Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Favourite Tour Versions?  (Read 8850 times)

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
Re: Favourite Tour Versions?
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2021, 10:21:16 AM »
What comes to my mind right now from Mark's solo tours (at least from those that I frequently listen)  :

Darling pretty : Vaison 1st and 2nd night
Why aye man : London 2002 third night or Newcastle 2010, which is very good too (even if I prefer the non-flute versions). I could enjoy some 2019 versions once in a while (I like the start and the extended violin part at the end).
What it is : Amsterdam 1st or 2nd night in 2005, I can't clearly remember but one has strong guitar solo and solid energy
True love will never fade : LA 2008 or Köln 2009
Junkie Doll : Nimes 2001
Romeo & Juliet : LA 2006
Sultans : Stockholm 96, RAH second night 1996 and Munich 11 april 2005 as a four-piece thing
Bonaparte : LA 2006 (great Stuart Duncan!)
Fade to black : Rio de Janeiro 2000
Everybody pays : La Brasserie 2004
Speedway : for me, the MK-EH DVD version from LA 2006 is unmatched but Indianapolis 2005, Nashville 2005 or Paris 2005 are very good too… or any 2006-2008 version I guess  ;D. I prefer the non-flute rendition for this song too.
Telegraph Road : Paris 2005 or Munich 2005, Nashville same year is very well played too.
Brothers in arms : London 3rd night 2002. Toronto 2001 sounds good as well and Hamburg 1996 too.
Are we in trouble now : RAH second night 1996 or one from the Hillbillies shows at the Shepherd Bush in May 1997 which has an extended solo that goes kinda crescendo. Love it.
The long highway : Vaison 1996 or Copenhagen, both excellent.
Going home : Bolzano 2008 or Vaison 1996
Piper to the end (aah Piper…) : Lucca 2010

And so many more "dream" songs… that will never be played live…  :disbelief
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 12:15:51 PM by NicoMK »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2021, 12:33:20 PM »
BIA from Toronto, Massey Hall 2001 and also RAH 23rd May 1996 were both excellent.

From time to time I'll go back and listen to that original live arrangement and really enjoy it.  The ending always seems more powerful.

Philadelphia is my favourite version from that Toronto show too.

Agree with you Niko about Darling Pretty and love the version from Vaison 1st night best.

Forgot about the excellent Junkie Doll.  Vienna 2001 is great.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2021, 01:32:50 PM »
Telegraph Road : Paris 2005 or Munich 2005, Nashville same year is very well played too.

Sorry if I quote myself  ;D but thinking of it, some Telegraph Road versions from 1996 were good too. Which ones? They were close so I should listen to some stuff from 1996 again but, back in the days I listened to that tour so much that I felt that I knew every moment of every recording by heart. Still, for me in terms of enjoyment (from MK) and setlist, it remains MK's best tour from his solo years.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2021, 09:21:46 AM »
I first.

May 8, 2013
5.15 AM Lódz - Atlas Arena

Back to Tupelo - Newcastle 2013

The version from Edinburgh is lovely too.

Back to Tupelo - Edinburgh 2005

I was very pleased when he played it in Edinburgh. I think I met you there Val?!

To answer your question, I guess there hasn't been as much variation in the MK solo years?

Dusty - I first met you in the queue for Hay-on-Sky, then in Edinburgh 2008.   :)

Yes, I suppose less variety in MK solo songs on tour, but a lot of variety on the albums.
I feel like we met in Edinburgh as well on year…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We also met in 2013 at the RAH.  I have nice picture of you, pint in hand at The Stanhope Arms! :)
Ooooh the Stanhope arms - the AMIT pub!!!!
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2021, 12:56:25 PM »

We also met in 2013 at the RAH.  I have nice picture of you, pint in hand at The Stanhope Arms! :)

It should rightly have a blue plaque stating: "AMIT met here 2005-2019."   ;D

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2021, 01:05:35 PM »

I always liked seeing the Benny Hill blue plaque on the way from the Stanhope to RAH.

