Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Favourite Tour Versions?  (Read 8844 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Favourite Tour Versions?
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2021, 12:34:34 PM »
for long highway i gotta correct you, check the OES tour opener show
BIA. toronto, indeed! as it also holds the best STP version
Everybody pays "la brasserie" would that be the belgian radio show thing?

Completely forgot about that version of "The long highway" that I might have heard 25 years ago, thanks for the reminder  ;D

Overall I still prefer the 1996 versions but I admit it's cool, especially the end when the band starts to play again. When I compare the OES opening show's amazing setlist with the ultra-static set of the second part of the tour, I can't help thinking that people who attended the very first shows were lucky.

Yep la Brasserie was a promo show. To my knowledge it's the first and only time that Everybody pays was played and I liked it -- drums helped  ;D -- Mark forgot the lyrics at some point and Guy helped him.

It was also played on the Ken Bruce show, another promo at around the same time - much better version.  That Belgian one was pretty embarrassing!  :-[

Are you talking about the Abbey Road studio thing ? Never heard about it (or maybe completely forgot about it), thanks for pointing out (and with the right drummer again) !

Will listen to the full show tonight at home. Sounds good  ;D

I think it was recorded live at Abbey Rd and broadcast on the Ken Bruce show along with some other songs:

Boom, Like That
Everybody Pays
Brothers In Arms
Wild Theme

Was about 3 weeks after the Belgian show in October 2004.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2021, 02:35:37 PM »
I stuck my recording on YT a while back.

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2021, 07:36:56 PM »
Good man!   :thumbsup

That good old standby Sonny Liston played too.  How did I forget.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 07:39:03 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OnlineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2021, 07:48:54 PM »

Completely forgot about that version of "The long highway" that I might have heard 25 years ago, thanks for the reminder  ;D

Overall I still prefer the 1996 versions but I admit it's cool, especially the end when the band starts to play again. When I compare the OES opening show's amazing setlist with the ultra-static set of the second part of the tour, I can't help thinking that people who attended the very first shows were lucky.

Yep la Brasserie was a promo show. To my knowledge it's the first and only time that Everybody pays was played and I liked it -- drums helped  ;D -- Mark forgot the lyrics at some point and Guy helped him.

It was also played on the Ken Bruce show, another promo at around the same time - much better version.  That Belgian one was pretty embarrassing!  :-[

Haven't listened to these in ages, very nice to rediscover.
Does anyone know who played in the band on these concerts?

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2021, 12:25:22 AM »
What comes to my mind right now from Mark's solo tours (at least from those that I frequently listen)  :

Darling pretty : Vaison 1st and 2nd night
Why aye man : London 2002 third night or Newcastle 2010, which is very good too (even if I prefer the non-flute versions). I could enjoy some 2019 versions once in a while (I like the start and the extended violin part at the end).
What it is : Amsterdam 1st or 2nd night in 2005, I can't clearly remember but one has strong guitar solo and solid energy
True love will never fade : LA 2008 or Köln 2009
Junkie Doll : Nimes 2001
Romeo & Juliet : LA 2006
Sultans : Stockholm 96, RAH second night 1996 and Munich 11 april 2005 as a four-piece thing
Bonaparte : LA 2006 (great Stuart Duncan!)
Fade to black : Rio de Janeiro 2000
Everybody pays : La Brasserie 2004
Speedway : for me, the MK-EH DVD version from LA 2006 is unmatched but Indianapolis 2005, Nashville 2005 or Paris 2005 are very good too… or any 2006-2008 version I guess  ;D. I prefer the non-flute rendition for this song too.
Telegraph Road : Paris 2005 or Munich 2005, Nashville same year is very well played too.
Brothers in arms : London 3rd night 2002. Toronto 2001 sounds good as well and Hamburg 1996 too.
Are we in trouble now : RAH second night 1996 or one from the Hillbillies shows at the Shepherd Bush in May 1997 which has an extended solo that goes kinda crescendo. Love it.
The long highway : Vaison 1996 or Copenhagen, both excellent.
Going home : Bolzano 2008 or Vaison 1996
Piper to the end (aah Piper…) : Lucca 2010

And so many more "dream" songs… that will never be played live…  :disbelief

I had no idea that Everybody Pays was ever performed live. Found it on YouTube as a audio recording of just that song. I prefer the studio album. Drums too heavy for it IMO. Sounds like Danny’s drumming to me-how much heavier would it have been if Ianto was drumming?!?

Organ was fab but it’s an organ song so I’d expect it to be. (Very Whiter Shade of Pale) 

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2021, 12:43:01 AM »
Apparently it's a four piece band so assuming we have Guy and Danny (yes it's Danny on the drums), who's the fourth one? I hear no bass at all but some mandoline during Everybody pays so I guess that's it's Bobby Valentino.

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2021, 10:27:50 AM »
Mandolin over bass is an interesting choice. ESP for someone as fussy as MK.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2022, 04:40:30 PM »

This was just uploaded on youtube. MK live Berlin 1996.
Great setlist….

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2022, 10:51:39 PM »
Just for the moment.

Telegraph Road, MK-Version from Golden Heart Tour Hamburg Stadtpark 1996. Really bad-ass performance, to me THE BEST version of TR EVER. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Water of love, MK-Version from Golden Heart Tour Vaison, France 1996, really chilling and chreamy guitar. An extraordinary performance of that song.
So Far Away, DS-Version from BIA-Tour, Sydney Australia 1986, the well known Calpyso-Version. Unbeatable
Je suis desolee, MK-Version from Golden Heart Tour, various concerts, brilliant song and composition anyway.
Money For Nothing, MK-Version from STP-Worldtour, various concerts, very thrilling bottleneck-intro performance. Brilliant.

Hmm, that is all for the moment.
We are fools to make war

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 37 queries.