new album.
Hopefully both stay healthy.

The time just screams for a proper 'solo' album, but I think there's 1% chance of MK doing it, unfortunately. Imagine the album filled with songs like Matchstick Man, Heart Of Oak, etc. Mark had many acoustic versions of his songs which sounds amazing. I have a little collection of his acoustic performances, and all of them, including Romeo & Juliet, was extremely great.

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #179 on: December 21, 2020, 10:58:51 AM »
He would need someone at the helm anyway, at least to push the button and controls...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 37 queries.