He'll probably get cancelled and it will be removed.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OnlinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2021, 01:34:54 PM »
What comes to my mind right now from Mark's solo tours (at least from those that I frequently listen)  :

Darling pretty : Vaison 1st and 2nd night
Why aye man : London 2002 third night or Newcastle 2010, which is very good too (even if I prefer the non-flute versions). I could enjoy some 2019 versions once in a while (I like the start and the extended violin part at the end).
What it is : Amsterdam 1st or 2nd night in 2005, I can't clearly remember but one has strong guitar solo and solid energy
True love will never fade : LA 2008 or Köln 2009
Junkie Doll : Nimes 2001
Romeo & Juliet : LA 2006
Sultans : Stockholm 96, RAH second night 1996 and Munich 11 april 2005 as a four-piece thing
Bonaparte : LA 2006 (great Stuart Duncan!)
Fade to black : Rio de Janeiro 2000
Everybody pays : La Brasserie 2004
Speedway : for me, the MK-EH DVD version from LA 2006 is unmatched but Indianapolis 2005, Nashville 2005 or Paris 2005 are very good too… or any 2006-2008 version I guess  ;D. I prefer the non-flute rendition for this song too.
Brothers in arms : London 3rd night 2002. Toronto 2001 sounds good as well and Hamburg 1996 too.
Are we in trouble now : RAH second night 1996 or one from the Hillbillies shows at the Shepherd Bush in May 1997 which has an extended solo that goes kinda crescendo. Love it.
The long highway : Vaison 1996 or Copenhagen, both excellent.
Going home : Bolzano 2008 or Vaison 1996
Piper to the end (aah Piper…) : Lucca 2010

And so many more "dream" songs… that will never be played live…  :disbelief
for long highway i gotta correct you, check the OES tour opener show
BIA. toronto, indeed! as it also holds the best STP version
Everybody pays "la brasserie" would that be the belgian radio show thing?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OnlinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2021, 01:35:48 PM »

I always liked seeing the Benny Hill blue plaque on the way from the Stanhope to RAH.

i panicked, reading all these comments unfocused and initially thought the Stanhope is being demolished, lol

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2021, 09:37:01 AM »

Oooh yes indeed, the Benny Hill Plaque.....
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2021, 04:56:21 PM »

Completely forgot about that version of "The long highway" that I might have heard 25 years ago, thanks for the reminder  ;D

Overall I still prefer the 1996 versions but I admit it's cool, especially the end when the band starts to play again. When I compare the OES opening show's amazing setlist with the ultra-static set of the second part of the tour, I can't help thinking that people who attended the very first shows were lucky.

Yep la Brasserie was a promo show. To my knowledge it's the first and only time that Everybody pays was played and I liked it -- drums helped  ;D -- Mark forgot the lyrics at some point and Guy helped him.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2021, 06:50:23 PM »

Completely forgot about that version of "The long highway" that I might have heard 25 years ago, thanks for the reminder  ;D

Overall I still prefer the 1996 versions but I admit it's cool, especially the end when the band starts to play again. When I compare the OES opening show's amazing setlist with the ultra-static set of the second part of the tour, I can't help thinking that people who attended the very first shows were lucky.

Yep la Brasserie was a promo show. To my knowledge it's the first and only time that Everybody pays was played and I liked it -- drums helped  ;D -- Mark forgot the lyrics at some point and Guy helped him.

It was also played on the Ken Bruce show, another promo at around the same time - much better version.  That Belgian one was pretty embarrassing!  :-[

OnlinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2021, 10:02:57 PM »

It was also played on the Ken Bruce show, another promo at around the same time - much better version.  That Belgian one was pretty embarrassing!  :-[
are you dissing belgium here friend?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2021, 11:59:41 PM »

Ha ha, probably demolished too much of your delicious chocolate pre-show!   ;)

OnlinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2021, 08:38:59 AM »

Ha ha, probably demolished too much of your delicious chocolate pre-show!   ;)
fully understandable. now add the beer and it all becomes obvious

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2021, 10:03:51 AM »

Are you talking about the Abbey Road studio thing ? Never heard about it (or maybe completely forgot about it), thanks for pointing out (and with the right drummer again) !

Will listen to the full show tonight at home. Sounds good  ;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 37 queries.