Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Produced by Guy Fletcher  (Read 35918 times)

Offlineknopflertom

• Camerado
Re: Produced by Guy Fletcher
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2018, 01:34:35 AM »
I have a theory (that is a joke at the same time)

MK had to left the sessions for his own record in Guy's hands to go to work with David Greig and Bill Forsyth in the musical with the total approval to Guy yo do whatever he thinks suit the songs better... That's why his influence is that big in all songs.

LOL

Well said  :lol ;D :D
For me the best album appproach since shangri la!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:46:34 AM by knopflertom »
Greetz Tom

Dortmund , Cologne 2015 done
Barcelona, RAH 21st, Oberhausen

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2018, 11:23:11 AM »
Despite all negative comments in here about Guy having too much influence and control over the songs on this album... Mark has probably still agreed on this....

In my opinion this album is soooo much better than Tracker.

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2018, 11:44:54 AM »
Production is such a taste and preference thing. Personally, I tend to very simple production, no tricks or what I think of as emperors new clothes stuff, but sympathetic production that let the songs breathe and speak for themselves. So, some of this album, from what I have heard, has a production approach that I don't like. But every mk album to date has a production I have loved. DS didn't, I didn't like the production on love over gold, BIA or On Every Street.....but I loved, the albums before those, production wise. Ragpicker was wonderfully produced....as was Get Lucky. Tracker was fine but I find Guy's lauding of the production of that, and inevitably this, as a bit odd, like he may have lost a bit of perspective. It's not all about this sonic production Guy, don't forget feel, heart, soul. For me, some of those things get lost when the balance tips over and the production starts to annoy or hinder rather than showcase the songs.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2018, 11:48:51 AM »
Despite all negative comments in here about Guy having too much influence and control over the songs on this album... Mark has probably still agreed on this....

In my opinion this album is soooo much better than Tracker.

It's not negative. If an opinion is not popular it doesn't automatically mean it's negative.
You're right about Mark giving his seal of approval to all this, but it makes me thinking...

Production is such a taste and preference thing. Personally, I tend to very simple production, no tricks or what I think of as emperors new clothes stuff, but sympathetic production that let the songs breathe and speak for themselves. So, some of this album, from what I have heard, has a production approach that I don't like. But every mk album to date has a production I have loved. DS didn't, I didn't like the production on love over gold, BIA or On Every Street.....but I loved, the albums before those, production wise. Ragpicker was wonderfully produced....as was Get Lucky. Tracker was fine but I find Guy's lauding of the production of that, and inevitably this, as a bit odd, like he may have lost a bit of perspective. It's not all about this sonic production Guy, don't forget feel, heart, soul. For me, some of those things get lost when the balance tips over and the production starts to annoy or hinder rather than showcase the songs.

I think Mark always needed someone to steer his decisions, you can notice he's almost never a single producer of the record (and not only legally speaking). So when he had Chuck Ainlay as a co-producer we got all these classic golden perfect albums without experiments, but overall very solid and with perfect production.

But now, when Guy is a producer and can decide, I think he uses his rights on full power. And Mark as a producer can go all other the place. So now we got experiments, stuff like "Chuck, take one" as an intake on the record, songs recorded by a single microphone in a multi-million recording studio, drum beats, etcetera.

I still think that Mark's decision to cut ties with Chuck Ainlay is one of the worst decisions he's ever made.

hunter

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2018, 11:54:28 AM »
What I miss so far is a fat, clean Stratocaster sound. Just listened to Cosmic Square Dance with Mark and Chet, and I'd love to hear that sound again. A bit much overdriven Les Paul / Pensa.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2018, 03:43:34 PM »
Extra! Extra! Just found a cover for the new Guy Fletcher's album :lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqCrVyPBwTX/

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2018, 03:49:14 PM »
I don't know if you realize it, your constant going at Guy Fletcher is not funny anymore.
Maybe think for a moment how you yourself would feel if people would constantly ridicule what you are taking great care of doing.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2018, 04:07:25 PM »
I don't know if you realize it, your constant going at Guy Fletcher is not funny anymore.
Maybe think for a moment how you yourself would feel if people would constantly ridicule what you are taking great care of doing.

Trust me I'm not a kind of guy who can make fun of something/somebody without reasons. I'm just not a fan of praise in general, praise and awards can't give you anything. What's really important is the "other side" and you can only move forward if you're being cut to pieces. Saying "this album is great" does nothing at all. Saying "this Continental organ sounds out of the place" — that's more helpful.

So my goal is to summarise all the "negativity" as some of you call it to show what's not so great about the next "best album ever".

I know that Mark, Guy and the majority of AMITers couldn't care less about it, but I don't care as well. It's a cycle :'(

Love Expresso

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2018, 04:18:56 PM »
It's true that 90% of all negative/critical comments are quizzaciously-related. The overall appeal of the album among AMIT seems to be much better than it therefore seems, as you dominate the "negativity" pretty much.

I don't care about it, do as you like, it is just that it's pretty remarkable that one guy poisons the discussion that much. And no, I am not jealous of you because of that! ;-)

One thing is for sure: This album's diversity is a challenge for this forum. The way we get the songs day by day, gives it more room to discuss every single chord as if we would get it all on one day.

LE

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2018, 04:24:41 PM »
I promised myself that before the premiere I will not listen to anything from the web. It is hard. I only know two singles. I read all reviews and sometimes are daunting:(
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 04:30:58 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2018, 04:33:13 PM »
I promised myself that before the premiere I will not listen to anything from the web. It is hard. I only know two singles. I read all reviews and are sometimes are daunting:(

You're a pretty brave soldier to be able to resist all this internet thing. To be honest I don't know why 16 of November is such a sacred day for the release of an album and why Mark and his management wants everybody to hear it exactly on this day. As if it will change something lol.

I don't think reading the reviews is a good idea though. I've read some reviews and still every song is completely "new" for me.

So don't give a damn about what I say and what others say. You're smart enough to just wait and see the whole picture.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2018, 04:37:55 PM »
I like reading all the reviews, but the new music MK for the first time must sound from the CD :) 5 days
Clear as the day

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2018, 04:48:36 PM »
It's true that 90% of all negative/critical comments are quizzaciously-related. The overall appeal of the album among AMIT seems to be much better than it therefore seems, as you dominate the "negativity" pretty much.

I don't care about it, do as you like, it is just that it's pretty remarkable that one guy poisons the discussion that much. And no, I am not jealous of you because of that! ;-)

One thing is for sure: This album's diversity is a challenge for this forum. The way we get the songs day by day, gives it more room to discuss every single chord as if we would get it all on one day.

LE

You're one of my favourite AMITers and I absolutely agree with you with the exception of that I'm "poisoning the discussion" maybe. Because you know that the more the album gets more "commercial", the more people will praise it and more people will buy it.

I absolutely know for sure that Down The Road Wherever will sell like lemonade on hot day. The album is going to be extremely successful.

And what this means? That for the next one they will probably repeat the same things that made this album so successful and sometimes things like that can be too dangerous. We will hear even cheesier vocals, more synths, more organ, effects, disturbing sounds, more 70s, 80s sound imitation and less percent of "classic" MK songs. But hey, people like it, so why not?

I'm more into classic MK who can do music that really touch people's soul.

But so far most of the songs are ruined by the "killer" production. But it will sell like crazy for sure. And this upsets me.

Love Expresso

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2018, 04:51:48 PM »
I think MK will follow his routine, when it's done, it's done .. it's past .. looking forward etc.. two or three songs will make it live and the next album will be completely different.
Sorry about the poison but had no better word at that moment

LE

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2018, 04:57:20 PM »
"And what this means? That for the next one they will probably repeat the same things that made this album so successful and sometimes things like that can be too dangerous. We will hear even cheesier vocals, more synths, more organ, effects, disturbing sounds, more 70s, 80s sound imitation and less percent of "classic" MK songs. But hey, people like it, so why not?

No. Mark does not record this way. He writes and records what he plays in his soul.
Clear as the day

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 43 queries.